London Dungeons

Cringle

The boat ride is interesting. A lot of turns but it is in the dark, so you can't see many things and the drop is nice and refreshing as well, if the environment is a bit warm. The drop tower ride is fun and ends the day great from my opinion. Unexpected and more to it then what is expected.

• 2 weeks later...

'It's a fully themed experience. That means 360° sets, full on authenticity and theatrical storytelling.'

Just spotted this paragraph on the website for Blackpool Dungeons as I am going next weekend... which made me think of London Dungeons, and looked on their page to find exactly the same sentence; surely they don't class a black painted roof with pipes etc. 360degree sets aha!

'It's a fully themed experience. That means 360° sets, full on authenticity and theatrical storytelling.'

Just spotted this paragraph on the website for Blackpool Dungeons as I am going next weekend... which made me think of London Dungeons, and looked on their page to find exactly the same sentence; surely they don't class a black painted roof with pipes etc. 360degree sets aha!

I find the Blackpool Dungeons much better themed than the new London Dungeons, which I found really disappointing.

I find the Blackpool Dungeons much better themed than the new London Dungeons, which I found really disappointing.

I done the old London one back in 2009, and done the new one last September, and again this March, was very enjoyable and better themed as it needed updating from the tired looking old one, just a shame about the roof... The first time I didn't even notice and then seen all the complaints on here about the roof, and on my second visit couldn't help but notice it -.-

Anyway looking forward to my first visit to Blackpool Dungeons, as well as Madame Tussaud's, Sea Life & Blackpool Tower... Gotta love Merlin Annual Passes! :-)

I done the old London one back in 2009, and done the new one last September, and again this March, was very enjoyable and better themed as it needed updating from the tired looking old one, just a shame about the roof... The first time I didn't even notice and then seen all the complaints on here about the roof, and on my second visit couldn't help but notice it -.-

Anyway looking forward to my first visit to Blackpool Dungeons, as well as Madame Tussaud's, Sea Life & Blackpool Tower... Gotta love Merlin Annual Passes! :-)

I really liked the old London Dungeon - it might not have been in spotless condition but that all added to the feel of it IMO, I noticed the roof as soon as I went in, whereas with the old one the ceilings were either themed or so high up that you couldn't see them.

Gutted that I never got to go to the old dungeons as it would have been good to compare the two. I have never noticed the roof on the dungeons, though having said that, I am not the most observant of people :ph34r:

I've been to the new dungeons 3 times (since December) and enjoyed each visit - I guess (well for me anyway) it's one of those attractions which you can definitely do multiple times and still enjoy.

The actors I find are really good - at my last visit I had a guy (at the beginning before you go in the lift) stare at me in a creepy way and wave his hair at me - it was a tad disturbing :lol: then later on, another one discussing his bowel movements with me totally staying in character :wacko:

Edit: the boat ride - if you don't want to get wet do NOT sit in the front :P

Edited by Han30

• 3 weeks later...

From Screamscape...

2014 - The New Tyrant Boat Ride - (5/20/14) The London Dungeon has revamped their boat ride and will open the new version as the all new Tyrant Boat Ride on May 24th. Even better, you’ll encounter the 3D projection of Brian Blessed standing in as Henry VIII who will sentence you to death.

???

The boat ride at London is closed at the moment for it's annual maintenance. I'd imagine it will be changed slightly as it has the ability to do so now it uses a lot of projection work over animated theming like the old Traitor Gate: Boat Ride to Hell at London Bridge :'(

Also since everyone's comparing; the old Dungeons were a better vibe. The arches played a great part in this but that aside the idea of walking up and down stairs and ramps like you do at present doesn't tick the right boxes with me; and I feel the same about Blackpool at the end.

• 2 weeks later...

I have just done the Amsterdam dungeons, that had themed ceilings ;) what rides are there in the London dungeons, since there are none in the new design of the Amsterdam one?

You did only just miss out on the cred in Amsterdam...

They'll put in the drop towers soon enough...

• 9 months later...

I've published a short video about some of the old attractions at the Tooley Street London Dungeon including old footage and interview excerpts with designers. Through my dark ride project I've learnt a lot about the original London Dungeons and how much it evolved long before Merlin/Tussauds took over. The original 1988 Great Fire of London scene was much longer and intended to be educational as well as immersive, although the massively truncated version with the street sets and spinning tunnel is more well remembered.

The original Fire scene was redesigned into the French Revolution by the same team that redesigned The 5th Dimension for its second season. They also installed the brilliant Judgement Day boat ride before all the effects were removed and it was ruined into 'Traitor'.

You can watch a video of the original boat ride here.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Worst run through ever today. So boat ride wasn't working, fine I've heard that's regular and the lift works fine around that problem to get you straight to Guy Fawkes (as does the first script so they must have two). All is going fine, found some of the moving rats on the paths you can stroke, they were cool. Get to Miss Loveits pie shop and it's now a shop for cat food... oh? No body coming down the hatch, nothing. Oh. Turns out the Sweeney Todd section has been awfully overlayed as Jack the Ripper (because there isn't enough of that already). Well woop. Mirror maze was smashed so we had to go through the actor and staff area between the street and pub scene (quite cool but still eh). Pub scene wasn't fully working with many effects not working. New scripts for the court room were just silly. They were funny and kinda relatable before, now just stupid comedy effect, nothing else. Didn't ride Drop Dead, it's so rubbish compared to Extremis. Was just hugely disappointing, didn't have the atmosphere it usually does and it just seems to be getting more incoherent each time (especially with 6 scenes or something for Ripper).

Worst run through ever today. So boat ride wasn't working, fine I've heard that's regular and the lift works fine around that problem to get you straight to Guy Fawkes (as does the first script so they must have two). All is going fine, found some of the moving rats on the paths you can stroke, they were cool. Get to Miss Loveits pie shop and it's now a shop for cat food... oh? No body coming down the hatch, nothing. Oh. Turns out the Sweeney Todd section has been awfully overlayed as Jack the Ripper (because there isn't enough of that already). Well woop. Mirror maze was smashed so we had to go through the actor and staff area between the street and pub scene (quite cool but still eh). Pub scene wasn't fully working with many effects not working. New scripts for the court room were just silly. They were funny and kinda relatable before, now just stupid comedy effect, nothing else. Didn't ride Drop Dead, it's so rubbish compared to Extremis. Was just hugely disappointing, didn't have the atmosphere it usually does and it just seems to be getting more incoherent each time (especially with 6 scenes or something for Ripper).

That doesn't sound good at all.  People pay a high price to enter the Dungeons and having two main sections (boat ride and mirror maze) closed is not acceptable.  Also, why ruin Sweeney Todd for Jack the Ripper when they already have a substantial section on it?

I'm also very disappointed to hear about lots of broken effects, for an attraction which relies completely on these for the overall experience, having more than one or two broken effects is just poor.