Hyperia - New for 2024

Mysterio Ka

Great news.

I was wondering if anyone knew if the second train has tested yet?

Also I've seen some videos of the trains going around with the water dummies 'open', letting all the water come out around the circuit.  Does anyone know what would be the purpose of this?  I'm assuming simply that it's easier to empty the water this way than take the dummy out of the seat and tip it over! But wondered if there was another reason?

10 hours ago, Benin said:

Will be part of the testing process. Look like important staff people.

Probably aiming to stick their arms out to make sure the reach envelope is good.

Wonder how much someone could claim if that went wrong...

4 hours ago, Inferno said:

Great news.

Unsure.

We can see during the human rider video that there's still one train on the track. But that doesn't mean they haven't switched and cycled out.

4 hours ago, Inferno said:

Also I've seen some videos of the trains going around with the water dummies 'open', letting all the water come out around the circuit.  Does anyone know what would be the purpose of this?  I'm assuming simply that it's easier to empty the water this way than take the dummy out of the seat and tip it over! But wondered if there was another reason?

I believe the park said on their passholder group that the tops just came loose; these things happen.

Equally, it is also just a great way to empty them haha

7 hours ago, Inferno said:

They've confirmed tonight it'll be testing for the first time next week.

Also, this below suggests we're getting extending opening hours for opening day/weekend which would be nice.

Capture2.jpg

Anyone concerned about the lack of themeing? This is essentially a tin shed rollercoaster… not a chance the landscaping is ready for opening. After strong themes around all of Thorpes previous rollercoasters (bar maybe stealth) I’m feeling kinda disappointed especially looking at what Mac have done with Vultron. Or will this turn into a 2 year project whereby next years new addition will be some added themeing to the ride?

Hyperia doesn't need theming, or a story or anything like that.

Granted, the station exterior isn't the best looking. And it will take a while for the landscaping to bed in and grow. And things like the queue line fencing (and queue design in general) are bland. 

But at the end of the day, this is a 236ft tall monster of a coaster. The 'Find your Fearless' tag suits. The atmosphere will be upbeat. That's all it needs.

Would theming be nice and add to it? Yes. Does theming not being present take away from it? I don't think so.

Do agree with Benin that they need to stick with a direction.

I personally think it’s a shame it’s not themed. The main appeal is obviously the size but just think back to when Colossus was built - the appeal then too was the size and the 10 loops, it could easily have been left with a tin shed station, a concrete pit etc a la Sik at Flamingoland. And same again for Stealth, its main selling point was the height and launch. The minimal 1950s American drag race theming elevates it from what could have been just a plonked generic white coaster.

Hyperia will be standing for the next 30+ years, I think it’s a wasted opportunity to build something that looks so bland and generic (and possibly even ugly with its cigarette butt supports). Once the hype dies down, we’ll be left with an unthemed coaster into the 2050s in a park that clearly does value theming, as we’ve seen what they’ve added to Colossus and Stealth this year. Even the newly refurbished toilets this year are themed more than Hyperia!

I just think it’s the long term vision for the park that has been let down with this project.

Wasn’t there some mention a while ago that this project came about and was all agreed under “old Merlin”, so the theming etc was left at the time?

I suppose a “retheme” is possible at some point later on. Because as has already been said they do seem to value theming everywhere else, and Merlin have even said recently that they are going with immersive attractions going forward.

I do agree thigh that Hyperia doesn’t really need a strong theme at the moment.  It would have been nice, but it’s ok. I hope going forward though they do stick with theming their rides 

49 minutes ago, Inferno said:

Wasn’t there some mention a while ago that this project came about and was all agreed under “old Merlin”, so the theming etc was left at the time?

I suppose a “retheme” is possible at some point later on. Because as has already been said they do seem to value theming everywhere else, and Merlin have even said recently that they are going with immersive attractions going forward.

I do agree thigh that Hyperia doesn’t really need a strong theme at the moment.  It would have been nice, but it’s ok. I hope going forward though they do stick with theming their rides 

Yes on the pre-season VIP tour with Russ, he said had the project been planned by “current” Merlin there would have been more theming.

2 hours ago, JoshC. said:

Hyperia doesn't need theming, or a story or anything like that.

Yet Thorpe have added that naff bit of LORE for whatever reason. 

Think if compared to Icon's station building the lack of themeing elements on this is far more noticeable in the wider context of the park. Was a good opportunity to tackle the area as a whole but seems to be mish-mashy as a lot of the old Canada Creek buildings haven't been touched? Unsure if anyone has documented as such.

2 hours ago, Benin said:

Was a good opportunity to tackle the area as a whole but seems to be mish-mashy as a lot of the old Canada Creek buildings haven't been touched?

The Burger King and toilets have been refurbed. All other Canada Creek buildings were demolished. I agree that there should be a wider, more cohesive, 'area', but everything has been touched.

7 hours ago, JohnnyRocket said:

Yes on the pre-season VIP tour with Russ, he said had the project been planned by “current” Merlin there would have been more theming.

All well and good to say…. But it’s still the same people at Thorpe and MMM. I see that as more of an excuse, like the viewpoint lake being cut? Is that current or old Merlin?

I think the lack of theming with Hyperia was always to be expected though, it’s rather difficult to theme something 236ft tall. However, that said, I do agree Thorpe could have done more with the stylising of the coaster, maybe some rock work or stand out theming pieces where the ride swoops close to the ground.

We’ve had the debate about it being an old era Merlin project taken over by the new team before, and I think this has definitely had an impact on the theme. So it’s not entirely a complete reflection on the future of the park, but it also doesn’t pain a good impression on visitors; Thorpe’s newest coaster is a gold box with an incoherent theme about flying or something.

They’ve re-uploaded it now 

It’s all a bit wtf.   Feels like a real “doing your homework on the school bus” situation.

Hopefully this disappears soon as honestly it cheapens the whole thing.

They’ve made the decision not to theme the ride - I think just go with that. It’s too late to have this AI generated stuff tacked on, it really takes away from what they’ve built I think.