2013 Changes

daboywunda

I know Thorpe already have Rush, but what would you guys think of a ride like Pandemonium at Drayton? After a couple of rides on it I decided that it's pretty fun and unlike Rush, the swings seem to be more 'powered' where as the ones on Rush seem a lot more free moving if you know what I mean? Any way, I would like to see a Pandemonium join Thorpe's wide array of flats. What do you lot think?

To be fair, if it was done properly, I wouldn't be adverse to having a Sub-Terra style ride for Swarm.. They did a pretty good job of the final ride at Alton (after the changes I hasten to add) - and something similar might work for Swarm - BUT, it would also annoy the fanboys who have been on Sub-Terra - but the GP in London that may not get to go to Alton? Could work. I'd hate to see another maze that would just close after a year - what a waste of a concept!

Failing that, a Talocan style ride near NI would work.. Or even near Swarm (in the same manner that Ripsaw is to Nemesis) so that they can include fire effects a few months after the ride opens.

BTW, I wasn't privy to the behind the scenes day to see the woodie plans, but was is a CGI Big Fun? Also, what ever happened to the Canada Creek B&M Flyer?!

BTW, I wasn't privy to the behind the scenes day to see the woodie plans, but was it a CGI Big Fun? Also, what ever happened to the Canada Creek B&M Flyer?!

The GCI Big Fun is a super-compact coaster design and very rarely exceeds 70ft in height. Considering Thorpe's planned Woodie was to be 27m (just shy of 100ft) and nothing like the compactness of the Big Fun, I'd say it was just a standard GCI Coaster with Millennium Flyer trains.

Tussauds were all for the Woodie, but there were rumours that something to do with how the reclaimed land did not provide sufficient grounding for such a dense support structure that prevented it's approval. Another rumour, again unconfirmed, was that the density of the support and track structure would completely impede the view across the park from surrounding villages/towns, whereas the slender poles of steel coasters would not have this problem, so it could've been down to planning restrictions that ousted the Woodie plans. Whilst either of those stories could've played a part, the one with the most factual backing was that Merlin/Thorpe, after conducted their "market research" (cough), rejected the plans for a Wooden Coaster on account of the public not realising they're perfectly safe (excusing Gwazi). They then quickly turned to steel, proposing the idea of a Flyer but something to do with the price pushed them away. Considering most of the budget would be simply buying the actual coaster, leaving very little money to theme it (this never scared them away before, obviously, but all Merlin's B&Ms have come about as part of a three-part deal e.g. Raptor/Krake/The Swarm - whereas no deal was going to be struck if the Flyer was built in 2009) Thus, they chose an easily-marketable steel coaster design quite rare for larger-scale theme parks and whacked an IP on it to suffice any extra themeing/marketing costs.

Apparently though, the SAW franchise was there from the beginning. Not sure how reliable that information is though as the original leaked rumours pertaining to Project Dylan's theme were of an abandoned sawmill, and a Woodie would've been perfect for that.

P.S. But of course, the Thrills Workshop staff did mention that the Woodie plans were never actually dropped; only shelved indefinitely, so maybe it's not anything to do with the land not being sufficient at all and we may see one in the future. I just hope Merlin pull their finger out of their arse and don't wait for some other UK park to build a new Woodie before they get the balls to do it themselves.

Whilst either of those stories could've played a part, the one with the most factual backing was that Merlin/Thorpe, after conducted their "market research" (cough), rejected the plans for a Wooden Coaster on account of the public not realising they're perfectly safe (excusing Gwazi). They then quickly turned to steel, proposing the idea of a Flyer but something to do with the price pushed them away. Considering most of the budget would be simply buying the actual coaster, leaving very little money to theme it (this never scared them away before, obviously, but all Merlin's B&Ms have come about as part of a three-part deal e.g. Raptor/Krake/The Swarm - whereas no deal was going to be struck if the Flyer was built in 2009) Thus, they chose an easily-marketable steel coaster design quite rare for larger-scale theme parks and whacked an IP on it to suffice any extra themeing/marketing costs.

The Thorpe Flyer decision may well have also have been the result of the problems that Air had (and still to a degree has)...

If you believe other rumours as well, Saw was intended for Chessie in a sense until the Merlin deal went through... So there's a whole mixture of potential reasons as to why things were and weren't built... Indeed, the list of potential planned rides easily outnumbers the list of rides that actually got built...

• 1 month later...

Looking around Gerstlaur's website, I found these new theming proposals for this attraction. As mentioned in a comment from another ride like this one on youtube, the person said thorpe would be getting one. And it was also suggested on this forum somewhere. I think this would fit in well beside The Swarm.

Posted Image

Posted Image

It would make sense, but as a stand alone attraction? I hope not. What's the throughput of that thing, even with the ridiculously short and nonsensical ride cycle it had/has an dungeons?

Thorpe should be aiming much higher for something to compliment The Swarm.

Doesn't the MTDP say the little game zone by the Fish and Chip area is a potential flat spot?

If so, could it be possible to utilise the area for an attraction that could go in P4D? For example, having it as a queue area then have a bridge to the now-theatre for the ride? Or perhaps even ditch the chippy? Or would that be farfetched?

I too have heard rumours of an attraction going in the theatre, but size and a suitable queue area large enough would be some of my concerns...

Just outta interest, what's the footprint of Venegence?

Just found out that "Vengence" from London Dungeons hasn't been included in the panning permission for when it moves to county County Hall in London so... This might be a bit far fetched but maybe it could be moving to Thorpe Park and be put in the theatre where Time Voyagers was! Just an idea :L It would be quite good if given an actual score system and a really decent plot!

Doesn't the MTDP say the little game zone by the Fish and Chip area is a potential flat spot?

If so, could it be possible to utilise the area for an attraction that could go in P4D? For example, having it as a queue area then have a bridge to the now-theatre for the ride? Or perhaps even ditch the chippy? Or would that be farfetched?

I too have heard rumours of an attraction going in the theatre, but size and a suitable queue area large enough would be some of my concerns...

Just outta interest, what's the footprint of Venegence?

I certainly think that this is an option for next year. Looking at the old Pirates 4D/Time Voyagers queue area a couple of days ago, I reckon they could easily fit a cattlepen queue in this space, but I like the idea of a bridge connecting to another queue area where the game zone is currently situated. If Vengeance is indeed moving to Thorpe next year, (which at the moment seems highly likely) it would easily fit in the current theatre and there would probably be enough space for a pre-show room to explain whatever back story Merlin decide on. In regards to what story/film Merlin might decide to go for, I would reckon something to do with a pirate ghost ship with guests having to shoot attacking pirate ghosts perhaps.

I think we're getting one of three options:

1. Vengeance placed in the Pirates 4D/Time Voyagers theatre.

2. Vengeance placed in a new building where the hospitality tent opposite Swarm is currently situated.

3. A Sub-Terra style ride placed in a new building where the hospitality tent opposite Swarm is currently situated.

I would be extremely surprised if one of these didn't happen. Options 1 and 2 seem the most likely I think, but option 3 would be great.