Derren Brown's Ghost Train: Rise of the Demon

Marc

41 minutes ago, StevenVig said:

This is a forum about rides, run by people who are interested the industry, ride systems and operations. 

It is a given that people will discuss how it works, anything less cannot be expected. You of all people should fully understand this.

I do understand it, very well in fact. My point is that thorpe have asked if we could please not go round telling everyone how it works etc, at least until it is fully open, working and everyone's ridden it. 

11 minutes ago, Ryan said:

I do understand it, very well in fact. My point is that thorpe have asked if we could please not go round telling everyone how it works etc, at least until it is fully open, working and everyone's ridden it. 

No more to add - We cant stop the discussion about it but the park have kindly requested the secrets of the attraction are not revealed - this is especially more reverent during the rehearsal stage before the official launch of the ride :)

7 minutes ago, Coaster Jamie said:

I'm not sure why people are complaining about spoilers in a spoiler topic, ridiculous really.

Thorpe Park have asked to keep secrets to ourselves, it would be nice if we could at least do this until the ride is fully open.

Ghost Train is an attraction in a similar vain to Derren's shows - spoilers are explicitly asked not to be shared.  And when you see any review of Derren's shows, there's never any major spoilers, aside from the odd mention of the odd set piece.

It was always going to be a big ask for people to not go into insane amounts of detail about the attraction online, since that's what happens with every major ride around the world these days.  And I doubt people truly expected it to stay a secret for so long.  However, I do agree it would have been nice for full out spoilers to stay out of the public domain until the ride officially opened.

14 minutes ago, GladiatorFanKyle said:

A certain someone has made an entire video about everything that happens inside the ghost train and also explained how the ride works.... it's live on youtube and not even private. the ride is no longer a secret! shame some people have to ruin it for everyone else! 

I do understand your comment but surely one is not compelled to watch it are they?

15 minutes ago, GladiatorFanKyle said:

A certain someone has made an entire video about everything that happens inside the ghost train and also explained how the ride works.... it's live on youtube and not even private. the ride is no longer a secret! shame some people have to ruin it for everyone else! 

They haven't ruined it. They say spoiler alert about 3 times before they go in

2 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Just a shame thorpe asked people to keep it a secret and everyone's talking about the details in here.

But if nobody's signed anything then legally that's fine. I, myself, being a 13 year old with Aspergers who's easily scared, almost needed spoilers to decide whether or not I should/could ride it. After looking at said spoilers I decided it wouldn't be a good idea. Besides, why is there a spoiler topic if we can't give away spoilers? 

I thought Mr Sanbrooke would have known better.  

For the parks sake, try and keep it a secret. It's what they asked for and as Merlin have been having a rough time recently - I'm sure they'd appreciate us making an effort to keep the secret. They've spent 3 years designing and creating this attraction without giving anything away, yet 3 days into rehearsals everything has been given away. 

As people know - as the official fansite we have a close working relationship with the park - the park have kindly requested that the secrets behind how the ride functions are not spilt during this testing period and we respect that. I encourage people to discuss their experiences but will request that major spoilers such as how the ride system works etc are not posted here during this rehursal period :) 

Feel free to PM me if you wish to discuss this.

Yeah because Merlin respect their guests like that, we owe it to merlin to keep their ride secrets a secret.....NOT!

Paying guests have given away a rides secret? So what? They don't owe Merlin or Thorpe anything! 

They'll still get guests going specifically to ride it.

Edit: Marc, I see your point as you have an interest in keeping a good relationship with the park, as individuals though, we don't owe Thorpe anything!

30 minutes ago, Graeme said:

Yeah because Merlin respect their guests like that, we owe it to merlin to keep their ride secrets a secret.....NOT!

Paying guests have given away a rides secret? So what? They don't owe Merlin or Thorpe anything! 

They'll still get guests going specifically to ride it.

Edit: Marc, I see your point as you have an interest in keeping a good relationship with the park, as individuals though, we don't owe Thorpe anything!

I never said we owe Thorpe anything. Nor did Marc.

All I said is that it would be good for the company if we respected them and did as they asked. They're given us a multimillion pound dark ride that TP fanboys have been asking for for years and yet you still want do the opposite to what they asked. 

Keep it a secret and then it will help Merlin. Helping Merlin wil give them more money. More money will mean more investment into parks. More investment will mean more rides. More rides will mean better parks. Better parks will mean happier us!

5 minutes ago, CharlieN said:

I never said we owe Thorpe anything. Nor did Marc.

All I said is that it would be good for the company if we respected them and did as they asked. They're given us a multimillion pound dark ride that TP fanboys have been asking for for years and yet you're still not happy. 

Keep it a secret and then it will help Merlin. Helping Merlin wil give them more money. More money will mean more investment into parks. More investment will mean more rides. More rides will mean better parks. Better parks will mean happier us!

More rides don't always mean better parks. For a park to be "good" in my eyes, it requires more than just rides. Thorpe is run far from this.

As for helping merlin....I feel no brand loyalty to them what so ever. First time in 11 years I haven't renewed my MAP! I hardly think for one second that they put the ride in for the fanboys, they did it for more money!

What I would say, is out of respect for Marc and the site that he has built, keep spoilers off. Not because Thorpe asked us to! 

People will not just "stumble" across spoilers, they will go looking for them. It won't impact on Thorpe parks numbers.

• JoshC. unpinned this topic
  • JoshC. pinned this topic