Nemesis Inferno

themeparkmad

Off topic but...

On Preview Day I saw the effects working on the Swarm from my view at the Stealth station in the morning. However, when venturing over to ride after a breakdown, none of the effects were on at all(No water, fire, mist or sound effects). What's the deal with this? Is this due to a system reset after a breakdown however the effects not being restarted? If so, why is only the ride reset, not the effects themselves?

Would be really interesting to know, a big recurring query of mine as it's a shame when no effects are running at all as it chips away at the overall atmosphere.

The ride specific effects are all run of timers, if they aren't triggered in a set amount of time, I think it is around 20 minutes, they "time-out" and have to be manually restarted. However if the ride area needs to be accessed or for other reasons, the "show stop" needs to be triggered which cuts all of the effects. Sometimes engineering forget to switch them back on, as their main concern is to get the ride operational again.

As electricBill and Ricky both pointed out, the engineering team are too busy dealing with the actual ride, so all effects come secondary, 'when they get round to it'.

I know Chessington have staff that have been working there for many years, and know the ins and outs of many effects, however the park rely a great deal on this, and should rather train new people as everything rests on their shoulders (oh yes, you know who you are), and if they leave or retire, so does their knowledge.

At the end of the day and with a few years at Merlin, I can assure you that they're all up for effects on attractions, but they don't think broken effects impact guest experience, as much as the ride being closed.

slightly heading off topic.. have they sorted the Swarm's water skim effect yet? Always baffled me that every other park can have a reliable water skim, except Thorpe Park.

• 5 weeks later...

Mist on nemesis inferno on Monday was really lacking, was barely just catching my feet inside the tunnel. It was pumping out loads from the top of the volcano though, I would rather it was the other way round!

I swear this happens every season, the mist is always amazing at the beginning but gradually seems to disappear as the year progresses?

Nemy is still the better of the two rides though [plus it's 9 years older].

I prefer nemesis inferno. That's my opinion anyway.

Hate all you like but nemesis just didn't live up to all the hype it receives. Each to their own opinion but I really find nemesis inferno to ride so much better and the intensity is kept throughout.

And for me that is why I like Inferno. It's not the best inverter by a long shot (Probably 8th on my list off 11) but I still like it.

[shameless plug]

http://forum.maniahub.com/blog/2/entry-547-drop-it-like-its-hot/

[/shameless plug]

Inferno is a good lesson in why not every ride has to be the very best and it's ore of the kind of ride Thorpe needs IMO.

• 1 month later...

There's one that goes off behind the train too, they've been around for a while but are either so pointless you don't notice them, or they're hardly ever turned on/working. Only noticed them myself a few weeks ago when I was walking past. Then went on the ride and didn't notice them when I was on it.