New For 2015

At least Penguins of Madagascar will be an in thing at the time. Plus they were my favourite characters from the stage show anyway. Penguin Cove revamp has been needed for a while so nice to see it's being done.

This isn't the announcement of the elephant replacing the skyway though so we still have that to look forward too :) (I can't find the other countdown page, chessington.com/2015 just leads to the Penguins page now with the countdown on that page)

At least Penguins of Madagascar will be an in thing at the time. Plus they were my favourite characters from the stage show anyway. Penguin Cove revamp has been needed for a while so nice to see it's being done.

This isn't the announcement of the elephant replacing the skyway though so we still have that to look forward too :)(I can't find the other countdown page, chessington.com/2015 just leads to the Penguins page now with the countdown on that page)

It would seem that they just hadn't got round to changing the link, Penguins was indeed the countdown.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

so yeah just reviving this topic as chessington have added a webpage with what's new for this year, although we already know... not sure if we knew the little kids drop tower (not sure what it's called) is being rethemed to fit madagascar penguins.

http://www.chessington.com/2015/penguins.aspx

It’s operation have fun at Chessington from Spring 2015, as we dive into the Year of the Penguins, with lots of brand new experiences to be had:

• DreamWorks’ Penguins of Madagascar descend for an exclusive new live show “Penguins of Madagascar Live: Operation Cheezy Dibbles”.
  • Stay over and join the Penguins on a secret mission in one of two exclusive new Penguins of Madagascar themed bedrooms at the Chessington Safari Hotel.
  • Bounce high into the sky on a newly themed Penguins of Madagascar ride for young adventurers.
  • Humboldt penguins frolic in a brand new enclosure and walk-through experience.

If the penguin enclosure and experience are of a good size and are interesting then I think it could be a neat little addition.

With the addition of Amazu, the zoo felt particularly small today when not having the monkey and bird garden. The addition of a new encolsure will be extending it out and making it more worthwhile. Hopefully also means that the whole of this new area will be open for African adventures next year as it is the ideal area to open up! :)

• 3 weeks later...

As a show, I thought it was far better than Prepare to Party. It feels of higher quality than expected. The songs are also fairly infectious and catchy. The costumes are soooo much better too. Moving beaks, blinking eyes and of course the Skipper transformation made the stage feel so much more alive compared to PTP's idle jumping and waving.

Down sides are however that the set doesn't look even remotely African, it sticks out like a sore thumb, and although very impressive it's own right, it just doesn't really work with the area. The only other issue is that the music is so loud that you can hear it from Market Square.

The costumes cost a staggering amount of money from what I know and apparently manufactured by Jim Henson company, founded by Jim Henson one of the most influential puppeteers ever, so not an simple job!

Could this money and development have been put to better use than a second Madagascar show? Yes, but it's tourist trap culture so… at least they've put in this effort

Something to watch when none of the rides are open I suppose.  :ph34r:

I made it about 5 minutes in before I could tolerate it no more, but then I'm not target audience! Trying to put myself in the kiddies shoes, it seemed to lack interaction. Maybe that improves later in the show, I don't really intend to find out. 

I will miss "Hip-Hip-Hippotamus" I shall admit...

What I will say, is why couldn't we have the Circus show, as that was surprisingly fab (probably because you could treat it as a circus show with added Madagascar elements, and some actual pyrotechnics involved compared to the original show at Chessie)...

• 1 month later...