Big Easy Boulevard - New for 2024

JoshC.

12 hours ago, Cal said:

For anyone wondering, as expected Detonators original soundtrack won't be returning, it'll be a new one 😢

Worst decision in the park's history.

The concept art looks fine. Depends on if they actually use some depth in the painting of the buildings or just paint them in one flat colour and call it a day like Towers tend to.

It’s a bit of a weird one for me and I can tell for a few people. 

This is better than my expectations, I love that detonator will finally get a decent theme and the cinema is so versatile so no matter what it is used for and when. It will just be “Thorpes cinema”, even for conferences ect…

The detail and look is better than what I expected, just maybe a little less empty but guest flow and events have been considered, so it’s pretty good.

Thing is, I know we knew this but it is a repaint and repair of existing buildings. These buildings are some of the original buildings and have been used over and over again. It would have been nice to see some dramatic changes to the area to change it up a bit. It may have been nice to create different uses for the shop and the peckish food outlets. Just add something new.

however, it’s nice to see Thorpe go down a themed route which is smart, fits in and won’t stick out. It’s not focused on new rides and bringing people into the park. It’s a project about putting pride into the park. 

I like the idea. It's smart and slick, and will remain as a hub for the Mardi Gras event which will no doubt continue in the future.

Hopefully we see some 3D facades rather than just simple paint jobs. Or just some extra details. One of the issues I felt with Angry Birds Land is everything largely felt flat and basic, with some of the detailing lost from the previous area (canon shot marks on the buildings, etc).

Its good to see a redo of this area even if its the situation of making thematic adjustments to what's already there. Just a Shame it couldn't be like when Angry Birds Land appeared they added a small flat, since the dodgems was a great addition and something similar is a good addition to the park, a small flat that everyone likes.

Though its a question of what and where

Hopefully the 3d Show will be good, though the graphic suggests its currently unknown or perhaps multiple shows. 

Or the lake freezes over and Pirates 4D comes back

• 1 month later...

Quite fun that we still don’t know what the new 4D film will be. Perhaps the generic cinema theme points towards it not being a specially made film,

as you’d think they’d go all out for that. So perhaps it’s a film that already exists at other parks, as Pirates 4D was. Anything out there that Thorpe might buy in?

Or maybe it will be a specially

made film!

• 1 month later...

People thinking it's going to look like the concept art are absolutely delusional, much like the park

Here's an example

Detonator - Concept Art

image.thumb.jpeg.23c25a2cca411ba3ebc14ff9fa605b59.jpeg

Detonator - What You're Actually Getting

image.thumb.jpeg.799e075f40dad015fade6cb7d11f27cd.jpeg

Thorpe - Response to comparison

image.thumb.jpeg.2664aa4f86cb90cac8bdaa385fbec104.jpeg

This will be ****. Make no mistake. 

4 hours ago, StevenVig said:

People thinking it's going to look like the concept art are absolutely delusional, much like the park

Here's an example

Detonator - Concept Art

image.thumb.jpeg.23c25a2cca411ba3ebc14ff9fa605b59.jpeg

Detonator - What You're Actually Getting

image.thumb.jpeg.799e075f40dad015fade6cb7d11f27cd.jpeg

Thorpe - Response to comparison

image.thumb.jpeg.2664aa4f86cb90cac8bdaa385fbec104.jpeg

It certainly isn't the same as shown, but give it a chance. Foundations are down for a theming structure and some other paintwork has been done! 

The work over at other areas under the sparkle work shows they can still do a good job! And some more Detonator photos courtesy of Jack. https://x.com/J_Silkstone?s=20

20240219_222109.jpg

20240219_222114.jpg

20240219_222434.jpg

22 hours ago, StevenVig said:

Come on now, is it as bad as all that?

The work they’re doing across the park has been very good so far, especially at Stealth and Colossus.

Even if Detonator isn’t going to be like the concept art, it’s an improvement on Angry Birds, is only one part of a new area, and it isn’t even finished yet.

I do have to say though it baffles me that everything Merlin do goes right down to the wire - you’d think they’d be at the “finishing touches” stage ok everything now wouldn’t you considering how close opening day is.

I think Detonator looks alright to be honest, it's always just been a tarted up temporary funfair ride at the end of the day. Once the whole area's done, it'll be the most cohesive that part of the park has ever been, it spent a lot of its time being a mashup of pirates and 1950s America, then the dodgy Angry Birds IP plastered over it slap bang in the middle of Amity Cove.