THE SWARM: Construction Updates

Marc

Welcome along Louise! :)There won't be a heck of a lot more to see just yet... as I say, more concrete going in over the next few weeks as more steel reinforcement goes in for the station - the whole job has about 200 tonnes of reinforcing steel, which is a lot more than SAW had.Site have some reinforcing mesh on site for various slabs, that's what you may well have seen (the "netting") - sheets about 2 x 4m, with square holes.

That does not look fun.

Oh, it is. Mostly. Some of it hurts like hell instead, but the bits that flow well are just beyond awesome.

And you would be right, it isn't. Rather underwhelming actually. Better to have a kickass layout like LC12 with fixed seats so B&M and the ride designers can fully control all aspects of the ride experience.

But with true 4D the designers do fully control all aspects of the ride experience - the twisting of the seats is designed into the ride and controlled by the extra rails along the track, it's not spinning at random. And that's why I think B+M could excel with a design like this if they can put their smoothness of engineering into the seat control. I hope that one day we will see.The shortness of the track is one of my concerns with the design too. But I think I might be underestimating the scale of it all in my head - it is hard to visualise the size from the plans, can't wait to see it go up now.

^One day we could see a spinning 4D coaster from B&M, but since they have only just brought in their own version of the train, we could yet be another few years from it... B&M love calculations and smooth things, and they are all the more better for it...

My point about the very few 4D coasters that are out there, is that they are pretty underwhelming when compared to fixed seat coasters of the same intensity and layout. The problem with them is that they make the rider very disorientated. Anyone that has ridden on Air will relate to this when the ride turns you on your back at completely the wrong point so all you see is the sky and wonder wtf is going on. At the point it rolls you back into the prone flying position, the ride becomes fun again. It offers little to the brain//eye/physical experience other than confusion. There is nothing more thrilling than seeing where you are going next and fearing you may not make it. That I think is what makes a great rollercoaster. Having said all that, if anyone can pull off a more convincing 4D experience, then I am sure B&M could.

I was also worried about the length, it doesn't look like the ride will exceed 1 minute 20 including the lifthill, it just looks incredibly short and going I think they said was 53mph to progress through that layout shouldn't be long. Yes, I believe it will be exciting and intense but I think it'll be incredibly short. The lift hill will take up a lot of time as well going 126ft, but hopefully it will pack a punch in the short time it runs.

Great to see that we will be getting some good shots of the coaster construction. I was worried that it may be a closed shop being on an island!Also, for those of you who were saying that the footers don't arrive onsite, have a look at these latest pics and you can see what I was trying to explain rather badly a few pages back about the hoola hoops!!! These are the hollow footers that are filled once in the ground. :)

I'm very intrigued by the looks of this. At first there were theories that this would be something linked to the Mayans but it seems that theory is dead and buried now and instead we've got some kind of man-made massacre bringing about the disintegration of "the world as we know it" . I get a Twenty-Eight Days Later meets The Crazies theme... which I'm not too disappointed about it must be said. :angry: Interesting to note the emphasis of "WAR is coming" in such heavily-stylised font. There's already some commenters asking whether that's the name of the ride. Odds are it's not as I doubt the name would be released this soon. And also, the date in the video is August 1st, which is one week away, and we've known from the start that this is just a day when something big is meant to happen with regards to the ride; it's not exactly going to be ready for the public by then.

I love it. Great video, and interesting theme. Remember the general theme is "urban destruction". The war reference could be a war with anything. There has been a lot of talk about aliens. Alien war?I've been watching Falling Skies on FX and watched Mars Attacks last night so I find this quite interesting.

I love it. Great video, and interesting theme. Remember the general theme is "urban destruction". The war reference could be a war with anything. There has been a lot of talk about aliens. Alien war?I've been watching Falling Skies on FX and watched Mars Attacks last night so I find this quite interesting.

It defo needs to be a much more 'make-believe' war (aliens, zombies kind of thing), otherwise it could get very touchy in the case of sensitivity...