The Swarm

JoshC.

On 8/6/2022 at 7:34 PM, Mattgwise said:

Disgusting and the park should be ashamed letting a ride get in this condition! But hey they can hold things in place with chewing gum so it's all good I guess! Saves on the glue! 

IMG20220804143926.jpg

IMG_20220806_193111.jpg

IMG20220804143713.jpg

IMG20220804142222.jpg

IMG_20220806_193246.jpg

It really is grim and needs some TLC.  The graffiti aswell is disgusting - I saw one a couple a months ago with a phone number and to call for sex?!  It was there on my following visit a few weeks later.  I haven’t been to Thorpe since May and I’ve developed a strong disliking of the place - the word skanky seems too nice to describe it 

• 3 weeks later...

I have a new found appreciation for this ride since our hot weekend visit. The intensity almost made me grey out which I've never experienced on a ride before. I was drinking plenty of water but I guess the heat still affected me. That and we had to wait for a "Colossus Clone" cleanup in the direct sun before riding. It's just a shame the area is so grimy & disgusting.

1 hour ago, Stuntman707 said:

I have a new found appreciation for this ride since our hot weekend visit. The intensity almost made me grey out which I've never experienced on a ride before. I was drinking plenty of water but I guess the heat still affected me. That and we had to wait for a "Colossus Clone" cleanup in the direct sun before riding. It's just a shame the area is so grimy & disgusting.

Are you talking about the low turn by the helicopter? I quite consistently greyed out there last year.

Is the ride getting more intense with age, I wonder?

• 1 year later...

Just to say - the park looks absolutely brilliant at night, the lighting etc is fab BUT the Swarm seems to be the odd one out. So much bright white flood lighting. And same for the station, no ambience at all. Is this because the ride was designed with permanent lighting from the start, unlike the others so it’s just sort of stuck how it is? 

• 5 months later...
6 hours ago, Mattgwise said:

The most welcome change however is that the Swarm vests no longer lock at dispatch, making for a far more comfortable ride. This brings it in line with more modern B&M Wing Riders.

That is great to hear! The Swarm isn't normally a ride I re-ride a lot due to this reason, so I'm looking forward to getting back on that! 

43 minutes ago, tactic said:

Haven’t ridden any other B&M Wing coasters so don’t know what you mean when you say the vests don’t lock on dispatch. Could someone explain what that means and how it makes it more comfortable?

The Swarms vest restraints have locked into place when the ride dispatches, and throughout the ride gets tighter and tighter. By the time I'm on the breakrun, its so tight on the chest its incredibly uncomfortable and I can't wait to get off. Have found this got worse in recent years too.

Now, only the restraint will lock into place and the vests will allow you to move more, a bit like a car seat-belt.