The Smiler

th13teen

People want to have fun on the ride, not be told a lot of facts and made-up text... I thought?

It depends what you want in a ride - some people just want to ride them without caring at all about the theming whereas other people (like me) like a little bit of background information displayed to add to the enjoyment of the ride/queuing experience.

Personally I like these signs, they aren't doing any harm and those who want to read them can do so.

It's really not like that because these signs aren't "theming". These signs aren't entertaining anybody, are they? They're just there to promote the ride (unnecessarily, as I think the ride looks convincing enough without knowing what track length it has yawn) and cover up the ugly concrete/metal gaps that shouldn't really have been built like that anyway.

What I mean is - a great theme ride experience is more exciting than signs with words on them. Surely?

Apart from that - yes - who cares indeed?

My first ride on The Smiler was at the beginning of July and, although not smooth it was nowhere near as rough and jolty as what I experienced last week, although my second go on the same day (in July) was pretty rough but I think we had a bad car. The last ride out of 3 last week was REALLY painful - my head was so smashed about that it made the fact that I stupidly walked face first into a rock earlier that day seem like nothing (and THAT friggin hurt).

A ride getting rougher as it gets older?

SAY IT ISN'T SO!

Wouldn't be surprised if the original one or two jolts around the Cobra Roll exit/Inverting drops are the cause of this...

Be interesting to see how rough it's gotten...

Obviously it will get rough, but I think the reason some are mentioning it is because the ride has gotten considerably rough over a very short period of time - less than a half a season in fact.

I hope Merlin sort this out because by the next roller coaster they have unless they do something Smiler will be unrideable (a la Goudurix) I just hope they sort this because its a great ride with great layout but it is let down by how rough it is. Speed (sorry to reference oakwood again) is smoother and that is 7 heck even Saw is smoother, Fix this Alton!

I didn't personally find it excessively rough back at the start of August mind, but I did realise the whole shock that it's not even been half a year...

Whether or not it's up to the same levels of Saw, I cannot say yet... Saw was bearly rideable for me in it's first season, so it's all going into personal opinions here... Then again, with the heavy amount of work the cars have to go through on a daily basis, it can't be that big a surprise that they're wearing down a lot faster compared to other rides... Hell, it probably does a lot more work than Nemmie does... But that can't be compared since B&M actually think through their designs...

It's a weird one how the two Merlin Gerstlauers are quite bad for roughness, as even Mystery Mine with it's set-square corners isn't awful...

When I rode it on 1/9/13 I didn't find it very rough at all, there were a couple of small jolts followed by the always horrible cobra roll jolts and there was a slight vibration in the train, but nothing seriously painful or anything that could ruin the ride. It wasn't B&M smooth by any means, but nowhere near as bad as some others have been saying.