Rumba Rapids

Ash

The cannon was installed last year or the year before I think, and was used regularly on hot days last season. Having been under it it is quite something, you get tidal wet!

They don't use it now for some reason, possibly because chucking that much unfiltered water (Rumba is in natural water, like loggers) might not be the best idea health wise. Shame though, it really is superb.

I've never seen so much water and thought jesus whoever that hits will get really really wet!! ha ha ha ha ! it just missed one of the boats!

Yeah I know its in natural water, can smell it - full of duck poo!! EWWW! Yeah I guess you wouldn't want that chucked over you!

It was immense watching it though!

It is not possible to filter that volume of water at that speed, a pump like that needs to be fed from clean water. And there is no way to have the source clean as it is part of the general water system, fed from and feeding into other water sources (as opposed to tidal, which is its own enclosed system).

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Sorry I'm a bit late on the ball on this but when I went to Thorpe in mid July time I noticed that Rumba wasn't open and going nearer the area and whilst on other rides I could see that the water was completley gone from the ride area which was a bit strange to see. I assume this was to do with cleaning or something but it was very cool :P Also the music on this ride rocks! XD

As far as I know...

Loggers and Rumba are 'open systems' of the lake water and are only filtered to the extent of removing lumps, not in a water cleaning sense.

Tidal is a 'closed system' of proper filtered and cleaned water which can't just be pumped to and from the lake because of the chemicals used.

Think I'm right in saying that?

As far as I know...

Loggers and Rumba are 'open systems' of the lake water and are only filtered to the extent of removing lumps, not in a water cleaning sense.

Tidal is a 'closed system' of proper filtered and cleaned water which can't just be pumped to and from the lake because of the chemicals used.

That is correct

Considering a lot of the time you barely get touched with any water on rumba rapids, you could be riding on toxic waste and you would be fine.

I'd like to see that changed. As a water ride, you should get wet and they should incorporate some more water effects onto it (I'll say it again, like the one at Drayton Manor!)

As far as I know...

This is beacuse the law was changed in the late 90s and all new water rides can only splash you with clean water. Old rides don't need to be changed so loggers leap and Rhumba Rapids are the same as they always have been, but Tidal Wave uses clean water.

It's the same at Alton Towers, the flume and rapids use lake water but battle galleons fills the boats with clean water through the masts when they are in the stations ready for the guns to use.