Slammer

Artie

Leave Slammer alone whilst it's working. If When it breaks down this year you can start rumours that people have been killed by Slammer.

A serious answer for you TPJames, Slammer hasn't broken down upside-down with people on and like he who shall not be named said, there are no crash mats because you unload on the ground. But for fun they don't tell you which side to exit as the announcement always fades out when it would tell you so you are left guessing ;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone,

I'm going to Thorpe Park in a couple of weeks and I've always looked at Slammer as one of the rides in the park that I wouldn't ride if somebody paid me. I suffer from slight motion sickness (To the extent that I can't read in the car because I start to feel sick) and therefore have always shied away from flat rides that either spin or go upside down. I seem to be fine on coasters and I wasn't feeling to bad when I came off of Maelstrom at Drayton Manor. It's not just Slammer either, I've shied away from Vortex, Zodiac and Samurai as well.

So what I'm trying to say is, do you think I would be able to ride Slammer and the other rides without coming off, feeling sick and ruining my day. Obviously I don't want that to happen considering that my location in England (North-East) limits the amount of times I visit Thorpe Park to once every couple of years. Should I give them a try?

Well Vortex is pretty similar to Maelstrom, just facing inwards, so don't see why you can't do that. I would personally stay away from Zodiac as it is one of the rides that do make me feel ill after going on. although motion sickness mainly seems to be going backwards, as my friend suffers with it... so I wouldn't recommend you do The Swarm backwards. Samurai goes forwards and backwards, in my opinion it's worth you giving it a try (if it's open!) as it runs on a fairly slow setting, so doesn't 'chuck' you around like the fairground versions, and it is indeed a very good ride. Slammer is a great ride, but doesn't last very long (3 rotations forwards & 3 backwards), so it's probably worth giving it a try. The best thing to do is leave these few rides towards the end of the day anyway, just in case...

Slammer 'spins' vertically if you like, so it is a similar motion in some ways to the more traditional spew rides. It really powers through though so doesn't really give you the stomach left behind feeling. I have a few friends who feel sick from rides that spin, they have all ridden Slammer without issue except one who did get sick in the same way as he would usually.

Slammer is unique and going through a rare patch of running well, who knows what'll happen next time it dies. I'd say while you can try it just before the park closes so if you don't take well to it you won't ruin the rest of your day. Who cares if you feel sick on the way home!

• 3 weeks later...

Just been on Slammer for the first time and despite being unsure of it I loved it and enjoyed the ride thoroughly. I hope the ride will remain at Thorpe for at least a few years as its quite a unique experience. I can now happily say I've been on the worlds only sky swat.

Whilst the ride remains economically viable to run in the eyes of the park then they will keep it. I understand the ride hasn't been breaking down anymore than usual recently but I would be very surprised if the words "Shall we bother keeping this ride?" have not passed the lips of Thorpe or Merlin management at some point, especially during the extensive downtime it had where signage was removed.

Hey, I just read the restrictions of the ride and it says that the maximum weight is 110 kg... why is this? I have never seen a ride where it is a maximum weight... the restrictions are usually the size and so on.

I'm sad, my boyfriend's weight is 112 kg and he won't be able to ride... :(. And how can they know wich is your weight?

And there is't another ride in the park with this restriction, is it?

Thank you, I didn't know that... And they have an scale or something to know your weight? And I don't understand one thing... if there are on the ride people with a weight of 100, it is more than if it's on the ride one person with a weight of 112 and the rest with a weight of 60... so I think that if the reason is to be balanced it should be the total weight of the passengers...

The weight restriction is there because in theory it could unbalance the ride but in reality it doesn't. I think it's more there because the restraints can come up quite small on some people, but there aren't any scales and staff members would never ask you for your weight...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

According to Theme Park Logic Slammer has conked out again...

QUOTE:

Theme Park Logic

NEWS: Thorpe Park Flat Ride Slammer closed again!
Slammer at Thorpe park is closed again following a repeat issue that cost the ride most of the 2012 season
A compressed air generator is outside the ride which we believe was used to bring the ride to the ground this morning due to the issue..
So do you think Slammer's time is finally up?
Picture below confirms Slammer is out of order