Alton Towers General Discussion

themeparkmad

Those views are actually a lot better than I thought they would be; I stand corrected!

I wouldn't be surprised if Oblivion and Smiler are the more popular ones though (much like how Swarm is the most popular one at Thorpe) simply because people would expect the best views from them.

^ More than just a few trees, but nothing stands out to me about that view - you can see those two coasters from a similar perspective on the monorail.

You mean that gorgeous view over Staffordshire does nothing for you? Imagine how gorgeous that view would be on a sunny day.  I wouldn't pay £50 for it, but the views are good nonetheless.  :wub:

If I had to pay to walk a lift hill, I'm pretty sure it's a much more pleasant experience having a walk on a coaster lift at Thorpe (preferably Swarm although Inferno's is amazing to see Thorpe), or really any at Towers; than to walk up the Pepsi Max Big One... Oh look, some sand, oh look, an oil mark, oh look their last major thrill investment in the form of a relocated Vekoma SLC that's rougher than a bear's behind...

If I had to pay to walk a lift hill, I'm pretty sure it's a much more pleasant experience having a walk on a coaster lift at Thorpe (preferably Swarm although Inferno's is amazing to see Thorpe), or really any at Towers; than to walk up the Pepsi Max Big One... Oh look, some sand, oh look, an oil mark, oh look their last major thrill investment in the form of a relocated Vekoma SLC that's rougher than a bear's behind...

Don't see what the point being made here is - Swarm and Inferno's lifthill show you the view across Thorpe, PMBO's lifthill shows you the view across BPB, I don't see why it's being brought up.  Personally I'd much rather climb PMBO's lifthill as it's taller and offers a much better view in my opinion.

It offers a view of Blackpool...

Automatically makes that view worse than any other ride's lift hill in the UK...

I know it was a joke but I don't get all the hate for Blackpool.  Sure, as a place to live in it's probably awful, and it's not exactly picturesque but the promenade and attractions make it a great place for tourists - where else can you find a theme park, water park, tower, circus, dungeons and a beach all in one place?  I know that some of the people there (I.e. people asking for money for "beer") let it down, but then the same could be said about London and lots of other places across the country!

I also think it's unfair to rate a park based on where it is.

Anyway, back on topic...

For a park that claims to be world class (which is in some cases), this is a very disappointing move from the park.

Opening hours for a park of this size should be more like this:

Weekdays during term time 10-5

Weekends during term time 10-6

School holidays easter 10-7

School holidays summer 10-8

Scarefest 10-9

I take it merlin has cut budgets across the board. Hence why a lot of rides seem to not have finished winter maintenance. I understand they are trying to maximise returns for shareholders but I don't think that cutting budgets so much that rides have to close and park hour are reduced to stupid times is the right way forward. Alton is in the middle of no where. If the park isn't open for very long then people just wont go. 

Unsure if this has been mentioned yet but...

I have heard "Rumours" that Nemesis Sub-Terra will only be opening from 12pm onwards each day this year and will no longer have the 2-3actors at the end it used to due to the budget cuts.

The way Merlin runs completely baffles me sometimes.

Unsure if this has been mentioned yet but...

I have heard "Rumours" that Nemesis Sub-Terra will only be opening from 12pm onwards each day this year and will no longer have the 2-3actors at the end it used to due to the budget cuts.

The way Merlin runs completely baffles me sometimes.

Yet another example of introducing something good and then letting it deteriorate over time.

Hopefully they will at least be creative and introduce dummies made to look like people with gas masks on and strobes that flash infrequently (therefore tricking people into thinking that they are real people), but they probably won't even do that.

What concerns me more is that Nemesis Sub Terra requires an ABSURD number of staff given how unpopular it is.

There are typically around 10 staff in total... madness.

Alton Towers need to add rides that don't require such absurd numbers. Perhaps automated locker facilities would help, too.

When riding NST last year, I thought it was a really good experience. Our whole group was really getting into it; screaming, laughing, running as fast as we could. The actual experience was really exciting, intense and dramatic for us and the actors at the end who jumped out at us with the torches continued to add to the experience.

I wouldn't say that it has a particularly high re-ride factor, however I found it really enjoyable first time and it's a shame to see a quality themed, exciting experience essentially be put to waste.

I won't be surprised if this attraction is SBNO by next year along with the blade and ripsaw to make way for the "new ride".