Park Operations

Daniel.S313

The most recent complaint was due to a barrier issue I thought?

I came out of the park recently on a medium-business day and was stuck for ages trying to leave because one or more of the barriers seemed to be broken - No traffic on Staines Road at all

BS. The barriers are a frustrating nightmare even when the park is quiet. It's the road that's rarely a problem, the barriers always are.

In my experience (and I visit a lot!) only on the busiest of busiest days does the car park come to a halt inside - and on the worse days they sometimes raise the barriers and it still queues so I really don't think they cause as many problems as people make out

• 1 year later...

"Hottest day of the year yesterday" and it was great to see the staff getting looked after with supplies of water being delivered.  Though a terrifically hot day, what summed up the good nature of the clientèle was that it was security staff delivering the water to the staff at the rides. Well done TP.

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.thorpepark.com/resort-information/getting-here/

Changes to opening hours for August - park now officially opens at 9:30, but chooses at 6 (an hour earlier than previously advertised).

Only half an hour lost, and technically makes Summer Nights better. A shame about earlier standard close mind! :/

Operation cut back is definitely in force then. All the parks (apart from Lego) must be having a terrible season across the board.

They were always going to open at 9:30 anyway. Disappointing move from the park. 

True; which is why I said official opening time.  They weren't under any obligation to open at 9:30 until now to be fair to them.

Operation cut back is definitely in force then. All the parks (apart from Lego) must be having a terrible season across the board.

As bad as it sounds, I do hope this is more just Merlin cost-cutting to help get the money back lost from Towers' closure, as opposed to the parks struggling.  

Even pre Smiler crash the parks did seem quiet at the beginning of season, some Saturdays being virtually dead or no longer than 30 minute queues when weather was fine so these cuts must be from general underperforming.

Regards to opening times, the general rule is if the park is open until 6 or later (excluding FN) then ERT startsfrom 9:15 with Park opening from 9:30. They don't usually announce it as one it takes a bit of stress of the main entrance as you get the early arrivers in before the rush of arrivers for announced opening time.

Could be worse, I know someone who went today on a school trip, paid £35 and did a grand total of 1 ride in the space of 4 hours. 

They have no-one to blame but themselves.

I do hope this is more just Merlin cost-cutting to help get the money back lost from Towers' closure, as opposed to the parks struggling.  

The slow start of the season has probably been exacerbated by Saw, Fury and Rattlesnake being dragged into the press. It could be cost cutting but I bet disappointing gate figures are the real drive behind the loss of hours. 

Could be worse I know someone who went today on a school trip, paid £35 and did a grand total of 1 ride in the space of 4 hours. 

Could be even worse than that, how's about paying £100 and doing no proper rides at all....

That's what my neighbour did Sunday, took his son, who is just over the meter tall so had to pay full price for both (didn't take any of the discount forms), ended up only doing Angry Birds.

This is the neighbour in the block nobody likes, and as they never bothered to check what height limits are for the rides, didn't take any vouchers with them nor book in advance, none of us felt the need to offer 'advice' when the sister (who was having a bonding day with the mother) said where her brother was.....

We did laugh hysterically later though...

Also to note. Wednesday 7th and Friday Thursday 8th October are closed!?!?!?

The website often shows this for a while each year as it's the press/staff preview and then AP preview of Fright Nights. It changes eventually (unless for once they're actually planning to have it as a whole day thing but I doubt that). 

The big show of how badly the park is struggling if it is, is if they cut FN back to 9pm close even after last years crazy busyness. 

To be fair they do have summer nights and island beats til 10pm which I reckon they're trying to push. But then you've got the Sunday - Thursday where you've lost an hour of park opening!

And I know about 9.30am opening is normal, the rides aren't actually ready usually at 9.30 though. So I wonder if all rides will be open on time for 9.30 now it's advertised.

It's been said it'll be a wet August this year, couple that with The Smiler, and no worthwhile additions across the entire Merlin estate this year, and you've got one grim outlook. Sadly, for an investment company, Merlin really do suck at being proactive rather than reactive.  

It seems really odd they'd add half an hour at the start of the day, rather than the end of the day. If I were to be at the park later in the day, I'd be highly likely to buy more food/drink, whereas I wouldn't want anything at the start of the day. Especially when you consider they don't offer any sort of breakfast at the park either. (I assume the bar doesn't serve breakfast to non hotel guests?) 

I'm sure more would pay for dinner than breakfast. They should be open for both really. They need to focus on guest satisfaction and they are not going to achieve that with 9:30 to 6:00 people don't like getting there for opening. That can be seen from the queue times. People are more likely to stay late than arrive early.