Why not just delay until you have the new signs turn up?

That's the logical thing. If you don't have the materials to complete the job, don't have arse it. I'd be crucified if this my project and the result even temporarily looked like that.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some of this post is dreadful...   I don't think there is any park in the entire world which had the budget Animal Kingdom had when built (it quite possibly still is the most expensive park

StevenVig being unnecessarily sarcastic about a justified comment? Shock horror

Posted Images

Chessington was reasonably well run today in honesty.

-Getting into the park is smooth.

-They've added some high barriers in some of their queue lines (though not others, like Dragon's Fury). 

-One way systems around the zoo areas weren't followed; hard to say if they are just leftover from zoo days or should still be followed as no one was enforcing them

-Rainforest area looks okay for what it is.

My biggest bug bear with the park is how much they're overestimating their queue times. My 75 minute queue for Tomb Blaster was 25 minutes. My 45 minute Gruffalo queue was 15 minutes with a cleaning break. 80 minutes for Vampire was closer to 40, again with a cleaning break. I could go on.

I get these things are hard to judge under the best of circumstance, and social distancing measures make it even harder, and they want to account for cleaning time too. But when queue times are 2-3 times over their advertised estimates, I think they need to look at themselves a bit.

Also wasn't a fan of the operator of Adventure Tree refusing to dispatch the ride until everyone was stood on a social distancing marker (which are twice the distance they should be because they accounted for the middle row of the cattlepen, but don't use the middle row), but not caring about there being a crowd of people outside the queue not distancing. Could have been handled better.

In my opinion, parks should have these social distancing markers and recommend people use them, but enforce masks in queue lines. It's harder to do, but if they commit to it, it's achievable. 

• 3 weeks later...

The irony is they reintroduced them on a troubled day of many ride closures, excessive queues and a now 60% capacity which is higher than it was before. If that was their way of 'reducing queue times' then they haven't got a clue! 

15 minutes ago, JoshC. said:

Thorpe aren't offering Fastrack currently. 

Was unaware that Legoland were too tbh?

Thorpe are doing Fastrack for those who are entitled to it, passholders, Hotel & appears those who pre-purchased before. 

Legoland have had Qbot on sale along with passholders who are entitled to it.

3 minutes ago, Ringo said:

Thorpe are doing Fastrack for those who are entitled to it, passholders, Hotel & appears those who pre-purchased before. 

I think it's only Hotel guests who booked pre-Covid who (should) get Fastrack, and that's usually just unlimited for the first hour. It's certainly not listed as a park for staying there currently. That and those who pre-booked will make up a tiny percentage of people going. 

There's no Passholders who are entitled to Fastrack either (unless people bought the season Fastrack pass if they offered it during off-season, which again will be a tiny tiny proportion of people).

Thorpe haven't been offering Fastrack in a normal sense though; just to a very small proportion who booked it 5+ months ago.

14 minutes ago, JoshC. said:

I think it's only Hotel guests who booked pre-Covid who (should) get Fastrack, and that's usually just unlimited for the first hour. It's certainly not listed as a park for staying there currently. That and those who pre-booked will make up a tiny percentage of people going. 

There's no Passholders who are entitled to Fastrack either (unless people bought the season Fastrack pass if they offered it during off-season, which again will be a tiny tiny proportion of people).

Thorpe haven't been offering Fastrack in a normal sense though; just to a very small proportion who booked it 5+ months ago.

There’s still some Vip passes out there as well as seen them in the queue (was posted on TowersStreet that Towers are giving Vip passes a £20 voucher per visit as compensation for no Fastrack)

Hotel guests, someone asked on Twitter at reopening and the park said hotel guests would still get it and the few people you see queue supports that. Also noticed some who have a printed ticket.

As you say it’s a small amount but Fastrack is in operation just not available to buy online or on the day. 

Visited the park yesterday and despite Covid was perhaps the busiest I’ve ever seen the place! Although distancing and regular break downs didn’t help. 

Managed just six rides in eight hours so not the best. However they did extend close upto 7pm which rarely happens at the park. 

Covid measures were hit and miss. Some worked well, others didn’t as some people weren’t following this. Some pathways and areas were impossible to do so due to the giant queues. 

Managed to try Tomb Blaster 3.0 and it’s quite a mixed bag. The lighting in some places seems better but is largely ruined in places due to fan systems exposing natural light. 

The audio isn’t easy to hear in places and makes capturing the story trickier than it should be. The park clearly tried to make an ailing dark ride a shoe-string budget blockbuster but didn’t quite work out that way. Still a better ride than DBGT. 

Didn’t try the new/updated Rainforest attractions but they looked ok for what they are aiming for. 

On 9/1/2020 at 9:11 PM, Matt Creek said:

Interesting to see the ride revealing it’s original colours after ten years.

Anyone else remember when it was Billy’s Whizzer?

None of those colours are actually from Billy's Whizzer but  just the colour of the skeleton underneath all the decoration, none of that would ever usually be  seen. It's quite cool to see how it works underneath.

• 1 month later...

Went two days ago, vastly different trip to other parks I've been to this year. I'll start with the negatives.

- Park reliability. Deary me. Closed all day were Scorpion Express, Seastorm and Jungle Rangers (what was Toadies). Add in that Dragons Fury opened at 12.

- Couple that last point with the fact that Wild Asia and Tiger Rock opened at 1pm. Not even 12pm but 1pm. Tiger Rock didn't open at that time either. I'm not that plugged into the matrix anymore so I didn't know that a quarter of the park doesn't open till further into the day. There was no signage to indicate that at the park entrances, only once you get to the areas themselves.

- There was some kind of gathering today because there was thousands of Jewish kids on park. 

- No social distancing whatsoever. By far the worst park for it that I've visited this year.

I genuinely find it astounding that after the year its been, the park has such huge reliability issues, that they open 5 of their rides half way into park opening and that based on pre-book numbers (after all you can't get in unless you book so they know numbers) that there was no foresight to have everything open at 10. With Fury having a moment, there was no fallback, with no Scorpion or Seastorm, there was no support rides. I've just come from Europa Park where without fail, rides are either open on time or open earlier. I will hold them to the same standard because the on the door price is only £7 more expensive.

And breathe.

Positives are:-

- The rides are looking the best they have done in years. I genuinely feel happy that all of these 30 year old rides are getting the attention they deserve. Vampire station was lovely with disco organist and the new music mix they're using. Really really nice to see.

- I liked the new Tomb Blaster. Even with the cheesy factor of the radio, I think they've done a good job with lighting and a lot to the scenes were very dark with only the lasers from the gun creating lights, particularly in the sphinx room.

- Gruffalo is my favourite ride in the park. It's got so much charm and you can tell that it is really looked after with all effects working. 

- Love the Zoo. Two tortoises were having the slowest time of their lives..

So all in all, a mixed bag

On 10/9/2020 at 6:14 AM, Mark9 said:

I genuinely find it astounding that after the year its been, the park has such huge reliability issues, that they open 5 of their rides half way into park opening and that based on pre-book numbers (after all you can't get in unless you book so they know numbers) that there was no foresight to have everything open at 10.

Wild Asia/Tiger Rock opening at 1pm is nothing to do with ride reliability or needing extra time, those areas have been opening later on quieter days, presumably because of the effects of COVID and the cost-conscious world most businesses are now working in. On busier days, they have been opening at 10am like the rest of the park.

Those areas don't have many rides and on these quiet days they don't have big queues so 5 hours open is plenty of time. Obviously ideally everything would be open at 10am but this is just the world we are living in now with hospitality/leisure badly affected by everything.

7 hours ago, professorb said:

Wild Asia/Tiger Rock opening at 1pm is nothing to do with ride reliability or needing extra time, those areas have been opening later on quieter days, presumably because of the effects of COVID and the cost-conscious world most businesses are now working in. On busier days, they have been opening at 10am like the rest of the park.

Those areas don't have many rides and on these quiet days they don't have big queues so 5 hours open is plenty of time. Obviously ideally everything would be open at 10am but this is just the world we are living in now with hospitality/leisure badly affected by everything.

I know its not because Tiger Rock and Wild Asia are ride reliability, I know exactly that its cost cutting, because I used to work there. The problem is, when I went, it wasn't a quiet day. And they knew this because they have direct access to gate figures through having to pre-book.. These cost cutting days are nothing new at all. They've been pulling this nonsense since way back when. Is a 60 minute queue for Dragons Fury considered short in the days of covid?

When you say these areas don't have many rides, Wild Asia has the most rides of any area in the park and Tiger Rock is the highest throughput ride there. I did a bit of working out. There are 21 rides at Chessington. On my visit, between 10-12, Tiger Rock, Jungle Bus, Jungle Rangers, Monkey Swinger, Kobra, Seastorm, Dragons Fury & Scorpion Express were unavailable. Thats a hell of a lot of real estate just sitting there doing eff all.

Did creepy caves twice today, it’s incredible. 

There’s around 10 actors in there and the maze is so compact that you’re constantly being terrorised by at least 2/3 of them. Without spoiling it the first scene is great, and if it was done without COVID being a thing could possibly be made into one of the scariest moments Merlin has ever created in a maze (think start of subspecies mixed with E10).

The main portion of the maze is awesome, with great lighting, audio and multiple other effects throughout. It is such a loud maze. Actors use the theming and surroundings to their advantage... I never knew a log and metal drum barrel could make such a loud bang. 

Going thru in your own group because of social distancing makes it so much better, and the actors do a great job of terrifying despite not being able to get too close.

I won’t ruin it but the finale is truly something special and something I’ve never seen been done before, or even heard about. It has potential to be a proper run out depending on the run through you get and where actors are in the maze when you’re in the finale section.

Overall, this is the best creepy caves yet and is definitely not a family attraction. The actors and their costumes are truly amazing and would scare the absolute crap out of any child who couldn’t handle Thorpe mazes.

In my honest opinion this is miles above anything Thorpe has produced since 2017 (bar creek) and will be even more terrifying post-COVID restrictions whenever that may be. 

The only slight negative I can think of was that it’s rather on the short side, but it doesn’t really matter considering how intense it is from the moment you step foot inside. As annoying as the upcharge is, it’s definitely worth it every single time.

After doing it, I honestly can’t see a good reason why creek couldn’t have opened this year with some adjustments. Creepy caves has just as just smoke and much narrower corridors and still manages to be both safe and terrifying at the same time.