Project WC16 - New for 2016

JoshC.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't even know who Derren Brown is :(

Is he that good that there is a reason to make a ride based on his work?

What he is, whether you actually like the sort of things he does or not, is a hell of a showman.

His TV shows, and probably to an even greater extent his live shows, are incredibly cleverly and slickly produced, and often hinge on the tiniest details. They intelligent and fun and intricate and grand.

All the things you want in a dark ride, basically!

I've never seen him put his name to anything that isn't excellent. If he does have proper creative control of this, and I would think he would as his name is his brand and could be easily tainted, then I would expect something pretty excellent.

I don't even know who Derren Brown is :(

Is he that good that there is a reason to make a ride based on his work?

Just so you can get a bit more of an understanding of what he does, I advise you watch some videos on his YouTube channel! I think they're all snippets from his TV shows. At least that way you can see what people are speculating over :)http://youtu.be/dy75GtKsOAw

Honestly my biggest concern with the ride (well concern isn't really the right word) is how Derren Brown will feature, I mean I like his shows and I'm sure he has some great ideas but I can't really imagine what a ride designed by him would be like.

That's not a bad thing neccessarily though, I imagine it'll essentially be a unique ip with just his creative input which could lead to some interesting things, bringing someone in who isn't just focused on creating the next big ride with the most inversions, steepest drops or whatever, but more of a unique experience that'll focus on the mind could lead to something pretty cool.

My only worry is that'll he'll somehow feature all over the ride for the celebrity factor instead of just being a creative force, not that I have anything against him but if the ride is just him saying mysterious things over some speakers while a few trippy visuals play out I'm not sure about that.

Though I guess this is still all speculation anyway at the moment.

Honestly my biggest concern with the ride (well concern isn't really the right word) is how Derren Brown will feature, I mean I like his shows and I'm sure he has some great ideas but I can't really imagine what a ride designed by him would be like.

That's not a bad thing neccessarily though, I imagine it'll essentially be a unique ip with just his creative input which could lead to some interesting things, bringing someone in who isn't just focused on creating the next big ride with the most inversions, steepest drops or whatever, but more of a unique experience that'll focus on the mind could lead to something pretty cool.

My only worry is that'll he'll somehow feature all over the ride for the celebrity factor instead of just being a creative force, not that I have anything against him but if the ride is just him saying mysterious things over some speakers while a few trippy visuals play out I'm not sure about that.

Though I guess this is still all speculation anyway at the moment.

Pretty much my thoughts

And Saw/I'm a Celeb/Angry Birds aren't?

I don't recall singing the praises of every other IP Thorpe have ever used. Am I not allowed to critique one without throwing shade at them all? I really can't comment on Angry Birds, that brand isn't exactly intended for me. But as for Saw the franchise was kinda at it's peak when the ride was built and as a stand alone horror theme for a ride it works. You don't have to have seen a single Saw film to get the story of the ride, serial killer/maniacal contraptions/scary ride, done. 

Sorry, I've just always hated magicians. 

Next clue Monday by the looks,

Back on the topic of Derren Brown. Whilst I'm not the biggest fan of external park IP's (bar movie themed parks), a Ride themed around his work with lots of illusions and effects could work very well and be a fantastic ride if done right (and then well kept).

I saw Derren Brown live last January and was really impressed with all his tricks and illusions, not to mention the use of theatre and showmanship during the whole show which without wouldn't have been half as good. It left me talking for hours after the show was over.

Sorry, I've just always hated magicians. 

I feel like calling Derren a magician is such a slap in the face.  He's said time and time again he uses Psychology and suggestion rather than 'magic'.

I respect him so much for doing the things he does and admitting and accepting the science of it all rather than being all 'A MAGICIAN NEVER REVEALS...'

The human mind is very powerful