Slammer

Artie

After being at the park on Tuesday, it did look very weird to have a ride sat there which everyone identifies as Slammer but with all its' signs removed; overhearing many people and even in the people I went there with have come to the conclusion that the ride's days must be numbered if they are removing signage from it.

Maybe they've just realized that doing short term fixes to open it ASAP is a loosing battle so removing it from the line up for the remainder of the season and giving it a proper strip down during closed season is far more resource efficient; maybe even send a component or two back to S&S.

Maybe they've just realized that doing short term fixes to open it ASAP is a loosing battle so removing it from the line up for the remainder of the season and giving it a proper strip down during closed season is far more resource efficient; maybe even send a component or two back to S&S.

I thought part of the enormous cost to keep Slammer running, in conjunction with it's frequent tantrums, is that S&S no longer manufacture parts for the Sky Swat? They've had to contact external companies to build the required parts for Slammer when they need replacing since S&S stopped the production of the Sky Swat in... 2008? 2009?

I forget when, but I like your idea about Thorpe giving it some serious TLC - would be far more logical than trying to justify the cost of anymore quick-fix solutions, but it does beg the question: half way into the open season, why is Slammer behaving like this when surely, a sufficient level of maintenance should've been carried out during the closed season?

This is a fair point. Well, Thorpe quite clearly are not giving the ride up without a fight if they are continuing to source parts for it from third parties; numerous other companies would be well rid of it if they had to do this.

It definitely sounds like the ride is not just flawed mechanically but structurally. It is one thing to have it keep breaking down mechanically with different mechanisms (or one main one) needing replacement but if the stresses involved (and granted, they are huge) cannot be handled and "checks" continually have to be done then it sounds like some pretty critical structural parts need to be replaced entirely with something stronger.

To be fair Slammer does contribute to the whole "nations thrill capital" thing Thorpe have going on so it would make sense that they would want to try and hold on to it for as long as possible.

Still we should find out its future soon enough. They must clearly have something planned for it.

Was looking through the Thorpe Park facebook page and a guy called James posted on 24th June "What's the deal with Slammer? Do you plan on removing the ride this year?" and Thorpe Park Official responded "Hi James, Slammer is currently unavailable however there are no plans at present to close the ride. We'll update our website and post on Facebook as soon as Slammer is ready to re-open. Enjoy your visit!"

So I guess that answers the current debate for now.

It definitely sounds like the ride is not just flawed mechanically but structurally. It is one thing to have it keep breaking down mechanically with different mechanisms (or one main one) needing replacement but if the stresses involved (and granted, they are huge) cannot be handled and "checks" continually have to be done then it sounds like some pretty critical structural parts need to be replaced entirely with something stronger.

Another point that backs up here is this picture I managed to take. It shows that some major work is going on the center column and "swat" arms.

This is a pretty major part of the ride

On Thorpe Park's website, the message has changed from "Slammer will be unavailable until further notice" to "Slammer will be unavaible today...sorry for an unconvienience caused"

This confirms Slammer will open later this year I think and judging by the picture that c1hrisin took it looks like they're just fixing cruical parts of the ride which probably broke.

It will open at some point, Thorpe Park commented on a Facebook post in June that there are no plans to permanently close Slammer and in the Questions to Thorpe Park subforum they have confirmed engineers are/will be working on the ride.

We just need to be patient. It has gone down for a good month or two during several seasons since it opened.

Well slammer seems to have been down for feels like months. personally I like the ride, its different and unique, sure its not the most comfy ride in the world but its fun in my opinion. I'd say maybe that because it has been down for a couple of months and they say they are not going to permanently close the rides so I'm thinking it'll be closed for another month if that I think. I don't know what do you people think.

7 actually...

But if the ride is constantly buggered, and the company who original made it are no longer producing parts for it, the park MUST consider the benefits against the high costs of maintenance and the unreliability the ride has had over the 7 years it has been open...

No ride has a specific lifetime, but if Slammer keeps playing up like it has been, then it's time might be coming to an end...

Imagine the potential if Thorpe removed Slammer, NWO, the Arena and Storm Surge eh?

Imagine one long rollercoaster... Then imagine that instead they have duelling coasters as well as flats below it. Thats the kind of idea I wish merlin would have, an epic one.

What other flats do Thorpe actually need though? I've been trying for years and I still can't think of one which would be of enormous benefit.