The Smiler

th13teen

Just because Saw is rough, doesn't mean every single Gerstlauer built is rough, from what I've seen/heard, its actually fault on Thorpe's side (groundwork wise), not Gerstlauer's trains/track & other components, but yes I would like to see over-head lapbars rather than standard over head restraints, but who knows.

Saw is not rough!

Due to the ranging opinions on Saw, it must be down to how tall you are. When I call Saw rough I mean it bashes the hell out of my head by forcing it in all directions and hitting the restraint. Also I find it really hurts my neck at some points (e.g the transition from the drop after the MCBR into the dive loop) it just feels like it's being forcefully pushed into really uncomfortable positions, it's hard to explain. It's a different "rough" than you have on Colossus imo.

However in it's first year I never had that problem :wacko:

Anyway, sorry for going off topic. I'm really hoping the Smiler doesn't have this issue at all as it ages, it most likely wont.

You say that, but I've also heard terrible reports about Mystery Mine and Speed. It seems to be the Eurofighter curse.

It's easier to say these things after riding them. Speed for example is a sublime ride, crazilty forceful and silky smooth. Rage had a bit more of an edge to it but nowhere near as unridable as Saw can be.

Due to the ranging opinions on Saw, it must be down to how tall you are. When I call Saw rough I mean it bashes the hell out of my head by forcing it in all directions and hitting the restraint. Also I find it really hurts my neck at some points (e.g the transition from the drop after the MCBR into the dive loop) it just feels like it's being forcefully pushed into really uncomfortable positions, it's hard to explain. It's a different "rough" than you have on Colossus imo.

However in it's first year I never had that problem :wacko:

Exactly, bashing your head about in all directions and hitting the restraint. Rough in that respect, yes, but for track smoothness and going through the inversions it's not rough.

You say that, but I've also heard terrible reports about Mystery Mine and Speed. It seems to be the Eurofighter curse.

Nah, Mystery Mine is pretty fab (although some of the cornerning was done via a set-square), and as for Fluch...

One poor example of a ride type does not mean they are ALL awful... Unfortunately, the worst version is the most ridden one here...

Exactly, bashing your head about in all directions and hitting the restraint. Rough in that respect, yes, but for track smoothness and going through the inversions it's not rough.

But it's the rubbishy track transition that does that to your head. Unlike larger, more drawn-out rollercoasters, Saw is so noticeably compact that the transitions are very abrupt, creating sudden forces on your body, and thanks to the horrible restraints you have no power to stop your neck getting bashed. It really takes away from the ride experience in my opinion. Especially when you reach the MCBR and think you have time to breathe, only to see the world's tiniest dive loop in front of you; that sense of horrific inevitability always amuses me somehow... The dive loop of doom.

Gerstlauer have obviously been chosen to manufacture the Smiler because of their famously compact track style, allowing them to fit that many inversions in one space. As long as Gerstlauer have totally revised their trains, including much less restrictive restraints, it will be an amazing ride. The track looks much more fluent than the likes of Saw, yet there are several hilariously tight inversions squeezed in there. Crazy people...!

To be honest, I quite tall so if OTSR's are Implemented on the ride it doesn't bother me cos its only gonna my neck that take the force of what ever any ride throws at me ( except Colossus which I find is intensely painful everywhere). I feel the mad corkscrews and knot thing will add to the ride and like electricbill said as long as the restraints aren't as constricting as Saw's I will be a happy bunny.

Especially when you reach the MCBR and think you have time to breathe, only to see the world's tiniest dive loop in front of you; that sense of horrific inevitability always amuses me somehow... The dive loop of doom.

That really is a moment of true fear for me - nothing to do with the theme or ride itself xD

NEW PHOTOS NOW THE FIRST PART OF THE SEA SERPENT IS COMPLETE !!

2cppcf4.jpg

qqre9w.jpg

Plus where the brakes run is before the second lift hill, a rail has been put beside it and the brake run goes right up to where the concrete walls are, so I think within the next week, we could see lift construction one or both within this week!

482144_459960194074430_537460066_n.jpg

ANOTHER PIECE WITHIN THE LAST HALF HOUR!!! DAT FIRST PART OF THE SEA SERPENT :wub:
735096_459634374107012_797100339_n.jpg
From Towers street facebook page: "

With only supports being put in place on The Smiler site today, the first pieces of lift hill have arrived at the car parks."

BFuinWnCUAE2tfn.jpg

Another view of the sea serpent and the rest of the site.

Edited by Sidders
Shall we not quadruple post?

Just because Saw is rough, doesn't mean every single Gerstlauer built is rough, from what I've seen/heard, its actually fault on Thorpe's side (groundwork wise), not Gerstlauer's trains/track & other components, but yes I would like to see over-head lapbars rather than standard over head restraints, but who knows.

This isn't true actually. Saw is variable, sometimes you get really good rides, the next day you won't. If the ground work was so bad it would be every car giving you the awful rides but it isn't.

This was posted by Roodlesnouter on the Towers times forum:

Been on park for a few hours after work today, work is really moving at pace now. Much has been done since the weekend and I saw a support and 2 pieces of track go up in an hour.

Before I post the pics (Sorry only mobile,I for got to put my battery in the DSLR icon_ashamed.gif) I have a few bits of info. I can't say where I got it, some of it may be known already and I cannot confirm it 100% true, although I do trust the source. believe it if you wish.

1. We have 2 time lapse videos, 1 on top of Fried Chicken 1 on top of Oblivions Q tower, these can be seen.
2. Track is due to be complete a week on Sunday, 31st March.
3. They are now working nights, minimum noise to be made but electrics, ground work etc is happening deep into the night.
4. The pics of Smiler uniform shown earlier will be the ride staffs uniform. I have pics.
5. The cars will be amazing, couldn't push them any more on this, I tried. It is NOT a euro fighter.
6. The lift hills are ready assembled and ready to go, they are currently in a field approx 8 miles away.
7. The Queue line will be intence and we will have a pre show.
8. As well as the chopped toilet roof mistake, an actual footer was placed wrong. Photo below.
9. Staff rides due to start early May with softs not long after.
10. A full press release is imminent.
11. It was indeed a late edition, SW7 was planned for air car park but B&M not ready.
12 3 reasons for delay
a. weather, and they had to keep pumping out the pit due to burst pipe.
b. Limestone was found at the top end of site and wasnt expected. Took longer to dig out.
c. They hit Blivvys foundations when digging out the pit.

Again A lot of the above may or may not be true and I have read between the lines on a lot of it, So please take it with a pinch of salt if you wish not to believe it.

So Blivvy was a problem for the construction then.