Slammer

Artie

The trouble with the uniqueness argument is that it just doesn't hold.

Look at X:\NWO. I think it's the only totally backwards in the dark coaster in the world (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). But it seems likely with all the rumours that it will be turned forwards.

So just because something is unique, doesn't mean it's immune to removal.

Let's get back on topic (and less offensive (yes, Benin and Mia-Louise)), and one main reason Slammer will stay is because it's the only sky swatter left in the world. It's unique, and you're not likely to find another ride of its kind anymore.

Wrong, http://www.sixflags.com/newEngland/rides/Catapult.aspx, but thanks for playing...

There's a reason you won't find another of it's kind anymore, S&S don't make them anymore, which is another step towards Slammer's downfall as of course the original designed for the ride and ride alone components for the ride CANNOT be purchased by the park... Hence they go externally, hence effectively every repair they make on the ride is a bodge job, patching it up until something else goes on it and they have to put that back together as a bodge...

Eventually, it will be full of components that were not designed to withstand the ride's pressures, and then what'll happen? It'll probably be taken out back and put out of it's misery...

As said, just because it's unique (to Europe) doesn't make it immune if it continues to be the mass headache it has been for years and years... Hell, one of the reasons NWO might well be going forwards to because they're sick of it closing for essential cleaning, so there is no real reason why an unreliable ride for months every year is likely to withstand the test of time...

One minute I hear it's the only one left in the world, the next I hear it's not. But frankly I don't give a damn.

And it's unique to Europe, yes. I think a lot of people forget that mainly runs on compressed air. Also, Slammer's operating system is often out of date, I remember several years ago when I visited it didn't open until the afternoon because it was "online to America, recieving a software update, and it will be a couple of hours."

Where do you get all of your information on? You seem fairly clued up, do you run the place?

You know it deffinately isn't going anywhere anytime soon, you also know why the ride is experiencing downtime as it is recieving a software update? These are things that any regular visitor wouldn't / shouldn't know?

Your attitude towards other people in this conversation has been nothing short of ridiculous, nobody is right or wrong, they are opinions. You need to accept that other peoples opinions may differ from your own. Grow a pair.

I'm clued up because I take an interest in how things work, therefore I have the knowledge of the past, present and future. I'm always on the look-out for happenings and I'll find out as much as I can.

Yes, I accept that other peoples opinions may differ from my own - of course that'g going to happen, this is a debate! There's a lot of people in general who are in such denial about the future of rides, they just don't want to admit the real truth!

Try talking to some staff and technicians, you may actually learn something!

Oh, I won't grow a pair thanks. I already have a pair.

Nobody knows how long a rides life cycle will be. Obviously people will have opinions based on problems the ride has had in the past. It is obvious that Slammer has had a lot of downtime and it has cost Thorpe Park a fortune to keep in operation, that's something we can all agree on. If Thorpe Park find a suitable replacement that would be much cheaper and reliable for them, keep the guests happy and the costs low then I'm sure they'd replace Slammer. For now, Slammer is a fantastic and unique ride experience and we should enjoy it whilst it lasts, because nobody actually knows for certain how long it will be.

This debate happens time and time again... "When will Slammer leave.. Oh it must be soon it's had loads of downtime.. etc" ;) I love the thing, and the only similar experience I have ever had is on a Booster where the seats decided not to rotate. Would be a shame if it went but I don't think they'll hold onto it if they do find something suitable as a replacement.

I'm not talking about the magnetic brakes, I'm talking about the LIM's in the station. Now who's a pillock.

Colossus only has several kicker wheels in the station which are powered by electric motors? They are also on the brake run but pop up and down with the use of compressed air in the same way as Stealth does to prevent the train from wearing over the tyres at speed..? The ride has Eddy-Current inducing fixed magnetic brakes on the brake run. As Mia-Louise & Benin explained, there are no LIM's or LSM's on the ride. :ph34r:

I understand you loud and clear. It is now clear to me that people on this forum want Slammer to stop working altogether and to close forever. There seems to be a hatred of this ride and for people to get rid of it as soon as possible. It's not going anywhere for the time being, it will still continue to operate, let's get over it. It's a minority of a ride that isn't around much any more, let's enjoy it and stop slagging it off.

Bring them into this conversation and tell us what they know!!

Slammer must be the most ignored ride by enthusiasts at the park in terms of discussion on internet forums. There is no hate for a ride that you seem convinced exists. It's just plain facts that Slammer has had a lot of downtime. Thats it. No conspiracy, no hate.

I think you need to brush up on your ride vocabulary. And I'm laughing at you because I know I am right.

And enough of the troll business.

I'm not talking about the magnetic brakes, I'm talking about the LIM's in the station. Now who's a pillock.

Let's get back on topic (and less offensive (yes, Benin and Mia-Louise)), and one main reason Slammer will stay is because it's the only sky swatter left in the world. It's unique, and you're not likely to find another ride of its kind anymore.

One minute I hear it's the only one left in the world, the next I hear it's not. But frankly I don't give a damn.

And it's unique to Europe, yes. I think a lot of people forget that mainly runs on compressed air. Also, Slammer's operating system is often out of date, I remember several years ago when I visited it didn't open until the afternoon because it was "online to America, recieving a software update, and it will be a couple of hours."

Bolded just because it made me laugh at the fact that you pretty much just set yourself up for millions of jokes =D

Italics is the fact that please point out to me in your original post where you talked about it being in the station. I can only go on by what I see you write, which to be quite frank is a load of bollocks.

Don't tell me to brush up on my knowledge when you've been proved wrong time and time again in this topic and many others. I would love to see where you get all this from, please give us a source that isn't ''I liek totally know some1 innit''

EDIT: Actually I would also like too point out that you're telling us to be less offensive when you're calling me a pillock (which is soooooo 1970's love) and saying that you're laughing at me. Negativity creates negativity

Oh and for the record I'm going to read your posts at face value as that's the only way I can read them, I'm not a psychic. .

Mia, you are pathetic, I don't have to answer anything to you. So less of the abuse, less of the name calling and a little more respect. And also read what I said earlier, clearly you don't:

I'm clued up because I take an interest in how things work, therefore I have the knowledge of the past, present and future. I'm always on the look-out for happenings and I'll find out as much as I can.

It's just plain facts that Slammer has had a lot of downtime. Thats it. No conspiracy, no hate.

Yes, a lot of downtime, nobody can deny that. But if that's what you think then fair enough. From what I see, it's a hate.

Mia, you are pathetic, I don't have to answer anything to you. So less of the abuse, less of the name calling and a little more respect.

pot-kettle-black.jpg

Why are other opinions so offensive and 'wrong' to you? You're assuming a lot about other people's opinions on here and generally posting a lot of rather and undeeded personal attacks on those who have a different opinion...

To call someone pathetic and then have a go at them for being abusive? Priorities are certainly not in order, and your arrogance and dislike of people disagreeing with you (indeed, we ALLLL have our own little sources and many of us have experience working at the parks, we know our stuff) is just extremely off-putting to everyone involved...

You mention giving you respect... With your style of posting, you ain't gonna get any of that from me...

Yes, a lot of downtime, nobody can deny that. But if that's what you think then fair enough. From what I see, it's a hate.

It's interesting you claim that there's hate for Slammer from this forum / online forums in general, yet the most recent Theme Park Awards had Slammer voted as the UK's best flat ride by members on this very forum.

Just a bit of food for thought for you.

Benin: No respect from you? Then you'll be slapped on the wrist by the big boys here!

It's interesting you claim that there's hate for Slammer from this forum / online forums in general, yet the most recent Theme Park Awards had Slammer voted as the UK's best flat ride by members on this very forum.

Slammer is slated on other forums, not just this one! Then if it has been voted the best flat ride, the result is two-faced.

Benin: No respect from you? Then you'll be slapped on the wrist by the big boys here!

Erm, yeah, whatever the hell that means...

Personally, since I'm not the one calling other people pathetic for not sharing the same opinion as you, I'd like to think I'm rather safe from any SCARRRRRRY wrist slapping I might get from the 'big boys'...

learn to drop it because I have.

I feel this debate has gone far enough, this is the last I shall be saying on it

As I say, I'm not debating this anymore.

I said yesterday I'm saying no more on it, and now I'm definitely not.

This "debate" seems doomed to go on for eternity.

After reading this topic, I feel lucky for the few times I have ridden Slammer. I knew it had been open perhaps only twice out of the many times I've visited Thorpe Park in recent years, but I wasn't aware of just how unreliable and indeed rare the ride really is. So true that it has become forgotten because of its poor reliability and geographical location, just compare it to Rush which is perhaps the most popular (and actually fun) flat ride in the park. Whenever it is open, I often see people in the queueline just give up and leave, even if they are really close to the station, presumably because that corner of the park is so dead and it takes forever to finish one ride cycle.

I've only been on slammer once, due to the fact its broken down all the time but I can see it being there for five more years 7 or 8 at an extreme push. I think eventually soon then later people will lose interest like all rides, personally I like the ride but I think it will go soon :(

In case anyone wanted the opinion from someone who works on park (as far as I am aware this doesn't break my confidentiality agreement):

Last time I spoke to engineers on park, while it may make sense for it to be removed due to the amount of maintenance which is constantly required, there are currently no plans to remove the ride for the time being. However, I (like many other people here) would not be surprised if it will go in a season or so based on how the ride performs this year. Each ride has a set budget per season, if it's found that a ride is exceeding it's maintenance budget by a large amount, the park will consider if the ride has enough appeal to the public to warrant a budget increase.

Hope this clears things up.