2019 Season

Marc

In fairness, I think air conditioning is something which is severely lacking across the UK in general. Many places when designing buildings don't really see it as necessary due to it likely only being needed for a very small time each year, so some buildings simply don't include them. And when they are included, in many cases they are poorly executed (poor air flow stopping it from cooling rooms/buildings equally). It's certainly something which should be focused on more, more generally too.

I don't know how easy it is to retrospectively fit that stuff in, but hopefully they can do something with the Dome soon. Even on warm days, the downstairs area in particular can be unpleasant.

4 hours ago, JoshC. said:

In fairness, I think air conditioning is something which is severely lacking across the UK in general. Many places when designing buildings don't really see it as necessary due to it likely only being needed for a very small time each year, so some buildings simply don't include them. And when they are included, in many cases they are poorly executed (poor air flow stopping it from cooling rooms/buildings equally). It's certainly something which should be focused on more, more generally too.

I don't know how easy it is to retrospectively fit that stuff in, but hopefully they can do something with the Dome soon. Even on warm days, the downstairs area in particular can be unpleasant.

Exactly my thoughts.

It definitely can be done, and it would be great to have the Dome properly cooled to give a central place to cool off and eat, shop etc in the height of summer, even just as you walk through having queued for security in the sun. Probably wishful thinking though as with this year's highlight addition being a bouncy castle, it's probably at the bottom of the priority list for investment. It would be quite a large system to cover a space of that size too.

Even the toilets at DLP are heated/air conditioned all year round though! Little things like that make such a difference. And when late October Fright Nights comes around and its 5 degrees outside.. there's hardly anywhere around to warm up either!

The dome is a very large open space where the structure itself wouldn't be that strong and airflow is a nightmare. I have doubts that the dome would be able to support an air-conditioning system large enough to be able to cool the dome effectively.

The other issue is that as standards change any updates to the building typically require the whole structure to be brought up to standards. So the cost of installing air-conditioning might lead to significantly more work. Its just not worth the hassle for a couple of days where its too hot.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure where to put this, but I believe on Thursday last week (5th September) BoohooMan did an event at Thorpe which included a range of Love island contestants and other 'celebs' (ahem), It was a launch of a clothing collaboration with 'Deno' (never heard of him). I think other than 500 people who entered a competition to win a ticket to this event, it was closed to the general public (assuming just in the evening).

Unsure if this was to help raise hype for thorpe and therefore subsidised... If not hopefully it generated a bit of cash at least!

39 minutes ago, pluk said:

This was being advertised today on the screens in Inferno queue. A clothing range. Really adds to the tropical volcano theming I'm sure you'll agree.

"We're not getting enough people through the gates to make money. What should we do?"

"Use the park as an advertising space, make extra money that way. Doesn't matter what we advertise tbh"

"BRILLIANT!"

2 hours ago, JoshC. said:

"We're not getting enough people through the gates to make money. What should we do?"

"Use the park as an advertising space, make extra money that way. Doesn't matter what we advertise tbh"

"BRILLIANT!"

It's surely only a matter of time before Swarm billboard becomes an actual billboard for real ads?

7 hours ago, pluk said:

It's surely only a matter of time before Swarm billboard becomes an actual billboard for real ads?

Fortunately, due to the sheet size of it, one of the conditions on it when it was built was that it couldn't feature real adverts!

But this is Thorpe, who sometimes don't know the back of their own hand, so I wouldn't put it past them..

• 2 weeks later...