Sonic Spinball Relocation to Thorpe Park

James_C

with an actual gothic building as the main focus, yet since 2004 we have a loud and brightly coloured distraction that really ruins the setting...

This post from yourself says you can see a brightly coloured distraction ruining the view of the gothic mansion?

When I'm stood at the entrance I hear no noise other than the entrance music and all I see is towers street centering the towers.

God I love Alton Towers for that picture you linked to Ricky. :wub:

As for the topic itself. My opinion on Spinball has always been dead low because it doesn't belong in a theme park that attracts the people that Thorpe, Alton, Lego and Chessie do (Die Fury, Die). I'd say it is a funfair ride at best and that's where it belongs. Both Alton and Thorpe could do far better then that awful little ride and its in the family coaster bracket.

It's called Juvelen.

I don't think it fits well with any of the Merlin properties. In my opinion it has always been more suited to parks like Lightwater Valley, Flamingoland etc.

The closest Merlin park I could see it working at is Legoland and that is unlikely as they only removed their last coaster a few years back due to noise and I don't know if the ride is too intense for a park like Lego. (I have never ridden Spinball so can hardly judge)

Shame you can't hear a picture though...

We should all get Samsung Galaxy S4s, then we can! ;)

On the topic of Spinball, here's the topic about Alton's LTDP / MTDP: http://forum.maniahub.com/topic/5641-altons-mtdp/

Specifically, it says:

On the subject of Spinball, I talked to a member of management there and he said they are thinking of either relocating it in park or selling it. However, he said it was unlikely it would move to another Merlin park. He didn't seem very happy with the ride when talking about it, almost like it was a burden.

Of course, this was 4 years ago, and plans change. However, I just can't see Spinball making it's way to Thorpe. Where would it go? After having a quick scan over with Google Maps, it seems to occupy a space of 175ft x 125ft (really rough approximations there, but that seems to be the sorta space required for it to fit comfortably), which I just can't see fitting into the park nicely anywhere.

I'd also hate to see it 'do a Storm Surge', and look like it's been randomly plonked somewhere and stick out like a sore thumb (a bit like how most see it at Alton...)

TowersTimes are just one bag of cheap baloney anyway.

But if Spinball WAS relocated to Thorpe, it's obvious it's going to be on the site next to THE SWARM, so Spinball will have to be rethemed to fit in with the apocalyptic devastation. Besides, I'd rather travel for an hour to Chessie to ride Dragon's Fury and travel for 4 hours to ride Spinball at AT. It's far wiser for Spinball to just stay where it is really...

Are you actually complaining about noise at a theme park?

It's not supposed to be a quiet day out! You can hear Nemesis across the park too!

What's your name, Mr Roper?

Lol, massive difference between that roar and the constant awful noises of Spinball's brakes... Especially in the queueline that goes right past them... Spinball is very evidental of the old DIC Tussauds, where things were plonked with no actual thought, hence why I find it a burdenous ride in all senses... Poorly located and as Mark said, a ride with such a low throughput it doesn't fit in well at such a heavily visited theme park (as I'm sure people who have visited Walt Disney Studios can attest to)... It is loud, it is at odds with the surrounding area, it doesn't fit and hasn't done for the 9 years of it's existance... A view that has been quite common amongst many...

Seems that my ideals behind how a park should present itself are fairly different to yours...

Want me to take a picture with audio or a moving Gif next time I'm up there? :rolleyes:

No need, I'm going today... Although pictures WITH audio eh? AND gifs? The future really is now isn't it? Unless you mean you'll take a Vine? In which case I'm sure 7 seconds if enough to demonstrate anyone's point on this random discussion about if Spinball is loud enough to be a burden around the entrance...

If they do remove it, Mack Youngstar pls...

To be fair, if Spinball IS relocated or rethemed, it will be disappointing to see the iconic Sonic the Hedgehog themeing being scrapped, including the announcements!:

"WOAH! All right! LET'S GET SPINNING! WOO HOO!" (ring sound)

Also, if Spinball was relocated to Thorpe, that'll basicaly mean Adventure Land will be no more! :(

I actually love Sonic Spinball in terms of the ride itself... but it does have a terrible throughput (and therefore long queues, and I can't remember for years when I have actually went into the main queue - and instead done single rider just to get on it), throughput becomes even worse (but great for single riders with only 3 riders per car) when it rains, and admittedly doesn't exactly have the best location. The main point, I didn't even realise how old the ride was, I was thinking it was pointless them removing or moving it, but the fact it is almost 10 years old did change my mind, and the fact it was a cheap ride in the first place, probably not designed to last years on end like nemesis!

Thorpe Park do not need Sonic Spinball, the throughput would make the queue in the busy park be unbearable, and it does fit in as a solid family ride, and really fun attraction in alton towers!

I wouldnt be that against it, Thorpe could do with a decent family coaster, and spinball is far from a bad ride as in ride wise. Whilst throughputs maybe an issue, if its not right at the front of the park maybe it wouldnt be so bad?

Every park that has a Maurer spinner always sees that ride with the longest queue. The appeal of the attraction is so broad and because everyone can ride it, it suffers.

To be fair, if Spinball IS relocated or rethemed, it will be disappointing to see the iconic Sonic the Hedgehog themeing being scrapped, including the announcements!:

"WOAH! All right! LET'S GET SPINNING! WOO HOO!" (ring sound)

Also, if Spinball was relocated to Thorpe, that'll basicaly mean Adventure Land will be no more! :(

The Sonic theming is pretty much non existant tbh, plus Adventure Lands just a load of nothingness anyway, no character or charm to the area whatsoever. Personally I'd like to see Storybook Land expanded into the Adventure Land area, and Spinball to be rethemed accordingly.

The Sonic theming is pretty much non existant tbh, plus Adventure Lands just a load of nothingness anyway, no character or charm to the area whatsoever. Personally I'd like to see Storybook Land expanded into the Adventure Land area, and Spinball to be rethemed accordingly.

Rethemed to The Big Bad Wolf with a darker red track and light Brown Supports the cars could be a nice dark brown