The Smiler

th13teen

After not even putting a toenail out of line during this whole thing, I'd be surprised if Varney really did say it in the manner that the Fail are describing it.  Then again, the victims have been very reasonable and understanding when it comes to the public speaking about the event.  So it's hard to tell really.

Maybe there was a misunderstanding when a question was asked or something?  Whatever it was, I just can't see Varney or anyone from Merlin saying to a victim 'We're losing money because of the crash and we want to reopen the ride as quickly as possible', as is being described in the article.

Just read the article and, well it's The Daily Mail soooo you have to take what they say which a pinch of salt (or bag full). It would make sense for him to speak to the victims before reopening The Smiler out of respect - however after the way he conducted himself with that awful interview with Kay Burley, and even just after the incident he seems to be very diplomatic. If (and it's a big if) he did explain the situation in the way it's described I would be very surprised.

I for one hope that The Smiler reopens soon and that Merlin pick up business at Alton Towers but at the same time I can see why the young lady would feel angry at them - all the victims have been extremely dignified following the accident and their bravery has been outstanding - they probably hoped it would never reopen again and if it does then maybe it's too soon for them to mentally absorb (if that makes sense) - in less that a 4 month period so much has happened to them - yes they will be compensated and have already had payments but perhaps it feels like a kick in the teeth to reopen a ride that they thought was going to kill them.

Of course we all know that they wouldn't open it if it was unsafe but none of us were there on that ride during the terrible accident or could comprehend how it has affected the people involved emotionallt

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well the outcome of the investigation does not surprise me one bit and am glad the ride will be reopening again next year regardless of the press's ignorant views.

That being said, this accident should have never happened in the first place and I am sure it was unavoidable, which as a result we are set for a dark age for the forseable future at our Merlin parks as a result.

Well the outcome of the investigation does not surprise me one bit and am glad the ride will be reopening again next year regardless of the press's ignorant views.

That being said, this accident should have never happened in the first place and I am sure it was unavoidable, which as a result we are set for a dark age for the forseable future at our Merlin parks as a result.

It was very avoidable...

Interesting comment seeing as the ride operated as it should have. This was down to human error, not the ride. Gerst and intamin are the only really possible manufactures for the smiler anyway. Intamin would have had throughput issues so Gerst were pretty much the only option. 

It's quite obvious that The Smiler has a problem with stalling, that is not "operating as it should have".