The Smiler

th13teen

As a note; I really don't know how anyone can say the ride 'duels' with itself. If anything it interacts and that is purely coincidental (for the moment anyway)...

There are some real golden times when it interacts really well and looks incredible; very visually impressive. Really the whole ride is very visually impressive except from looking at in underneath with a metal grating an inch above your head.

Why fastrack is being sold now, when Towers 'said' that it wouldn't be happening until a few months after the Smiler has opened <_< At least there is a limit, but I dread to think how much this will affect the queue time for the main queue.

Had the chance to ride the Smiler on Thursday, after it spiting me a few times when trying to plan a trip to Towers (not easy when you live down south and have to consider petrol and hotel costs.) And I was very surprised with how smooth it was, for a Gerst considering most Gerstlauers I have ridden nearly always give me a headache or pain on my shoulder area. Loved the whole ride experience and it has made it's way into my top 3, Nemesis is still number one in my eyes!

I too have got a long journey up to the park tomorrow, (Fareham, Hampshire) for my first ever ride on the Smiler. The only thing I'm not looking foward to is the restraints, looking at EC's photo. The ride does look visually immense and hope to see some trains duelling interacting, especially over the airtime hills and the Batwing/Cobra roll

Will post my report and judgment on the ride tomorrow :)

Edited by Whiteknuckle

I too have got a long journey up to the park tomorrow, (Fareham, Hampshire) for my first ever ride on the Smiler. The only thing I'm not looking foward to is the restraints, looking at EC's photo. The ride does look visually immense and hope to see some trains duelling interacting, especially over the airtime hills and the Batwing/Cobra roll

Will post my report and judgment on the ride tomorrow :)

I was worried too but it is smooth apart from the 2nd part of the cobra roll and one of the last heartline rolls but apart form that it was fantastic!

I have two days at the Towers on Tuesday and Wednesday so hoping I will get the chance to ride The Smiler.

Did anyone see the funny argument on TPR about whether The Smiler was essentially two coasters stuck together (and therefore the 14 loop record is kinda cheating)? Since the owner there had a massive paddy when people argued with him,I would be interested to hear what people think here.

For me the thing that look the best about Smiler is its length. Short ride time is a problem for almost all UK coasters (except The Ultimate, perhaps!£ so it's great to see a ride that rewards the long wait times with a decent length of experience.

The Smiler's seats are the comfiest seats ever. This ain't no Saw where you're struggling for arm room either.

Totally agree, I had loads of room, and yes very very comfy, I felt the restraints were somehow wider aswell which was nice. I cant praise the ride enough it is epic!!

I'll post here what I'm going to post in my trip report.

THE SMILER, is an amazing attraction and addition to the Alton line up. We got in the queue about half past 5 (close at 6) and they had to have an overflow queue for the over flow queue just outside of X Sector. It was a bit manic because of where it was placed, because when they needed to move people to the first overflow, they had to block off the GP in X Sector so we could travel across. The actual queue is VERY cattle-penny, there are two stops at the shop which holds up the queue a lot which is a tad annoying but because of all thee near misses and how close you are to the track, it makes up for it. The mesh over the queue actually works in conjunction with the ride, because it feels like you're contained, you're the experiment. The theme music is actually very catchy, I often found myself and a lot of the others humming and singing along (and pissing off other people). It's infectious. Peaj and I were both singing the 'HA HA HA' parts on the way home so it certainly had some influence. We also noticed some wear and tear (already) particularly on the first inverted drop.

The inside queue is a bit disappointing somewhat, it's another small cattle-pen, the lightings quite cool to look at but the inside queue is very short lived. We did comment on how much we liked that because of the black rubber flaps, it prevented you seeing what was coming which worked rather well. After this cattlepen you hand in your baggage and head up the stairs and you're in the main station. I feel there is definitely something missing which could have been utilised inside, it felt bare. The station is very hospital like (we could even smell the wet paint) and Peaj using his people skills ;) got us front row. One of the members of staff you could tell definitely loved his job as he was all wacky and over the place.

The ride itself. The first half is very smooth and the restraints are very comfy, however, if you're tall like Peaj and I, you often find your shoulders digging into the restraints. The inversions keep coming one after the other, and the near misses with the Marmaliser works fantastically. Just when you think it's over, you're at the bottom of the second lift hill. The second half gets very jolty at times but doesn't take away from the experience, most of the effects you will hardly notice with the exception of a few. The cobra roll leading into the corkscrews (if this is wrong please correct me) are probably the most painful bits. The transitions don't seem to flow so fluidly and I found it partly painful, but I expected much worse, considering SAW...

After exiting and up the gay pride stairs :P You go through a series of corridors with optical illusions which really messed with my eyes. It basically confirmed the process was complete and really concluded the ride. The shop as well is brilliantly designed. The glass floor above the heartline roll didn't really work for us as we couldn't see much, but I was reading this is down to the sun shining on it.

You could tell the GP were loving it. They were lapping up the ride and the store was very busy considering it was the end of the day, a lot of purchases were being made. I particular like the SMILER eyes camera in the store too.

Overall the ride was really intense, one of the most intense rides I've been on, I found my eyes watering, and I'm renown for having a strong stomach but even I find my stomach churning at some points. It's a really great investment but is somewhat lacking indoors. The near misses were incredible, but I think because obviously expectations are always going to be higher, they fell short. But this doesn't take away from how good it really is. I just feel like I need a few more go's on it to make a proper analysis.

Rode The Smiler for the first time yesterday. Overall I thought it was a damn good ride which feels pretty much perfect as a whole experience. I don't think there was anything I could fault with the theming apart from two or three of the screens on the Marmaliser which kept going all pink like there was a loose connection or something... Was intermittent though. Also the speakers in the single rider / fastrack queue line area are rather tinny and lacking in bass. With the theme sounding so good in other areas they could've done with a couple more bass bins around the area just to give it a bit more... oomph to it. :P

I'd say it's now my no.2 UK coaster, as in my opinion Speed @ Oakwood has a stronger layout, Saw sits at no.3 (Gerstlauer lover I am). The Smiler is probably the best 'experience' you can get in the UK, but the combination of elements on Speed pleases me just that little bit more, I think it all boils down to the 'inversions aren't everything in a coaster' thing. It could've done with a nice couple of intense helixes and one of the airtime hills being a little more powerful. My favourite inversions were the inverted drops and the corkscrews at the end as well as the indoor inline twist. It also feels really great going up a vertical lift hill so soon after going through so many inversions, it's really rather dizzying! The cobra roll is a little rough as well as the final inversion which had some random jolt to it on my train, and there is a little rattle throughout the ride which is pretty much identical to what you experience on Speed: No Limits. The rattle didn't detract from the experience in my opinion though as roughness really doesn't bother me at all.

Don't get me wrong though, FANTASTIC coaster which I think we are very lucky to have here in the UK, and I look forward very much to riding it again sometime soon. X-Sector is truly now a brilliant themed area and is class thrill ride territory. :) Now if only they'd rip out Submission and put something more modern in it's place. ;)

PS... The exit of The Smiler is absolutely incredible and if the ride doesn't leave you dizzy enough, you may need to make sure you hold onto the handrails on the way out. :P

9/10 - The Smiler

Going tomorrow. As I've said before I won't be devastated if the Smiler is down, but I will be really pissed off if the whole of x sector (especially Oblivion) is closed because of it. By now they need a contingency plan - does a whole area really need to be closed to allow some machinery to drive in and out?