Tidal Wave

Harry

Detonator simply goes up and down...

Trust me there are many people who HATE getting wet, but actually enjoy the ride (as long as they stay dry) 

But Thorpe Park won't do anything like this anyway...its been good for 10 years why would they change it now!?

And in reality it is still a lot of fun going down a large slide in a big capsule...for those who don't want to get very wet.

The thing with Detonator is that it's sold as a ride that goes up and down.  With Detonator, the point of the ride is you go up, then dropped back down.

With Tidal Wave, the ride serves two purposes - to be a visual spectacle (hence why it's so prominent in marketing images and with merchandise), and to get riders very wet.  Take away getting the riders wet, and you lose the point of the ride from a rider's perspective.  Sure, they may be some people who want to try it, but for a "normal" guest, if they've got a choice between going on a water ride that won't get them wet, or another ride which completes it's purpose properly, they'll almost always choose another ride.  

Trust me there are many people who HATE getting wet, but actually enjoy the ride (as long as they stay dry) 

How can you know this though?  Every ride on Tidal Wave will get you wet, so how can anyone know if they will enjoy the ride without the 'getting wet' element to it?

Given covers to the ride is an interesting idea, but I just could never see it working out in practice.

You know what Toby...whilst everyone else has slated your thoughts about a covered boat...that really would work...as you say the British Weather is very unpredictable, and many a time in the winter there is literally NO QUEUE for it and I am sure people would live to ride (what is in effect then a large water slide without the fear of getting wet). 

There are many many many many people who refuse to go on the ride simply because they will get too wet, leaving a normal group dissapointed as one or two wish to go on whilst the rest do not. I actually really like this idea...going against the general consensus but hay, most on here are not what the 'average' guest actually want...whilst although they would be defunct in Summer (which is literally 10% worth of the Theme Park Season) they would be excellent for times like Fright Night and early March. 

I agree there could be a split in the queue...I would probably suggest only one boat that is covered and the other two or one open. It would be a good trial at little expense...Thorpe could even have a Fastrack option 'wet' or 'dry' Tidal Wave. 

Just think how many more people would go on if they knew they could stay dry...I know you guys are saying..."Don't go on a wet ride, blah blah blah"...A LOT of people like water rides...but hate getting wet...(I know its hard for some of you to understand) but its true!!! It gives the opportunity for the little child who wants to go on the BIG WATER RIDE with parents who really do not want to get wet...its an excellent compromise!  

Highly emotive language. First of all, Toby wasn't slated for his comment. One reply was a no and one saying don't go on a water ride if you don't want to get wet.

Secondly, where is this belief that enthusiasts aren't average people? I've seen enthusiasts ride Tidal Wave in the snow (oh March 2013, I shall remember you so well) and I've seen enthusiasts refuse to ride Tidal Wave in blistering heat. There is no such thing as an average enthusiast in the same way that there is no average person.

Thirdly, Tidal Wave isn't open in the winter. Your guess of 10% of the year is sunny goes against the grain of the past few seasons where from May-August has seen extraordinarily hot weather and a very busy Tidal Wave. During this time people go on Tidal Wave to get wet. They aren't riding because of the 80 foot drop or the lengthy lift hill, thats for sure. I'm not sure reducing throughput by a third for a covered boat during summer months is a good idea when Tidal wave gets 80 minute plus queues to be honest.

I will point out, the mind set of an Enthusiast is a totally different mindset to that of an average guest. 

I have gone to these parks with a large variety of guests (many not my friends, I have just tagged a lift most of the time) - It is a usual issue of conflicting opinions...from where they want to eat and what they want to do. An average guest will not only see the park in a different light to an enthusiast but will also do things differently to an enthusiast. 

I have already stated that it WONT ever happen, however its not justified for almost every idea to be shot down instantly (by many in my opinion - many a time have ideas from anyone other than the 'big wigs' ever got apporval). I appreciate its a forum and everyone is allowed to have their opinions, and whilst I don't argue with your comments I have to disagree, especially with the 'counter punches'. 

Your comment justifies the Boat...most average guests would never ever dream of going on such a ride with snow, or anything remotely cold.

The 10% was an exaggeration from the moment I wrote that, and in fact was referring to the weather in terms of rain and the 'British Summer' HA. HA. HA. :P

So on that Bombshell as Jeremy Clarkson was say...I think Tidal Wave is a great ride, however I never get to go on it because my group never wants to go on it for all sorts of reasons...however when I do I enjoy it. 

I wish the fireball could be put back in place, especially considering The Swarm works. 

Finally does Tidal Wave ever use the old queue line, closest to the Dodgems (and the little shack/house) or is this totally used as a Fastrack queue now?

So if we can now move away from this agree to disagree argument lets get back to the realities of Tidal Wave. :)

Your comment justifies the Boat...most average guests would never ever dream of going on such a ride with snow, or anything remotely cold.

What is the 'average guest' though? I would utterly refuse to ride tidal wave in the snow let alone in the cold but I define myself as an enthusiast. Does that make me an 'average guest' then? I'm not taking sides or anything I just don't understand this. An enthusiast is surely an 'average guest' just like everyone visiting the park is, I'm sure there are people who aren't enthusiasts who will ride tidal wave in the cold. I think classing people like that is stupid as everyone will have their own opinion if they want to ride or not.

I wish the fireball could be put back in place, especially considering The Swarm works. 

Considering the ride is mainly a visual spectacle, I think this is a very good idea. I'm not sure of the reason It was removed maybe that is why it was never replaced?

What is the 'average guest' though? I would utterly refuse to ride tidal wave in the snow let alone in the cold but I define myself as an enthusiast. Does that make me an 'average guest' then? I'm not taking sides or anything I just don't understand this. An enthusiast is surely an 'average guest' just like everyone visiting the park is, I'm sure there are people who aren't enthusiasts who will ride tidal wave in the cold. I think classing people like that is stupid as everyone will have their own opinion if they want to ride or not.

Considering the ride is mainly a visual spectacle, I think this is a very good idea. I'm not sure of the reason It was removed maybe that is why it was never replaced?

I think the reason it was removed as the gas tanks were in Stealths area, so they needed to remove them for Stealth. Not 100percent sure though, someone correct me if that's wrong :P

You're right Callum; the pipes I believe had to be severed for Stealth's construction. It's certainly been talked about that the fire could return side Swarm has fire effects, but there's probably other issues to our as well (could be wildlife living in there; bats live in the water tower for example!).

• 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Seriously? I know it's getting colder but that's still really, really poor.

I wouldn't expect any park to just close a ride over a month before the park closes, and people still go on Tidal Wave in October.

It's also one of the best lit rides at Fright Nights! Not impressed.

I'm suitably as outraged as you are. Those tens of riders are going to be missing out big time. Shall we boycott the park CoasterJamie or just keep visiting?

I'm suitably as outraged as you are. Those tens of riders are going to be missing out big time. Shall we boycott the park CoasterJamie or just keep visiting?

I've seen mostly full boats going round even in October in previous years. It's just shoddy to have it SBNO, especially when it's at the centre of the park.

As for boycotting the park, that's not really relevant to me as I live fairly close but I wouldn't be willing to travel a long distance/pay for entry with a half-baked ride lineup.

I've seen mostly full boats going round even in October in previous years. It's just shoddy to have it SBNO, especially when it's at the centre of the park.

As for boycotting the park, that's not really relevant to me as I live fairly close but I wouldn't be willing to travel a long distance/pay for entry with a half-baked ride lineup.

Half baked = One water ride closed. The one with the lowest ridership during September/October.

Half baked = One water ride closed. The one with the lowest ridership during September/October.

Oh so Samurai is re-open then is it? Vortex was also closed this weekend, so that's two without even considering breakdowns.

The ridership is irrelevant, people still go on it so it should be open. They have also replied to people's Tweets saying "all rides will be open at Fright Nights" which is a downright lie if this is true.

Lol wut?

Boycotting the park because it's making decisions you don't agree with isn't relevant because you live nearby?

That makes zero sense to me, because surely if you were disagreeing with any park decisions/choices/etc, you wouldn't visit irrespective all how close you live to said park...

Lol wut?

Boycotting the park because it's making decisions you don't agree with isn't relevant because you live nearby?

That makes zero sense to me, because surely if you were disagreeing with any park decisions/choices/etc, you wouldn't visit irrespective all how close you live to said park...

No, I'll still visit because I live nearby and don't have to spend any money on visiting, however I wouldn't be prepared to travel a long distance or pay for entry.

Boycotting the park over a closed ride is a bit extreme IMO, but that doesn't mean that I agree with it.