2013 Changes

daboywunda

Isn't it jumping the gun a bit to say they're building a new flat in that spot, just because of a few fencing footers...? Why would they be starting with the fence anyway, isn't that generally the last thing during construction? That's not to say I don't think there's a good possibility of a new flat in 2013, but I wouldn't say its necessarily gonna be put there, when I saw it my first impression was that they were building a more permanent queuline for The Asylum maybe? That ride needs to go or be hidden out of site though, it has to be one of the creepiest SBNO rides I've ever seen.

Isn't it jumping the gun a bit to say they're building a new flat in that spot, just because of a few fencing footers...? Why would they be starting with the fence anyway, isn't that generally the last thing during construction? That's not to say I don't think there's a good possibility of a new flat in 2013, but I wouldn't say its necessarily gonna be put there, when I saw it my first impression was that they were building a more permanent queuline for The Asylum maybe? That ride needs to go or be hidden out of site though, it has to be one of the creepiest SBNO rides I've ever seen.

Thinking about it, that would make more sense.I'd suspect a new 2013 flat would go on the new island next to swarm...there was also work going on on that area (diggers and such) on the 15th.

Things don't have to be new and unique to be great. With the loss over the years of Dynamo, Rodeo and Calgary we have no old traditional spin and spew rides at our big parks. They can be massively forceful, generally reliable, can churn through the numbers at quite a rate and were always quite popular, especially with me.My top choice at the moment for a flat would be a proper European style free-for-all Tagada. I love those things and would suit Thorpes style. Or a round up/hearts and diamonds. Not that I believe either of those things will happen, I just want them to.

Things don't have to be new and unique to be great. With the loss over the years of Dynamo, Rodeo and Calgary we have no old traditional spin and spew rides at our big parks. They can be massively forceful, generally reliable, can churn through the numbers at quite a rate and were always quite popular, especially with me.

True. Gotta love a breakdance :P

I can see the new development going there next year as if you think about it it's not a small plot of land if used correctly as you got all the track going behind the inferno shop as well. I remember when riding it the ride always seemed to be longer than I was expecting and had a decent track length IMO.Yes it's not going to fit a massive ride but I can see it easily fitting in a flat ride there.I also noticed there is work going on behind the swarm as well which is not on the other island so we could see a repeat of 2005 with two new additions.............,.Now that would be a shocker......so yeah moving on.......

On park for opening day today and there curiously seems to be a new fence being put up around Miss Fungle's Safari that stretches around the back of Nemesis Inferno and to the Sing Star building. Is this the start of the work for the 2013 ride?

My initial reaction was the opposite - that the Park had decided that the area wasn't going to be used in the forseeable future and so decided to remove the eyesore by erecting a permanent fence around it. Surely if this was a fence for construction work it'd be a temporary one (a la Swarm, Storm Sturge etc)?Agreed with Valentez that a Zacspin would be awesome! What's the capacity like on those things?

Ben, you make a very good point. That has just as much logic than to erect a seemingly permanently fence for a temporary construction site (unless they're planning for it to last a while). However, by using the Merlin / Tusauds mentality, didn't they use a "temporary" around the site of the Black Hole that stood empty and unused for 6 years... Nothing is really more worthy of a permanent fence really.. I've also seen a similar fence around building sites, so it's still possible.Not sure what to make to be fair. If it was just to hide the cosmetic side of an SBNO ride, then why would they also stretch that fence around the back of Nemesis Inferno and up the lake too? Seems a little extreme to hide it where no-one can see it anyway...

That area is one of the possible locations for the 2015 coaster but it is also a possible location for a flat ride according to the MTDP.My guess is they are getting all the ground work (infilling) done for the 2015 coaster in advance as building around a flat would just cause problems.Does anyone else think that we'll be saying goodbye to the carousel and banana boat if the 2013 ride goes where miss hippo safari used to be.

That area is one of the possible locations for the 2015 coaster but it is also a possible location for a flat ride according to the MTDP.My guess is they are getting all the ground work (infilling) done for the 2015 coaster in advance as building around a flat would just cause problems.Does anyone else think that we'll be saying goodbye to the carousel and banana boat if the 2013 ride goes where miss hippo safari used to be.

I think eventually these attractions along with the Rocky Express will be phased out regardless of any new developments, saying that I know the Banana Boat is a personal favourite for many on here :P

I don't think Thorpe Park will remove all of their family rides. That would just be silly Having said that, I would not put it past them :rolleyes:Plus most people love the Banana boat and the Carousel is a piece of history for Thorpe Park as it has all the custom carriages on it. I hope they don't remove them, even if I do not ride them they still provide something for everyone.

I think they'll remove Mr Monkey's and the Carousel only because they don't advertise themselves at a family theme park. That's what Chessington is for. I can imagine because of the lack of investment Chessington gets, they'll transport Mr Monkey's to Chessington and fit it in somewhere.I like the idea of a ZacSpin actually, they could perhaps reiterate Mr Monkey into it (could be themed as falling from treetops) considering the area would fit the theme perfectly and then one of the classic rides would still have that more remembered feel to it. I can't say I would be too bothered about the removal of them but I'm sure others would be. It really irritates me though that they don't remove the SBNO rides, seeing the Railway, Safari (you can still slightly see it behind the fence) is just depressing.

I don't personally get what is so special about Huss Jump2s... Maybe I'm just missing something or maybe it's that Thorpe do pretty much have every conceivable axis of rotation etc covered by their collection already :o Plus I don't think they look very nice really. I don't know, maybe with the right paint job and surrounding area it might look okay.

I do agree with you. Jump2'sare ugly machines. They're bulky and I'd imagine they're hard to theme - the ride quality looks poor as well to be honest. If any new ride is added, a Giant Top-Spin á la Talocan would be best because as said by another member here, it would suit the theme better.For some reason, I imagine a Topple Tower would suit Amity Cove better.

I know what people think about Jump2s, but there's only one in the world....in Canada. Jump2s are unique because they spin you around as well as swing you up into the air and are said to be very scary because it looks like arms jumping about and when you're up in the air and get spun around, thats what people find to be freaky.http://coasterbuzz.c...read/32998.aspxI mean you've got people complaining about Topspins but if Thorpe installed a Topspin (Calypso Quay) that was as well-themed as Talocun and had a decent thoroughput, would you really complain?Or how about a Huss Delirium?http://www.hussrides.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=100&Itemid=155A Gyroswing or Topple Tower would be brilliant, you could send Vortex to Chessington and keep Delirium on Swarm island, themed as some natural disaster.Slammer though a hassle, I thought was brilliant. It was scary and I actually was scared to go on it and thought it was great but a novelty ride. Rush has been brilliant for Thorpe and was something decent and new and one or two more flats would hardly be bad.They could always install a duelling Zacspin which would be fantastic and could act as a flat ride.

Well firstly, before Slammer there was only one ever skyswat in the world and look how that turned out. The thing is, with a Jump2 is that they are massive rides with huge power consumptions and Thorpe isn't exactly gifted with space either. A moderately thrilling Jump2 isnt enough.I am so bored of this Thorpe top spin thing. The thing is, all over the continent there are parks with top spins, and guess what. They all NEVER HAVE QUEUES, they all HAVE POOR PROGRAMMES, they are all UNPOPULAR. Talocan, Rameses and Ripsaw are about the only exceptions. If you really want a top spin just go to Chessington. Why do people want cloned rides all over the placeThe thing with the Gyroswing is we have Vortex, Regardless of how much better a gyroswing may be, what is the point of replacing something to add exactly the same ride. And the topple tower is a ride that Thorpe really don't need. They are beginning to throw away the unreliable curse, adding something that Dollywood are actually sueing Huss for is a ridiculous ride for Thorpe to go for. it's not even going to be for their target audience for a start.People seem insistent on flat rides but no one comes up with anything that the park doesn't already own that is either unique or different enough. Honestly, they'd be better off adding a breakdance with the constant Jump2/topspin/topple tower suggestions.

The Delirium looks like a great cross-over ride, but I think people underestimate the size of the things. They're 100ft2! You can't simply buy one and "put" one anywhere. Deliriums are meant to be built over park infrastructure, such pathways and stalls, or even food outlets and boardwalk games. Also, their throughput would be terrible, even with 64 seats per cycle. Loading would take forever, so the hourly throughput would barely make 600pph, and that's being generous.Deliriums really are for parks of Cedar Point/Six Flags size. As much as I'd love the world to see one, I just don't see it happening at Thorpe - or at all, considering only three of HUSS' Giant Rides actually operate in fixed-setting theme parks around the world.