Fright Nights 2014

JoshC.

I'm fine with using strobes at the end, but having them all the way through the maze really detracts from it, one thing Asylum lacked was scene variation, studio has this, but it's kind of hard to notice when you're constantly being blinded by strobes. Turn them off, replace it with some atmospheric still lighting a day they'll be on to a winner.

The problem with stories is that Thorpe seems to think that a little exposition at the start makes a story. It doesn't.

I will need to do a re run of Studio to see if it has improved.

I was grabbed by a Cabin Actor and thrown back and fourth thrown in a  room in my own actor grabbed me left me in the room until my group where just leaving then they shoved me with my group to be greeted by a clown  :( I HATE CLOWNS.

Edited by J.S217

The Preview Night yesterday was fantastic, all coasters were on two trains and the mazes are top notch this year.

POTENTIAL SPOILERS AHEAD.

Here are my maze reviews as promised:

Cabin in the Woods

This maze has improved to no end this year!  Theming is high quality (and more of it), audio nice and loud, actors on top form and the new additions are fantastic!  (Especially the mirror/window scene but I won't spoil it).  Lighting has also been improved so that you can still see the really nice scenes, whereas the basic corridors have more frantic lighting and smoke.

Overall I am really impressed at this superb attraction this year.  Whilst not scary it is brilliant fun, and made me jump on more than one occasion!

As always however, there is still room for further improvement and I would like to see a better ending next year.

8/10

My Bloody Valentine

This maze has also improved hugely on last year, mostly due to the addition of more lighting.  The theming in this maze is actually amazing, and it is much better this year as you can see it.  Actors were also brilliant in this maze, with the murder scene being my favourite (where Harry Warden is murdering another actor) - this was actually convincible!  The ending was also better, as there was a really good jump scare on all three of my goes (and it varied which is also good).  The audio was nice and loud in this maze as well.

Again there is still room for improvement, and I would like to see more bloodied bodies around the maze and blood on the walls etc.

8/10

Studio 13

I was disappointed by this maze.  The audio was rubbish both in the queueline and maze.  It created no atmosphere at all, was too quiet and didn't give the maze a sense of fear.  The strobes were good, but the audio let them down as they didn't fit with the calm, dull music that was playing.  Strobes need to feel frantic, crazy and they only work if the audio suits them.

The theming quality in the maze was good in some parts, however a lot of it was just black walls which was a bit disappointing.  Also it was hard to see any of the theming with the lighting.  The first corridor still felt like Asylum, but apart from that it didn't really resemble it which is good (however there was some chain fencing).  The chainsaw finale was still there but didn't work anywhere near as well as last year, as the hiding places were gone and the room just painted black.

Overall I much preferred Asylum, and am quite disappointed that this didn't live up to it.  Bring back Asylum I say!

6/10

Saw Alive

Basically the same as usual, but with better lighting.  The theming quality is really good but that's where the positives end.  The actors don't really seem to understand the films (apart from a few), and are in the wrong places in the maze - for example in the pendulum room the actor was just walking around rather than in the trap.  The weakest maze this year in my opinion.

5.5/10

The Blair Witch Project

I really enjoyed this!  It has been improved a lot since last year with new theming and much better actors.  The finale shed was also much better this year.  

Great family scare attraction, and it achieves what it sets out to do this year.

7/10

Also, most mazes had new smell effects this year which was good!

Yet again there was barely any park-wide theming, although this was the preview night so hopefully they will add more.  However the majority of scare attractions had improved greatly, and if we still had Asylum instead of Studio 13 and some park-wide theming then I would call this the best year for Fright Nights yet.  As it stands however, it's missing it's signature attraction.

I am visiting the event three more times this year so hopefully Studio 13 will improve.

The Preview Night yesterday was fantastic, all coasters were on two trains and the mazes are top notch this year.

Having ridden Colossus & Inferno that night, I can confirm they definitely only used one train, at least when I was there which was 9-10pm. They may have run two earlier, but I somehow think that's unlikely. I think Saw was running all 8 as it took a while for the car to reach the end of the station.

Didn't do Stealth & Swarm (:o shocker) but can only guess Swarm at least was running both but can't say.

Agree about Cabin though, still the best for me and Blair witch has I proved a lot.

Here's 3 things I'd like to see go meek fright nights even better

1/ park wide theming

2/ more scare actors

3/ a bit more park audio

The scare actors were fantastic making the picture frame and then suddenly scaring everyone. Would have liked to see more though.

Swarm was running two trains when it must have been about 8pm. I can also confirm that saw was on 7 cars and stealth was on 2trains at 10pm(last train of day). Inferno was dispatching awfully slowly so I presume it was on one however Colossus seemed to be going around very regularly so I thought it was on 2. Glad to see all rides including slammer open though!

Having ridden Colossus & Inferno that night, I can confirm they definitely only used one train, at least when I was there which was 9-10pm. They may have run two earlier, but I somehow think that's unlikely. I think Saw was running all 8 as it took a while for the car to reach the end of the station.

I rode them both earlier on in the evening and they were on two, so they must have taken them off later.

Studio 13, first run through of the night. Started so well, ended very disappointingly! Hopefully it's improved next Friday as I heard it was better later on last night.

MBV is still awful. How that gets 5 star scare rating is the scary thing.

Saw Alive has new evil apparently. No idea where just seemed like a load of people shouting at me.

Cabin is cabin. Had such high hopes for this after last year but again it was just meh. Loved the costume that we voted for or whatever that was amazingly done but yeah. No spinning tunnel (well no spinning) just boring I thought.

Blair Witch exceeded expectations! Maybe my hopes were so low it couldn't get any worse. It was fun, raining and dark. Didn't hear the new ambient soundtrack though!

Roaming actors were like non existent in our experience. Saw them once all together on Swarm island. Saw Olly Murs more times (and his costume was better). 

Maybe I've been spoilt with Tulleys, they have next week to redeem themselves otherwise Chessington will be scarier, not just better! Negative review done.

Haven't really seen much on the roaming actors, were there any present last night/tonight? It's the one thing I'm most dying to hear about!

There weren't many, there was a set which moved around the park and did freeze frames and you could take your picture with them. They would then suddenly scramble and scare everyone in the area before moving on to a different section. Apart from that I just saw a few here and there including a clown on a motor scooter but there weren't many, I would have liked to see more located around the park, hopefully it will improve as the event goes on.

I saw the Director come out of studio 13, and there was a guy with a teddy bear and several others. But drumroll, please...

Thorpeparkfreaks Big Fat Guide To All The Mazes

• Studio Thirteen- meh
  • My Bloody Valentine- meh with gas masks
  • Cabin in the woods- meh with doors
  • Saw Alive- meh with lots of strobes
  • Blar witch project- meh with trees

Saying that, the best scares came from BWP. These are the first mazes I've ever done, so it was a bit of a disappointment as I found the mazes quite hilarious as I just laughed myself through them.

Just came off of studio 13, didn't like it to be honest the scares were really lazy, strobes are just annoying and the final scene is disappointing seeming as chainsaw guy didn't chase us, he just stood a corner doing barely anything and I just walked out which was a bit dull... 4/10 for me really well themed but the reasons above stopped it from getting any higher for me.