Fright Nights 2013

Confuzzled

From what I've heard, MBV is quite tame. Do you not get split up? I mean for me, anything in the slightest bit scary would be terrifying if I were on my own...

There are a few jump scares, people blocking your pathway and a couple of actors who shove you into the tunnel which you have to crawl through. Don't worry, the maze isn't that scary and it's pretty short and it's really easy to find your way out.

Yeah, MBV was the tamest. The worst thing that happens is you get stopped, and I was scared of being split up, but the woman near the entrance (not an actor) just said if you and your friend hold onto eachover, the actors shouldn't do anything, and they didn't, so we were together. We did however, get stopped by Harry Warden (yeah we saw him clearly and stuff) behind the group who we were with earlier (just the 2 of us), but all he did was bang his pickaxe very loudly against the wall, and then let us go. He didn't even jump out, as we were a bit behind our group who were infront, and I think he heard us coming, so after he jumped out at the group infront, he just sort of stood there and blocked our path. Wasn't scary at all tbh, me and my friend were just laughing at him. The noises were quite loud though, but not sudden, as he did it right in front of us. Was quite entertaining. We also got stopped a bit earlier by some crazed miner dude, who was an awesome actor.. but none of it was very scary. Bit of a joke labelling it as the only 5 star maze on scare factor on the map, CITW was scarier!

Bit of a pointless question as I probably know the answer but when getting split up my friend who

I'm taking can't really get into tunnels due to it maybe causing a problem to her already dodgy back... Could you tell the actor when being split that she can't go through the tunnel and possibly have the other option lol I know you'll probably say just don't go on it but other than the tunnel she can do the rest!

Review for Sunday 13th! Will contain spoilers

Firstly a cold, wet day put everyone off going, so it was as dead as a dodo all day! At around 2.45 we saw about 100 cars in the car par from The Swarm!!

Theming all day was poor, however there was stuff inside the dome which was a nice touch. Apparently the Director does some acting in there at points throughout the day but no times were listed as to when he would be there so unless you sit in there all day I guess its just luck if you see it!!

Saw Alive:

Did this first, as each year I personally think its quite poor.

It wasnt brilliant. Loads of actors inside but they didnt do much acting. One girl in particular was dressed as if she had just walked in off the streets and looked bored. To be honest my pet rock would have had more fun acting in there than she did!!

Lighting in the maze was very low, which would have been a good thing, but link that with the amount of smoke in the maze meant you could see nothing. Theming in the maze is pretty good, but if you cant even see that it makes the maze super dull.

I'm guessing most people on Sunday felt the same as at around 8 the queue was non existant.

The Asylum:

Always a good one, however the conga lines let it down as I had 2 totally different experiences.

First time:

Good, lengthy maze packed with actors. Easy to get lost in there and the actors play their roles very well.

The new ending was amazing, the shower curtains really had us scared as we didnt know who would be behind them! However, we were at the front of the line and so this made it better. Those behind us didnt have a scare because they obviously saw the actor jump out from that place already.

The chain saw guy was there, but due to the amount of people in the line we didnt get chased out by him as by the time we had left the maze half our line was still leaving. It was a shame, but the shower curtains made up for it because we got good scares from them!

Avantage of being at the front is that when we caught up with the group infront we waited for them to move instead of joining their line.

Second time:

This time we were at the back, with a much shorter line. The shower curtains didnt have an effect on us sadly as we could see the actors jump out on the people infront, but the chain saw guy was able to pick on us and chase us out good and proper!

Considering how quiet the park was they should ave kept numbers in the conga line at a minimum!! Or at least had a bigger gaps between sending the next line in.

Hats off to the team running the maze though. At one point they had to shut it and turn all the lights on because someone had lost something. We were in the queue and one chap told us what was going on and when they had found it/given up looking he came around again to say it would take a further 5 mins to put people back in their places and turn all the lights off etc. Later found out the lost item was a hearing aid so hope they did find it!!

Bloody Valentine:

Actors in the queue line were fantastic. The rain certainly didnt put them off.

Again though had 2 totally different experiences on this.

First time around there were possibly only 3 actors in the entire maze. Therefore dissappointing for scares, but meant we could look at the scenery and in places it was very good. This time we went down the tunnel and got the only scare of the maze as an actor started walking up the tunnel towards us!! He did obvioulsy then back out so we could leave but he chased us out the room we ended up in. The ending of the maze though wasnt there. I can just remember walking out and thinking "that was it?!"

The second time, the maze was packed with actors - scares all over the place. We didnt get to go down the tunnel, we went down the corridor. Shame. You could see all of the empty "rooms" you got shut in during E10 and just made me miss them. We were going to go in one just for laughs, but I'm guessing we were not allowed to because as I suggested it the man who had made us go down that route screamed and chased us out the corridor.

Sadly, although the maze was packed of actors this time around, the ending still didnt happen. Not even sure there is meant to be an ending?!

Again, hats off to the guys running this maze, whilst queing everyone had to be evacuated due to fire alarm going off. Ok, so there was a very small queue but it was handled very well.

Cabin in the Woods:

Went on this 5 times trying to get in the control room before being told it wasnt working and so they had locked the door!

That aside, the maze was brilliant. Loads of actors, the door idea was genius, although I'm not sure it was working properly - are they meant to lock behind you? If so, this was not working and meant people could walk in behind you/you could walk into a room full of people. If this is not mean to be the case, I do feel it would work better if there was a locking system on the doors.

All times through the maze the actors were fantastic. Very interactive with you and would work on what you said to them. For example, when asking an actor if we could get into the control room (the 5th time we felt we should just ask!) my friend said he would give her his soul in exchange. She stopped, stared at him and sniffed all around his neck before laughing and saying he wasnt worth it!

ONe clown wanted a hug. She held her arms out and said hug me! We said that were were not allowed to touch her. She said "but I want a hug!" and got in a strop so we hugged her and she popped all of her balloons behind our back making us nearly poo our pants!!

The guys in this maze really need to teach those in Saw alive how to act.

Blair witch:

People are slating this and I'm not sure why. Its a scare zone, not a maze. Its rated 2 stars on the map - its not meant to be super terrifying.

It worked well for what it was meant to be. They didnt open it until 7 which annoyed people on he day but it did mean it was dark. The actors worked with this as they were wearing black and so could not be seen if they stood in the shadows. It also meant they could creep up on you and the first time you know they are there is when they shine a torch on their face right in front of yours. Maybe I had a good experience because the park was dead? Who knows. Only problem was the ending - no actor in the shed. So it meant we ended it feeling we had missed out on soemthing scary.

I think blair witch over night camping would be very scary. Interesting to hear what people think of this (if anyone is doing it!)

Roaming actors:

All good. Couldnt fault them, espicially because it was chucking it dwon with rain and they obviously cant wear waterproofs!!!

All in all good day out!

Looking forward to going again on Friday and seeing how the two days compare!

I'd speak to the host at the entrance of the maze to be sure, but they do normally advise people with back issues not to go into these attractions

there must be a guy in a wheelchair did it on crutches, so there must be another route to skip out the section.

The director was great fun when we saw him walking around the park although not being very scary, camp and american but it was great being casted.

I done brave it alone on my Bloody Valentine on Sunday the 13th. It was a great experience and would highly recommend it. It is a 18+ event and does have some nudity, and they are very hands on with you. I can't say exactly what happens as they said we can't, but it is worth the £15.

I've done Brave it Alone :)

They made us swear that we wouldn't reveal anything about the experience on social media & forums so I don't think we should say much tbh... All I can say is that, as a fan of Thorpe Park, you can not miss it. It's much more full-on than I thought it was going to be!

PLEASE book yourself on one of these!

Boobs?

Anythings worth £15 for boobs.

Not when it's available for free :P

And not allowed to mention the experience? That's not exactly a great form of advertising is it? Bit daft from Thorpe not to really use the word of mouth detail beyond people saying "it's good", considering how some are stating BWP is 'good'...

It's an interesting tactic; it keeps the secrecy over it, making each individual experience better. But, at the same time, many might not be willing to spend £15 after hearing 'Yeah, it's good, but I can't say why'.

Then again, FiA is meant for a small market, so it's probably best this way. For example, FiA appeals to me, but I was unsure about doing it, but hearing positive words about it has sold it to me. For others, that won't be enough.