Jump to content

Chessington General Discussion


Ash
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, JoshuaA said:

I honestly think it was a clever move to re-theme and refurbish the rides they did throughout the past few years. Chessington doesn't seem to have much expansion space and a lot of the park was in high need of refurbishment 

There's no question about it: the ride's that the park have refurbished needed it, and it's a good way of keeping the park fresh without adding 'new' stuff. But they're now at a point / very near a point where they can't really do that any more - they need to add proper new stuff (and, really, they should have already added new stuff).

 

I'm just a bit concerned that in a time when investments have been limited within theme parks in Merlin, whether we'll see the stuff that they really need.

 

2 hours ago, JoshuaA said:

I think ever since the mid 2000's the park became a bit of a joke to enthusiasts, sure Wild Asia was a little spur of hope but at that time you still had Bubbleworks and Falls in a state.

I think now also because of Thorpe's current state people now actually appreciate Chessington more. 

 

2010 was a great year tbh. Dragon Falls was fine. Bubbleworks wasn't in an awful state (sure, it had the sponsorship, but it all worked). Runaway Mine Train, though ageing, wasn't in a state. Tomb Blaster's effects were all fine. And they had the success of Wild Asia and Wanyama Village. Even 2011 and 2012 were good, with signs of promise and the Madagascar IP doing the trick for them. It's arguably from 2013 when the lukewarm Zufari came about that their problems truly surfaced and came to light, and it's only recently they've picked themselves back up imo.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Although perhaps lacking the charm and character of Beano, Wild Asia was a great addition to the park, bringing in elaborate theming and other features plus a hefty support attraction. Things were looking so optimistic in 2010.

 

Whilst the park is perhaps the least terrible of the four and the new/rethemed attractions have generally been quite good, there is still a long way to go before the park returns anything near what it once was. Park areas still need some work, with some areas thread-bare with theming and/or looking worse for wear (see Tomb Blaster). 

 

We have also lost three attractions (four if you include Buccaneer) with only one being replaced, so capacity is definitely noticeably lower. 

 

2013 was easily when the park was in it’s absolute worst state.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I honestly kinda like how the park has kinda strayed away from its 'roots'. I feel like at least the park is taking direction unlike Thorpe, they are making changes to the park and some of those additions are pretty good (Tiger Rock and Gruffalo)..

 

10 hours ago, Loggers Creek said:

We have also lost three attractions (four if you include Buccaneer) with only one being replaced, so capacity is definitely noticeably lower. 

What have we lost though? The only ride I would say was much of a loss or handled poorly was Safari Skyway, which honestly became a little redundant after Zufari anyway.

Peeking Heights was replaced with the new tiger enclosure which honestly is more exciting than Peeking Heights anyway. Hocus Pocus, Dragons Falls, and Bubbleworks aren't really losses considering they  are for most parts just re-themes.

 

Black Buccaneer is also bad but honestly I think all Merlin parks are guilty of treating flat rides poorly. Alton Towers had toadstools, submission, enterprise recently, Thorpe Park opened Quantum 3/4 into a season, closed Slammer and hasn't bothered to even remove it a few years later.. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mattgwise said:

Awesome Old Tv show Bodger and Badger Series 4 was filmed at the park. This rare clip shows some of the park including Dragon River from the 90s.  It ironically shows issues from todays maintaining of effects at Merlin parks 😂

 

 

I used to watch this just for the footage from Chessie - although who doesn’t like B&B 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Park was absolutely heaving today, most queue lines were virtually full and fast track was destroying operations. Something is wrong when a park closes at 6 and still has virtually full queue lines and pathways. Rides like Monkey Swinger had full queues because only one member of staff is allocated to it, meaning 6 to 7 mins to get everyone on with all the faff involved with getting guests off, checking RAP and fast track, going to the main gate to let just over half the ride capacity through, then realising you then have 2 spare seats so go and ask the queue again, to then manually check every single seats restraint, etc. Painful! That said staff were trying their best with the situation and I still had a fairly good day. The photos below are of the fast track queue for Vampire at 5:20pm. The main queue was almost full as well. I chose not to brave the potential 2hr plus queue it would be. 

 

20190815_164734.jpg

20190815_164749.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Hi guys. I wondered if someone can explain how the digipass works? I believe it is a wristband that you collect your photos on? If so how does it work, do you get it scanned at each photo point you want the ride photo off etc? Then download the images at home? Also do you collect the wristbands from the entrance or any photo booth?  Cheers

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, wonderer said:

Hi guys. I wondered if someone can explain how the digipass works? I believe it is a wristband that you collect your photos on? If so how does it work, do you get it scanned at each photo point you want the ride photo off etc? Then download the images at home? Also do you collect the wristbands from the entrance or any photo booth?  Cheers

You collect it from the Photo Collection Kiosk in Africa and get given the wristband. That is essentially how it works, there's a code written on the band that you type in on Picsolve's website and gives you all your photos.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, ChessingtonSam said:

You collect it from the Photo Collection Kiosk in Africa and get given the wristband. That is essentially how it works, there's a code written on the band that you type in on Picsolve's website and gives you all your photos.

Cool, so what do you do at each ride/photo opportunity? How do they "add" your photo from the ride to the wristband?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, GetEchoes said:

You ask for it at the ride booth, they then scan your wristband and it gets added to your account.

Brilliant thanks. Taking my daughter for a couple of days soon. Not been Chessington since a wee lad meself. Do the queues die down a great deal in Sep once kids are back or is the park still pretty busy?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, wonderer said:

Brilliant thanks. Taking my daughter for a couple of days soon. Not been Chessington since a wee lad meself. Do the queues die down a great deal in Sep once kids are back or is the park still pretty busy?

Queues at the minute are decent on the app. Gruffalo and Truckers are on 30 mins and Zufari is on 40. Download the app and keep checking, it's much quieter today than it has been over the last few weeks as expected, baring in mind I've found Chessie tend to over exaggerate their queues sometimes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, ChessingtonSam said:

Queues at the minute are decent on the app. Gruffalo and Truckers are on 30 mins and Zufari is on 40. Download the app and keep checking, it's much quieter today than it has been over the last few weeks as expected, baring in mind I've found Chessie tend to over exaggerate their queues sometimes.

Cool, thanks. Last question, we are being dropped off so is that the coach park entrance? Thats what I heard rather than the main car park? And the we can access the safaro hotel through the main park?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, wonderer said:

Cool, thanks. Last question, we are being dropped off so is that the coach park entrance? Thats what I heard rather than the main car park? And the we can access the safaro hotel through the main park?

The coach park is next to the hotels so you'll enter via the much quieter Lodge Gate entrance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, wonderer said:

Cool, thanks. Last question, we are being dropped off so is that the coach park entrance? Thats what I heard rather than the main car park? And the we can access the safaro hotel through the main park?

As Smatty said, in the coach parking youd enter through Lodge Gate. You can access the hotels from the park through the Azteca Gate, by Amazu.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Mattgwise changed the title to Chessington General Discussion

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...