Samurai

Phill

is it worth it. A new Topspin will just go the way of this one. it arrived at Thorpe basically a brand new ride and look where we are now. 

I see what you are saying, but given a new one will last a good number of years and Samurai is still a popular enough ride (when it is open), I would say it is worth it.

Of course, the ideal would be to get rid of the ride altogether and invest the money in something else which will help improve the park and the like, but getting a new topspin would be an alright, medium-term, solution for the park all things considered.

I see what you are saying, but given a new one will last a good number of years and Samurai is still a popular enough ride (when it is open), I would say it is worth it.

Of course, the ideal would be to get rid of the ride altogether and invest the money in something else which will help improve the park and the like, but getting a new topspin would be an alright, medium-term, solution for the park all things considered.

I'm someone who has loved and hated Samurai. In it's toned down, tame Thorpe location it has on the rare occasion surprised me but majority of the time it is a glorified ferris wheel. Maybe that's okay for the up for it families that Thorpe want to attract, I don't know but for one of the most thrilling rides in the planet, I find Samurai embarrassing.

Now, the thing is with a new Top-Scan, I want Thorpe to get rides that are going to last generations, not ones that have a five year shelf life at best. It's been a valiant effort to keep Samurai going, but lets face it, if they'd just packed it in around 2011 when it started spending half the season closed, a lot of wasted time would have been saved. Slammer's been open more this season, even Smiler has. Do we really want another ride that in 2020 will be closed more then it is open? If the answer is yes then so be it, but lets face it we don't know if the park are even considering this.

Finally, of course Samurai is popular at Thorpe. It's wedged in between two rollercoasters, it spends 2/3 minutes zeroing and it has a throughput that makes Rattlesnake blush. 

Samurai will now be joining the group of rides that open at 11pm as in the last twenty minutes before close, they put up the ride opening and close times for tomorrow on it, and it is due to run between 11am and 10pm. It was also the last ride to finish operations today....

Seems right. It never gets a queue at 10 and then you have to wait for a large group.

Samurai closed just days after supposedly opening from a massive work up project? Not at all surprising, Merlin really need to just replace it with a newer model regardless of things like paper work and costs (would be much cheaper & easy).

I'll be on park tomorrow (with a large chunk of TPM) to see what's happening and if it's the case it's died again just after getting the kiss of life.

The primary reason is that it is in manual control. This meaning it follows a pre-set cycle with determined start and end positions. As the ride completes the cycle, it will vary every time slightly, more on a old one, meaning it is out of position so the computer tries to correct it at the end as in its mind the cycle will only be complete when its back right where it started. On a new model on a pre set cycle it would not matter as the ride itself would be a lot more responsive, and would follow the sequence with less errors due to better performance. Thorpe could change this and remove it from the pre-set cycle (the end position staying the same as the start) but it would be less reliable as it may end up lowering not a loading zone and engineers use this current method so they can easily identify which pod is which, so if there is a problem with lets say pod 1, when it comes around they no exactly where it is when it stops.

The primary reason is that it is in manual control. This meaning it follows a pre-set cycle with determined start and end positions. As the ride completes the cycle, it will vary every time slightly, more on a old one, meaning it is out of position so the computer tries to correct it at the end as in its mind the cycle will only be complete when its back right where it started. On a new model on a pre set cycle it would not matter as the ride itself would be a lot more responsive, and would follow the sequence with less errors due to better performance. Thorpe could change this and remove it from the pre-set cycle (the end position staying the same as the start) but it would be less reliable as it may end up lowering not a loading zone and engineers use this current method so they can easily identify which pod is which, so if there is a problem with lets say pod 1, when it comes around they no exactly where it is when it stops.

That issue could be solved by putting numbers on the pods like at Chessington. Only issue then is that loading becomes a bit of a mess.

was it chosen by the park to keep it closed today as well then. :rolleyes:

Must be...

The ride was still in operation, they just had a member of staff closing the queue around half 5 yesterday (can't remember the exact time)... And we were with a worker (who wasn't working that day) and asked and they said due to problems they decided to close it early (even though the ride was still running, and there was still people in the queue, when the queue was shut off, just saying). Could be that it did actually suffer worse problems while they were getting through the last lot of people in the queue.