Samurai

Phill

My first job back in 1998 paid a whopping £3.25 an hour (although bearing in mind this was way back in 1998!)

Yes of course staff members are going to get stressed/grumpy - totally understandable considering that some members of the general public are park guests are idiots (to put it mildly) - in general I've found Thorpe Park staff to be happy and enjoying what they do. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The way Samurai has been closed for quite a while now, seems as if it isn't going to be repaired again and even if it was you wouldn't miss much because the cycle nowadays is so slow and short, much better last year and hasn't been the same since it closed in fright nights, most likely now going to be scrapped at the end of the season and I reckon it will not be replaced.

The thing is the situation is quite similar across English merlin parks as quite a few of the older flats are coming to the end of their lifecycles and not including Wild Hog Dodgems, we haven't seen any flat rides since Rush and Slammer. There is no point in Thorpe just going and a buying a ride with a short life cycle and is very common, they need to design a new flat ride concept like that of Rush or even just change an already existing model such as Slammer. But if over the next few years we don't receive any new flats, the park will begin to come bare, same with Alton and CWOA as none of the parks have any brand new completely unique flat rides anymore.

Unique flat rides are not really a thing that exists unless it's a dismal failure like the skyswat. Flat rides are not meant to be world firsts. The best flat rides are the refined models not the brand new ones. Swap out samurai for a flat ride and the park is fine.

They kept slammer working so they will get a good few years out of the rest of them. Samurai however has no reason to be kept and lots of reasons to be removed. Its time has come to be removed. However weather it will be removed is a completely different question.

Believe if you wish... Apparently Samurai is due (and even I take the prediction from a worker on such an unreliable ride with a pinch of salt) to reopen end of next week.

I wonder how much money The rides like slammer and samurai have haemorrhaged from thorpes budget, and if it's really worth keeping them. They must think so! If samurai does reopen I can see it being closed by fright nights as per usual!

That's why its moat likely that it will be removed at the end of the season, and the thing is when it does reopen it will probably be running at an even lower setting then it was before it broke again....

I'm sure we have all been saying this for the last three or four years. Yet every year it makes it back into the lineup.

If Thorpe can spend the time and effort on doing Slammer up every year, even with it being closed for several months each season, then I don't see why they can't do the same for Samurai to be perfectly honest, even if it means just taking the hit and getting an entirely new model.

If Thorpe can spend the time and effort on doing Slammer up every year, even with it being closed for several months each season, then I don't see why they can't do the same for Samurai to be perfectly honest, even if it means just taking the hit and getting an entirely new model.

The difference in my opinion is that Slammer offers a unique experience to the world whereas Samurai is just one example of many Topscans across the world, and a poor one at that.

The difference in my opinion is that Slammer offers a unique experience to the world whereas Samurai is just one example of many Topscans across the world, and a poor one at that.

Was expecting someone to play the "Slammer is unique" card.

The thing is, if Thorpe are pumping money into Slammer because it's unique, why aren't they advertising it so? If its uniqueness is such a good thing, tell people about it and make them want to ride it!

True they never advertise it, but whenever your in the park you always hear people talking about slammer and how they haven't seen anything else like it and how in their opinion it is the scariest ride and so on so Thorpe really should advertise it even if its only in the ad for a few secs it would still boost it's popularity, yet most of the adverts always include samurai which as many have said there are so many other better models of out there in the world...

Samurai is still popular, lots talk about it and I think the park will try and keep it. Who knows maybe they will replace it with a newer model like they did with Zodiac. If they ever do, lets hope they paint/theme it! Can imagine a fairground model such as Top buzz With the Samurai logo stuck over the Top Buzz sign!

Yeh if they did replace it, they definitely need to make sure it has none of the fairground lights, and should probably go for a new colour scheme and maybe rename it and I still wish that they would make the new zodiac look like the original which actually fit in with the lost city theme....

Someone mentioned before that Thorpe could re-theme Samurai around the carousel trap from the Saw franchise. This would be a great idea because a)Samurai is painted to fit in with the lost city, yet it feels a bit out of place. B.) Samurai are from Japan and not an Aztec jungle city. C) Saw the ride is closer to samurai and it would expand the saw theme within the park.

Saw the ride is closer to samurai and it would expand the saw theme within the park.

As good an idea as this sounds, I just can't see it happening. Heck, when we had SAW Alive as an all year round attraction, it did feel very strange to supposedly have two of Jigsaw's warehouses! Also, I do prefer SAW - The Ride being 'THE' Saw ride, hence it's name. Just makes it that unique for a ride with such an IP is all. :)