Alton Towers News

Dan9

The problem with being a public company is the markets expect, scrub that, demand you make an increase year on year profit-wise and if you don't increase your profits, you get punished by the institutions who dump their stock onto the market trashing your market value.

The markets do not tolerate it if you do not increase profits year on year, while the real people running the company will just be glad they've still made a profit, Goldman Sachs won't give **** about that, Merlin didn't increase profits so dump stock. This is Merlin's way to try and keep these vultures happy.

Capitalism, ladies and gentleman.

At an accountants forum in April I attended the main sort of head of accountants guy said that if anything was to happen to a single place in merlin the business would only be bumped thanks to their world wide, audience wide attractions. One of the reasons businesses scale across continents is for security.

All the Merlin flumes are pretty much buggered...

Ā 

Sub Terra is clearly in need of a big fix, as is Charlie (one lift operation is death)...

Ā 

Dunno what state Hex is in, sure no-one really cares about Driving School, and Ripsaw is near the end of its life (as is Blade)...

Ā 

At the end of the day, if you don't maintain your rides, this is what happens... If this ends up being true, what else is next?

Surely The blade should go not ripsaw. Ripsaw is one of my favourite flat rides and the blade seems much less popular than it. As for Hex....nooooooo! It's a popular ride which is thoroughly enjoyed by most.

What surprises me the most is that forbidden valley will be 3 rides down and the park will be 3 dark rides down. I'm hoping for some decent replacements...please.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if it's true. They were planning on binning Ripsaw this year a long time before the crash happened anyway. The Flume and Charlie won't be missed whatsoever, and Sub Terra, well... good riddance.

So the only real casualty is Hex, and what a shame that is. This is the only real shame. Such a good ride (the only good ride on this list) and I'd imagine if there's any ride here that they'd rather have open- it's Hex.

Oh well, I wasn't planning on visiting Alton Towers next year anyway.

Mark raises a good point about staff numbers for the rides; would make sense given what we've all heard.

Ā 

Hex is of course going to be the biggest missed on the list. Ā But even the closures of NST, Ripsaw and Flume are going to be missed by a fair few people.

Ā 

By biggest worry about all this is how it takes a good chunk away of the non-coaster options from older visitors. Ā Of course, rides aren't everything at a theme park, and Towers still have the gardens, but aside from the coasters, there's not exactly much which entices me at the moment.

Ā 

Curious for an official announcement, to see what the park themselves say.

Yay for Merlin in 2016!

I hope they're not closing all those rides.

Closing a massive chunk of attractions (most of which are in the family market) is not a good move IMO.

If they're trying to get visitors back in to the park, this is not the way of doing so as for me I can see the opposite effect occurring.

It makes me more concerned for What Chessie is in for and that more could be happening at Thorpe.