Derren Brown's Ghost Train: Rise of the Demon

Marc

HI,

Yes, this definitely helped. It's made me quite intrigued. So I'm guessing if this thing were to, perhaps, drop it probably wouldn't be too big of a drop but enough to make your stomach go a bit. Lengthwise is interesting. Imagine if some of the tracks go sideways, assuming there's a lot of movement of course.

Would you guys say that immersive tunnels, assuming that's what this is, are more visual in nature, do they feel more like simulators with a lot of tilting, or does the vehicle actually move forward so it could feel a bit more like a train?

HI,

Yes, this definitely helped. It's made me quite intrigued. So I'm guessing if this thing were to, perhaps, drop it probably wouldn't be too big of a drop but enough to make your stomach go a bit. Lengthwise is interesting. Imagine if some of the tracks go sideways, assuming there's a lot of movement of course.

Would you guys say that immersive tunnels, assuming that's what this is, are more visual in nature, do they feel more like simulators with a lot of tilting, or does the vehicle actually move forward so it could feel a bit more like a train?

I've only ever done Kong at Universal Hollywood, but the vehicles do move around and jolt quite a bit; that said it is massively screen based as the show is all around the vehicle.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

HI,

I've done the Shrek adventure one and maybe if a lot of work was put into it then it could be made to feel like a train but it would need the VR and the use of some very clever audio as well 

The Derren shop is simply great! Love the elements in the shop and the merchandise within! It's all done so well.

Few bits and bobs close up

25649389113_9df31d45c5_b.jpg26159638072_430c70e9e2_b.jpg25649400603_a1dcea2f3f_b.jpgDid not get many photo's but I wanted to highlight stuff not yet covered much! (looks at levitating train :-) )

Don't know if anyone has mentioned that one of the heads in the glass is actually a clown head (Big not so flop at the end)

25649456273_f23cf29003_b.jpg

Finally just got a few bits of the flower beds with train related / not related junk in them which I quite liked :)

26226236666_0703c6177c_b.jpg25649486293_06b5c1b516_b.jpg

There was a trainer covered in moss which looked a bit out of place (I lost the picture of that) but apart from that nothing else really to report!

Oh I did get a boring picture of an open door

26252214085_3eb9ee3362_b.jpg

Now that is all.

I'm glad someone got a picture of the flower beds on here; whilst it's a pretty standard Merlin abandoned style, it does work with the building nicely.  I also love the slanted blue mugs; certainly one of my favourite theme park mugs! :wub:

Lack of Preview Day is curious and worrying, especially since they mentioned very explicitly there would be one..

Three player chess? hmmm, definitely seems a bit of a different, querky merchandise item.

About immersive tunnels: I'm actually a huge fan of motion simulators even though I can't see. It's one of my favourite ride types because they often theme them well with lots of sounds, so I'm guessing an immersive tunnel is a bit like an evolution of a motion simulator?

back on topic: thorpe doing a soft opening would probably be a good idea, whether they'll go ahead though... well I guess we'll have to wait. It could show that they are really trying to take it seriously. Don't get me wrong stuff like The Swarm has some good audio effects and theming around but I think we really need something quite grand now. I'm not going to lie, roller coasters half do, half don't interest me because for a lot of them there isn't enough audio elements around their queue lines or even on board audio. Yet if you ride something like Expedition Everest in Disney World, that lift hill is filled to the brim with audio. It's why I'm hoping for some sort of darkride element to this, I'm not expecting Disney level because that's another level entirely to be honest, but something with a bit more audio or more effects than a typical merlin ride wouldn't really hurt.

I'm very confused. I've now been told that the rehearsal day is happening. Apparently that message was asked on the 19th March and then another message said it is happening on the 23rd.

I honestly don't know what's happening; it's too confusing [emoji33][emoji27]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have just read on that the annual pass rehearsal day is happening. That is according to Thorpe Park/Alton Towers Updates facebook page.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Just to let you know, that's my page and I still have no idea whether it's happening or not :/

This is all to confusing for my tiny brain!

I see my brief message to Thorpe Park has arisen!

For those who were wondering I sent this message to Thorpe Park on the 19th of March. There was what seemed to be a lot of confusion with if there was one or not as 4 days later (23rd of March) they changed their minds and told me there will in fact be a preview day. Not too well organised if you ask me...

Here is my full conversation with the resort -

14jykyh.jpg

The way the conversation reads is that there is that any Annual Pass preview is not going to be a 'day long' thing, but instead some sort of evening event or ticketed time slot system. Hence why they are saying there is no preview day.

Agree with Ryan that the best thing would be to wait for an announcement from Thorpe to spell out exactly what is happening.

Sounds like a really good quality piece of kit, unlike another VR option at a theme park nearby... Only negatives are the price and it being a pain to wear for long periods of time, which isn't something that will affect us on this ride. I really do think this whole project is going to be very exciting :)

Sounds like a really good quality piece of kit, unlike another VR option at a theme park nearby... Only negatives are the price and it being a pain to wear for long periods of time, which isn't something that will affect us on this ride. I really do think this whole project is going to be very exciting :)

If you want to have a play with it yourself you can book a session on them at a few places. I did this the other weekend an did a review from the slant of being a theme park enthusiast over on the main site. p.s. You don't realise how good the experience is unless you try yourself so go and book up for an experience.

http://www.thorpeparkmania.co.uk/articles/27-03-2016/HTC+VIVE+-+Review+from+a+theme+park+perspective

EDIT -- Fixed meaning changing typo - thanks Ian :)

The only VR I've used is the Samsung Gear which I believe is in use at the Six Flags parks. Even though it's cheap and simple it's a really good device and experience. Now with the Vive being much more advanced and tested I have high hopes for the VR section of the ghost train.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• JoshC. unpinned this topic
  • JoshC. pinned this topic