Next Big Thing - 2016 Development ?

pluk

That's not the point Ethan. My comparison to Expedition Everest was purely speed-based. A coaster that can travel at 50mph doesn't have to cost $100,000,000. The point was that a family coaster doesn't necessarily need to be the speed of the Flying Fish.

Get out.

For me, Thorpe need to stick with something reliable, and put their own stamp on it. I'm not asking for the world's most anything, but to get the postcode's first something would be a bit **** as well. I think they need to bring something reliable and relatively unseen to the table and make it uniquely British. This would be very easy with a Mack Megacoaster รก la Blue Fire or Helix, or a GCI/GG (not RMC thnx), as they're yet to touch these shores and they have nothing but rave reviews by all riders. A Wooden coaster that utilises the parks topography to it's full potential would be equally well received, as the last wooden coaster built in the UK is 18 years old.

I agree with Dara, I would like something reliable and is straight-forward and effective. I think a Blue Fire or Maverick-type coaster would be amazing. It's always been a thing of mine that I don't like Stealth and love Rita more. There's nothing I wouldn't love more than to have the top hat of stealth with the layout of Rita. Blue Fire looks incredible (haven't ridden it) and so is Cheetah Chase, which feels amazing to ride (Oct 2013).

I think a Woodie is much-needed and long overdue and it would be fantastic if Thorpe were to build a Woodie, and show the GP what has been accomplished and innovative changes have been made to Woodies since the last one was built in the UK.

The Woodie would give Thorpe that diversity when it comes to coaster types and it would demonstrate how much differently a Woodie feels to ride than a steel coaster. I loved Gwazi a lot actually and we went on it several times in Busch.

Don't get me wrong; I love Oblivion and it's potentially my favourite UK coaster. But I don't want Thorpe Park to get a Dive Coaster under any circumstances

Even a standard sit-down B&M would be good if it had an interesting layout? No gimmicks and amazing theme anyone?

1) I would love a B&M sit-down like Kumba and I think it's smoother and better than Colossus. I think the theme and concept of Colossus is fantastic. This may be an unpopular opinion, but I am here for Colossus (Intamin) being replaced by a B&M sit-down, with a name similar to Colossus or to keep the same one for legacy reasons.

2) I don't want Thorpe to get a Dive Coaster seeing we have Stealth and SAW, which have similar vertical-features. Neither do I want a Floorless seeing as we already have Swarm but if Thorpe WAS going to ever get a B&M sit-down than they can get floorless seating.

3) I'd be very happy if Thorpe could get a Flyer, seeing as I thought Manta and Air were very good, despite providing different experiences. I also don't get why some people are saying Swarm and a Flyer are the same or provide a similar experience. Swarm if anything, is like a Floorless coaster.

Edited by Will

someone said to me that at a behind the scenes on nemesis, the engineer stated that the next coaster WILL be on the island behind swarm and WILL be b&m, but when asked what type, they hadn't confirmed that yet!

That is not how the commissioning process works. They'll decide what thay want from the coaster first, then chose the manufacturer to suit, not the other way round. Uness they are working with b&m on an entirely new product, which merlin do have a strong track record for.

If it's gonna be a B&M, why not have a Hyper coaster? Considering how fab Shambhala is as well, it would be a perfect addition to not just the park, but the UK as a whole...

That would be good, but the height restriction the park has would stop if from being able to compete with the likes of Shambhala - not that that necessarily matters.

Tbh, a hyper coaster doesn't need to be tall to be considered world class, all the intamin megalite clones are widely considered some of the best rides on the planet and that translates on the mitch hawker polls, also B&M have made smaller hypers like, Goliath in La Ronde and Apollo's chariot in BGW, both under 200ft both considered world class rides. So height with hypers, isn't everything, all merlin need to do is create a great layout it can be considered thorpe's first world class ride (because lets face it, there are none at the park at the moment).

all merlin need to do is create a great layout it can be considered thorpe's first world class ride (because lets face it, there are none at the park at the moment).

I would consider Colossus to be World class along with The Swarm,Rush and Slammmer

I would consider Colossus to be World class along with The Swarm,Rush and Slammmer

I'd hardly consider the coasters as world class because half of Colossus is just the same element over and over again and swarms layout is a little short and uninspiring personally compared to layouts like Raptor and FDD IMO, but yeah Rush and Slammer are world class flats :P

I know it's not a coaster but if thorpe are gonna get a big coaster then maybe upgrading Detonator to one of the funtime drop towers. I'm sure you can get a park model :). They have more seats but are not as forceful as detonator.

Thorpe don't really need it to be honest, Detonator hardly get's ques anyway.

I would like to see a taller drop towers maybe at some time in the future, but I wouldn't want to see one with less power.

If anything is going to be deemed 'world class' - although it is a term that makes me cringe a little - surely it should be Swarm, although the ride is a little short, the experience, the ride it self and the theming is amazing. It's not as forceful as a lot of us expected but as far as I'm aware I'm pretty sure that's the general consensus with all the wing-riders.

does any one know what the height restriction is at thorpe?

and I think that they might do something a little more than a repaint maybe new seats/carriage?

Stealth was a one-off and they had to paint the top half white so it blended and wasn't being visual pollution. For their plans for the next coaster, it wasn't going to exceed a certain height, can't remember what it is exactly but quite a bit smaller than Stealth. Airtime machine would be nice, and it doesn't have to be huge either.

I think that it will work well in the park because they don't have many airtime elements in there coasters the only ones I can think off are Colossus and saw but they only have the 1 and it will be perfectly located at the back of the park behind swarm making it easy to get to because I think that it is a hassle to get to at the moment

While that does sound cool, I'm not sure it would happen. Thorpe already have a ride with one of its only focus points being the launch so that box has already been ticked.

Even the flying thing to some extent is covered by Swarm. Obviously the ride designs are quite different but the experiences would be you're either flying on the wings of an alien or you are taking flight yourself...

According to RCDB, Piraten is 101 foot tall. I'd really be up for Thorpe getting something like it, maybe even the Mack version. The ride just packs such a punch for something so little.

It's not very gimmicky unfortunately - the only way around that would be to think of some worlds first themeing!?