Derren Brown's Ghost Train: Rise of the Demon

Marc

Derren Brown is on park today according to his Twitter/Facebook :) Unsurprising considering it's been said before that he had booked this week off for the opening date which has now been delayed. It can't be far from complete as I assume he is on park to try it out in its current state. Either way just thought I'd let people know!

He hadn't booked this week off, it just worked out with his tour schedule. When Thorpe realised it wasn't going to be opening at the beginning of the season, they probably talked to him and looked at dates. This week in May is his last week of being available before middle of June. And he isn't just down the road on his tour the next few weeks, he's in Bristol, Ireland and Leeds. So not so easy to just pop back either. 

Could be signing it off to the park, as I assume he will have a big say in "yes it is good" or "no it needs more work." 

Odd though, I don't think he has once mentioned about the delay on any of his social media. Just thought he might have put it out there too.

Photo Stop

As said above, the photos will be done in a scan here fashion, and we can expect to get two photos from this as they not only were showing a photo in a train carriage (see previous posts) but we also saw a separate frame for the head in the jar photos. Maybe a hologram photo changing effect, where from one angle it shows your head photo and another the second?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The Exterior

Lots of activity around the exterior of the site, with the addition of what I assume will be the disable queue, testing of audio and promotional photos using the dolls head being shot.

Ride information board.

image.jpeg

The cart.

image.jpeg

Flower bed.

image.jpeg

Covered queue line.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

How many minutes do you see this showing in a few weeks?

image.jpeg

What I believe to be a fire exit, riders will walk past this closed door upon exiting the attraction.

image.jpeg

Believe to be the disabled queue.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

General Exterior Shots

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Hope you enjoyed my update, I'll be back on tuesday to derail your mind with more updates!

The line itself is ready to go, it will just be a case of putting some signage up.

I also forgot to mention they were shooting promo with the doll in front of the entrance at 12:50 yesterday - staff certainly thought it was freaky!

the resort have released a video of some people trailing the VR, their reactions are intresting!

As Derren Brown gears up to launch THORPE PARK Resort’s terrifying new Ghost Train, the first images of the attractions seven tonne Victorian carriage have been revealed as Derren starts his final checks of the attraction  – marking a new dawn in theme park experiences.

Batches of Brits have been testing the new VR footage offsite at a secret location - their shrieks, screams and ‘bleeps’ in the newly released footage on Thorpe Park’s Facebook page give you an idea of what to expect when you step on board the Ghost Train - https://www.facebook.com/thorpepark/videos/10154012929790867/

The deeply psychological attraction featuring classic illusion, live action, physical transit, VR and special effects is home to the Park’s longest restrictions board to date.

Those who dare to ride the rails will get to journey through all corners of the illusionist’s famously dark and twisted mind, during a 10-15 minute apocalyptic experience.

The entirely new 21st Century Ghost Train promises an exhilarating and heart-pounding ride with twelve journey’s and two separate endings, with a chilling experience. It is designed to test guests’ minds to their limits with an ongoing theme of distorted reality.

THORPE PARK Resort’s biggest investment to date - Derren Brown’s Ghost Train resides in a 2,306 metre square warehouse that has been painstakingly replicated based on a Victorian building in Willesden by the railway. Even the finest of details have been considered with the build of this new attraction, down to the bonding of the brickwork.

The ghost itself, is the Ghost Train, it acts as a portal which takes you into a new dimension – a dimension created by the wizards of Merlin Magic Making who oversee the design and build of extraordinary experiences to over 100 attractions worldwide, alongside illusionist and mind manipulator, Derren Brown. Each individual element of the new attraction has been built bespoke from scratch.

As the world’s first multi-sensory theme park experience - using the very latest VR technology with live action actors, guests will never have experienced anything like this before. The VR is courtesy of HTC Vive, a new type of headset that offers real-time movement and high definition, released to the Park early for integration whilst still in development.

The technology has been merged with special effects including vibrating floor plates and self-steaming windows amongst other surprises along the way. 

The build has taken 375 days and counting on site and has been over three years in the making.

Recently, the Park released one of the stars of the VR storyline, a demon. A team of prosthetic artists built the creature and brought it to the Park to prank staff, with terrifying results. From a demon, to a tramp, there is a wide spectrum of characters waiting to greet guests that pass through the suspended train’s doors.

Derren Brown comments:

“I am very excited to be launching my Ghost Train at Thorpe Park and can’t wait to get it started with all elements fused together.  Initial reactions in stage 1 of VR testing gave delighted and scared test subjects in equal measure and that wasn’t even on board the ride itself.

“From training the actors to working closely with the Merlin Magic Making team and the technology outfitters this has been an incredibly hands on project for me, and an experience that is entirely different from writing TV shows and stage performances as the experience needs to work without me.

“Yes, there is a hidden message, an underlying story that has been pinned into the narrative – this is a ride with a mind of its own, that has been produced to mess with your mind, so why not provoke thought also.”

The attraction, rated PG13, is enclosed in a 2,306 square metre Victorian warehouse facility and features a seven tonne, 20 metre long suspended Victorian train carriage, which will transport passengers to another dimension.

Mike Vallis, Divisional Director of THORPE PARK Resort commented: “We’re thrilled to announce the launch of Derren Brown’s Ghost Train. This is a true world-first attraction and we believe this development is a daring and exciting step into a new realm for theme park attractions around the world.

“The test footage recorded offsite at a secret location in Guildford, was not fully integrated with the whole experience, special effects or movement – yet, the reactions of our test subjects were still incredible.

The attraction is a full assault on guests’ senses and will play with their minds, in an original and fully-immersive experience. We ask that guests keep their experience secret, so that other visitors are also allowed to take their journey unaware of the shocks that lie behind the doors once they board the Ghost Train.”

Derren Brown’s Ghost Train is suitable for ages 13 and over. The height restriction is 1.4m. For more information please visit https://www.thorpepark.com/rides/derren-browns-ghost-train/ 

Different dimension timey wimey stuff confirmed? 

• JoshC. unpinned this topic
  • JoshC. pinned this topic