Next Big Thing - 2016 Development ?

pluk

Does that not reach about 50mph?

It reaches 62 mph (wodan) haha, if that did happen it would be the 2nd fastest coaster in the park :P but yeah the apocalypse would be 50mph :)

And Expedition Everest reaches 50mph as well, but that's hailed as one of the greatest family rides in the world. I'm okay with a similarly spritely family coaster.

That would be great sidders but seeing as Expedition Everest cost in excess of $100,000,000 I don't think the Merlin one will be as good unless they did something very creative but cheaply :P

Edited by Tommy
Spelling

A dueling woodie would be perfect, would merlin invest in it?

Are there any possibilities of this happening? I would love to see it!

I would love to see it, but I very doubt merlin will invest in a woodie, as discussed before.

Side note: I would like to know where spelling is a rule on the forums? Just saying I would find it quite offensive if someone started editing my posts because of spelling and grammar....

Moving on; I think in the long run a woodie would be possible for a Merlin park. They clearly don't have an issue with Woodies since they happily operate them abroad. However, I do feel that from a family approach, they will find a decent family roller coaster - even if it has done before - that also has some kind of novelty that adds to the park.

Away from the family market I would like to one day see a B&M Floorless coaster come to Thorpe. I know it's an old concept, but based on riding Scream, I have to admit I find them incredibly fun to ride; and different, as it seems to put the forces onto your body in a strange way, and is also something not yet seen in the UK (is there even one in Europe? I'm not sure)

Floorless in Spain, however, I feel one at Thorpe would clash with Colossus, due to only being a looping coaster with a gimmick which doesn't add much overall to the product...

As for spelling, that's a given on any forum, if it's bad I'd hope the person gets a word in the ear about it...

Floorless in Spain, however, I feel one at Thorpe would clash with Colossus, due to only being a looping coaster with a gimmick which doesn't add much overall to the product...

Okay, wasn't sure. I don't particularly pay attention to what non-UK parks have hence why I was curious. I disagree that it doesn't add much, I found Scream a very good ride; which was different enough to not feel similar to other coasters at SFMM but like I said, also a different kind of experience, so I disagree that it'd be too much like Colossus with a gimmick. But then again, isn't that what they all are? Swarm, a looping coaster with a gimmick, Inferno, a looping coaster with a gimmick, based on what you're saying. Just because of a different seating position...

I'm one of those exceptions that really likes floorless rides. I don't think Thorpe need it particularly. There's definitely enough looping coasters at the park now for sure.

(There's also Dæmonen at Tivoli and if we were being really pedantic, Krake at Heide has floor less seating)

Okay, wasn't sure. I don't particularly pay attention to what non-UK parks have hence why I was curious

:o:o:o

Okay, wasn't sure. I don't particularly pay attention to what non-UK parks have hence why I was curious. I disagree that it doesn't add much, I found Scream a very good ride; which was different enough to not feel similar to other coasters at SFMM but like I said, also a different kind of experience, so I disagree that it'd be too much like Colossus with a gimmick. But then again, isn't that what they all are? Swarm, a looping coaster with a gimmick, Inferno, a looping coaster with a gimmick, based on what you're saying. Just because of a different seating position...

To the average guest though, Swarm and Inferno's seating arrangement are different enough to have 'a place' in the line-up as it were... At SFMM there's 3 coasters that focus on multiple inversions (Viper, Riddler's and Scream), but the park is big enough really to get away with that (plus Viper has a lower height limit, whilst Riddler's has the stand-up feature/burden)...

Problem is at Thorpe, Colossus is the world record breaker, and I don't feel that the Floorless idea is enough of a differentiate for guests (aside from the fact it won't attempt to break your neck) to give much of a damn towards a ride that lacks much in the way of a gimmick in comparison...

I don't know why but I'm not on the wood train yet. I mean granted the last wooden coaster I went on was on both sides of Gwazi so that possibly knocked out any nice thoughts I had about them!

Right now I feel like this new ride should have a focus on real ejector seat airtime, something which can be achieved with more than just a wooden roller coaster. I'm feeling a B&M Hyper, make it a B&M trio at Thorpe, maybe they'd get some kind of discount ^_^

That would be great sidders but seeing as Expedition Everest cost in excess of $100,000,000 I don't think the Merlin one will be as good unless they did something very creative but cheaply :P

That's not the point Ethan. My comparison to Expedition Everest was purely speed-based. A coaster that can travel at 50mph doesn't have to cost $100,000,000. The point was that a family coaster doesn't necessarily need to be the speed of the Flying Fish.

Get out.

For me, Thorpe need to stick with something reliable, and put their own stamp on it. I'm not asking for the world's most anything, but to get the postcode's first something would be a bit **** as well. I think they need to bring something reliable and relatively unseen to the table and make it uniquely British. This would be very easy with a Mack Megacoaster á la Blue Fire or Helix, or a GCI/GG (not RMC thnx), as they're yet to touch these shores and they have nothing but rave reviews by all riders. A Wooden coaster that utilises the parks topography to it's full potential would be equally well received, as the last wooden coaster built in the UK is 18 years old.

Edited by Sidders

A Wooden coaster that utilises the parks topography to it's full potential would be equally well received, as the last wooden coaster built in the UK is 18 years old.

An educational coaster would be a boon for Thorpe indeed, though I'm not sure how it would fit in...

Even so, the topography of Thorpe itself isn't much to really play around with is it? I mean it's not like Towers and you have a giant valley, a terrain woodie wouldn't really have much in the way of terrain...

An educational coaster would be a boon for Thorpe indeed, though I'm not sure how it would fit in...

Even so, the topography of Thorpe itself isn't much to really play around with is it? I mean it's not like Towers and you have a giant valley, a terrain woodie wouldn't really have much in the way of terrain...

I meant the trees and the lakes. When Saw was built, the entire area was cleared. What's to stop them from keeping some of them and only remove the ones necessary for the layout or the emergency vehicle access?

Get out.

Dara, just throwing it out there you completely quoted me out of context. My point was that Benin referred to a B&M Floorless as being a Colossus as a gimmick, so I was highlighting that if you go on that basis all anything is, is a "Colossus with a gimmick" just because it loops like Colossus but with a different seating arrangement. Which is exactly what a floorless would do, loop with a different seating arrangement, and Benin said it would be a gimmick.

I wasn't actually calling Inferno a gimmick coaster, I was merely making a point based on what Benin said. You need to read carefully dear ;)

Don't believe everything a staff member tells you.

Granted, it's more than likely the next coaster will end up on that island behind Swarm and an engineer is a more trustworthy member of staff than, say, someone in F&B, just don't take everything staff say on future projects as 100% accurate!