Derren Brown's Ghost Train: Rise of the Demon

Marc

A walk down a rainy Monks Walk reveals that the building's walls are now up, and much of the brickwork fascia is there. Looks good, if a little "fake" at this stage. Note also how the nice cream brickwork fades into a yucky brown colour towards the right hand side of this photo...

But is any of the ride hardware already contained inside...? :ph34r:

2016dec15construction3.jpg

More snaps at Total Thorpe Park :)

I believe that is the intended colour as the 'brickwork' appears to be a textured vinyl-y layer that can likely be made to any colour, rather than painted. They've already cladded the whole thing and roofed over the tops of it, so it would be impractical if they were then wanting to paint it. A nice homogeneous shade of ugly. Please do better big cool sets inside thanks bye

At a quick glance, I thought the bricks were real (even despite knowing it wouldn't be, since that's what is mentioned in the plans).  

Given it's not finished yet, it's hard to judge straight away.  The plans seemed to make out that the exterior would be a bit of a darker shade than what's there so far.  So who knows? 

One can always exaggerate and overanalyse that it's a terrible exterior, just as much as one can make endless excuses as to why it's good. But forget all the enthusiast logic, familiarity, plans, theme and expectations.. Think for a moment, is a flat wall of grey bricks exciting to anyone? Of course not.

Now the building is certainly a work in progress, and the exterior of a dark ride is ultimately pretty irrelevant to whatever is inside. But you can already see how indifferent people will be to the exterior of the ride, because it doesn't look interesting.

My main problem with this modern uk idea of theme design is that they don't have the guts or perhaps awareness to build anything genuinely effective, it's always so fiddly and thinly spread. I mean, we're here theorising over the quality of the brick lining and its colour, when there should at least be the foundations of something pretty unexpected and wonderful looking coming together by now. Even if they had just a few thousands to spend on the outside, there's always a way. :)

I don't disagree with anything that you're saying, far from it.  But sometimes it feels like people jump the gun a bit too much, a draw conclusions too quickly.  

For me, I'm not judging it yet when it's not necessarily finished, out of context with the attraction, etc.  Of course, I'd love it to already be great without the context or being finished, but there we go.  

It's a little early for the critics! They will most probably apply after effects to the outside to age it and theme it! I remember when CATCF when up at Alton Towers. The moaners where out in force as soon as the initial facade went up, but once the imagineers had finished with it, it looked fab and they found the inside to moan about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I honestly think it would be for the best if Thorpe Park built high walls and blew up Monk's Walk because people should never really see a work in progress of any creative project .

And then the ride can severely disappoint or pleasantly surprise on the day, having met people's overly optimistic or low expectations.

If you look at the below pic, they have started the aging process on some of the bricks to the right. That smudgy gray is the first layer of aging. They start with new loking bricks, then coat over with a base layer and then add detail. So we will get the grayness and then probably some other colours washed over like green for mould etc. I am sure I remmeber seeing that they did similar on Saw.

2016dec15construction1.jpg

• JoshC. unpinned this topic
  • JoshC. pinned this topic