Slammer

Artie

Dumb question time, but what is wrong with it? Is it the same thing going wrong over and over, or is there a long list of issues with new ones occurring all the time?Surely S+S must be held financially responsible for issues which have never been resolved since installation?

I think it's just that the ride has alot of parts and just isn't designed too well.I have no idea if the other one has the same problems but the ride just seems to be flawed in it's design.

My understanding of it is that the stresses on the central column/drive wheels etc are very high and they undergo fatigue which leads to cracks and fractures. The daily checks are to make sure that if a crack is found in time it can be welded shut before it fast fractures through and breaks the component.Usually when it's down for a while it's due to waiting on a replacement part because of the previous one breaking.

The joints were covered in crack detection paint, the other day.You just have to ride it to comprehend the ridiculous amount of stress the ride goes under, it almost boggles the mind when it stops to spin the other way how much pressure it must endure.I'd assume a lot of day to day down time is due to the air compressor flagging errors (I'm assuming its air powered?). It's a dangerous thing, if something goes wrong that tank could go boom and destroy most of the surrounding area! Much like a car engine, the amount of pressure going through probably a very small gap has to be absolutely perfect, and it wont budge until that requirement is met.

There are thousands of reasons it could have minor downtime. While it is powered by air, it's rarely a problem. Usually it is to do with an operator error (you have to manually lower the ride from both sides at the same time within a 10 second window, if not it stays at the top), a balancing issue (the guest weight needs to be almost equal on either side due to rotational stability issues) or a restraint problem (if there is moisture in the lock detection system, the ride may not register a seat as locked meaning it won't run).Extended downtime is usually due to waiting on external companies to manufacture specific parts as SAWROB said.

...or a restraint problem (if there is moisture in the lock detection system, the ride may not register a seat as locked meaning it won't run).

Surely that's a fairly fundamental issue? I don't know how easily or frequently this can become an issue, but since you flagged it up as a primary one and considering it's in its eighth year of operation you'd have thought S&S would have a restraint locking system which doesn't allow moisture into it or to affect it so harshly. I'm hardly very clued up on technical stuff as you can probably tell but this stuck out at me as fairly common sense... if Inferno can pound round in the rain without having restraint issues why would they let Slammer suffer so easily?

Its had them since day one, I remember back in 2005 when it rained they had huge covers for the paddles to try keep them as dry as possible, its odd how this dont seem to affect rush though.Its a shame but with all the above taken in to consideration, the ride cant have that long left, can it?

I remember when I was looking at the website before my first visit to thorpe, I was looking at the ride list and Slammer was the one that looked proper scary to me. When we arrived at the park the entrance seemed quite hidden away and there was no queue (it was a hot, busy day), overall it was quite a disappointment. I was expecting it to be a main thrill ride, instead it just seems a side piece. Overall I agree with you guys I can't see it lasting much longer with the constant downtime and it doesn't seem very popular, which is a shame :o

• 2 weeks later...

My sources from the park have said there has been a major incident on Slammer and it fell down

Jeez that's bad, and I can imagine how easily that could happen. Was anyone on it at the time, because that would really suck. If this is true, then I expect we can say bye bye to slammer.

• 2 months later...

Thorpe Park have themselves said on their Facebook page that they are awaiting parts and have no plans to remove Slammer. I imagine they have simply taken the sign down to minimise the attention drawn to the ride.

Personally I hope Slammer is around for years to come - always find it thrilling and it really is a rarity.