Derren Brown's Ghost Train: Rise of the Demon

Marc

1 minute ago, Coaster Jamie said:

The first suggestion was that they could release a very late opening date, giving them a longer window between the ride's predicted "ready" date and the opening date. Doing this, they could soft-open IF it was ready before the advertised date.

I believe that was the plan, obviously something's gone wrong in the past couple of days which has meant this wasn't possible.

at the end of the day , it will be ready when its ready. just means more time for speculation for us and that opening day is going to be even more spectacular and the excitement will hit the roof with the park being filled with infectious energy ! and hopefully no breakdowns ! haha

Just now, Ryan said:

I believe that was the plan, obviously something's gone wrong in the past couple of days which has meant this wasn't possible.

Maybe that is the case, but when I visited a few weeks back it was nowhere near ready (e.g. The ride vehicle was outside the building).

Maybe they should have simply advertised "Opening in May" until they could come up with a certain date (basically what they're doing now)?

Just now, Coaster Jamie said:

Maybe that is the case, but when I visited a few weeks back it was nowhere near ready (e.g. The ride vehicle was outside the building).

Maybe they should have simply advertised "Opening in May" until they could come up with a certain date (basically what they're doing now)?

You can't see in the building, you have no idea how near ready it is. How do you know there wasn't more vehicles inside the building that were being tested? You are just making wild assumptions.

Just now, Ryan said:

You can't see in the building, you have no idea how near ready it is. How do you know there wasn't more vehicles inside the building that were being tested? You are just making wild assumptions.

I don't, but the fact is that there was a ride vehicle sat outside the building, which could suggest that it hadn't been tested.

That doesn't confirm that it wasn't ready, or that there aren't other vehicles, but it's the only thing visible from outside the building so I can only use guesswork based on that.

In many respects I'm not especially surprised that this has all come about, like others had said over the entire course of this as we've heard whispers that more and more aspects and companies seemed to be involved in this project I've been wondering how it would all fit together and how easily/smoothly everything would do so.

I had no intentions of going to the park especially for this or its opening but I can see why people would be somewhat irked at this and to mimic what's been said before I really feel for those who have made travel and accomodation arrangements far in advance in anticipation of this.

It's a huge shame but not such a huge shock as it were. I just hope it all works out in the end as Thorpe really seem to be trying to make up for it somewhat- although to me it seems to potentially be to stub another 12p ticket-type outrage before it begins- either way, they're trying to do something at least 

Not really that bothered that it's been delayed tbh (of course I'm a little annoyed but these things happen) because I can easily make another trip to Thorpe when the ride is open. I feel sorry for those who have booked hotel rooms for that day though :/

I do hope however that it's open before June, and judging from the website saying just "Opening May", it's a good sign it will. 

44 minutes ago, MilesK said:

Not really that bothered that it's been delayed tbh (of course I'm a little annoyed but these things happen) because I can easily make another trip to Thorpe when the ride is open. I feel sorry for those who have booked hotel rooms for that day though :/

I do hope however that it's open before June, and judging from the website saying just "Opening May", it's a good sign it will. 

I just don't care how delayed this ride is.

My hype levels are currently non-existent.

It kind of irks me that people are using 'a ride vehicle is outside the building' as a reason it's been 'delayed for ages'.

Pretty sure we don't know that's a ride vehicle. All we saw was what appeared to be half a tube train poking out of the building. Who knows, it could be a massive theming element for inside and outside that moves in and out as if to scare you that you're going to be run over. It's so huge I definitely cant imagine several of them moving about inside there. Also it has been fenced up now for at least two weeks so we can't see it, so now no one knows how it's moving or not.

Maybe it is a ride vehicle, maybe that's the space where the spare will be parked as we see no other evidence of any form of maintenance shed.

Basically, summed up, we don't know anything. Though if it's there and has just been fenced off so we can't see, my guess is it's meant to be there.

I for one am putting my trust in Thorpe, we can't try and guess anything by looking at the outside of the building. After all, all we can really see is a queueline, and they're well known for being the last priority ride builders have during construction.

^ Unfortunately for some people theme parks are literally their entire life

Whilst we are all on here to share our enjoyment (although looking around, how true is this anymore...) of theme parks, attractions, and more, for some people there is not a want to get on a ride but a need

Spending every last penny on trips, merchandise, and more --> This news will actually have devastated them like a part of their soul has died

Just the way some posts come across anyway ;)

There's a certain 'je ne sais quoi' about theme park rides opening

Actually no it's just 'new ride hype' --> Every opening day of any ride everyone is all hype about how great it is, two years down the line people come out with 'Oh yeah it's not that great'.  See: Saw, Smiler, everything else ever

3 minutes ago, ThemeParkCrafte said:

I also have followed the chat/ construction since day one. In fact I was one of the first people to comment on forums about Derren brown being involved (3am on another forum). I think we just have to accept the decision. Would you rather do an alright half finished ride now or an amazing finished one in a few weeks?

^ You posted earlier than @Ryan did on TPM over half a year ago?

It's a poor show, after apparently planning this thing for 3 years if I recall?

Perhaps Merlin need to revisit their cycles of investment at the rate of delays/close calls to their additions... A case of too many eggs in one basket perhaps? This has got a lot of new tech inside it, so perhaps they sold themselves short on the 'perfection' stage...

Though of course this idea of "we are perfecting the ride" is marketing speak for "things went wrong and it'll be late"... Shame I've missed the OUTRAGE due to work really...

Interesting debate about opening days.  Personally, I'm not fussed about being the first on the Ghost Train, but I'm looking at this delayed opening from the perspective of a lot of people who have booked accommodation, tickets to the park and planned a visit.  It's just not acceptable.

There's also not much point in going on the specific opening day at Thorpe as there isn't usually anything special like an opening ceremony.

I was planning to go on opening day, but again it's not the end of the world for me personally - will probably get on it at some point this year.

• JoshC. unpinned this topic
  • JoshC. pinned this topic