Angry Birds Land

Marc

Well.... the photos confirm that this is a lazy cash cow orchestrated by pure greed.

You can't blame Merlin making a profit, if it makes you happy to pay over the odds for food, tickets, fast track and receive bland and an uninspiring Park in return.

What makes this worse is that my opinion is quite clearly in the minority.

This is still unfinished, I get it, but I'm not kidding myself to think that there's more to come.

Look across the other two parks, what we have here is Marlin at 100% there's not a lot left other than more 2D boringness.

Ah well.

My issue with this is whole damn project is that this is one of those (thankfully) rare investments that lets even the General Public know that the powers behind Thorpe and the rest of the Merlin family sometimes don't have the customer interest at heart.

You're going to have to elaborate a bit more here Sids, as I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say.

Do you mean the current theming shows how Merlin don't care about customers? That this project and choice of IP show this? Or something else?

Whilst I'd agree that installing Angry Birds as a theme is an obvious attempt to attract families, I don't see how it means they don't essentially care about them?

Or I've just completely missed the point of your post :P

I really don't see why its being judged so much before its even near opening.

Merlin get an awful lot of stick on here and I'm not too sure why, compare pre Merlin rides such Stealth and Rita to say The Swarm, Smiler and even Saw, there are massive improvements in terms of quality and effort. I see no reason at all why this area won't look good when it opens to the public which is what still over a month away?

I've been doing some thinking about all this now...

Merlin have dealt with a fair few IPs in recent years - Saw, Sonic (kinda), Madagascar, Ice Age, Lionsgate in general, Shrek in the future as well as CBeebies Land and Angry Birds Land this year. They've probably looked into more as well (I heard murmurs of Smiler possibly having a Halo IP for example).

Anyone remember in 2011 when Shrek almost happened at Alton Towers? It didn't go ahead because Dreamworks thought the quality of the area was poor. So, as you'd expect, Merlin work closely with whoever they partner with to ensure they get the best quality they can. But the Shrek/Towers thing shows if who Merlin are working with aren't happy, they can and will pull out.

We know Thorpe and Rovio are working together on this; just look at any article / press release. Some articles also suggest that this is the first of many places to show Angry Birds 4D, so I'd hazard a guess that Thorpe have got exclusivity for a year or two before other parks can roll it out. However, Rovio will want to ensure Thorpe's Angry Birds Land sells the idea. They'll want it to look as good as possible to show to other parks and say 'Look at what you can do if you buy Angry Birds rights off of us'. This investment is just as important to Rovio as it is to Thorpe, possibly more so. So I fully expect Rovio had a lot of input with the land, specifically the theming, so that it shows of what you can do with the Angry Birds theme and rights.

Also, look at Lightwater Valley's Angry Birds play area. Okay, it's nothing special, but it shows off the Angry Birds style well. Bare in mind that everything there is designed to played on/with, so has to abide by certain safety standards. Thorpe have 3 times the budget, and Rovio have probably worked more closely with Thorpe than LWV to show of AB4D, and they don't have to create themed structures for a play area, but instead have the option to create ones which look amazing and don't have to played on. Neither party will want to miss out on that opportunity.

Also, what we have to remember is the entirety of Angry Birds Land is currently accessible (of course, not the actual rides, but I mean the actual pathways, etc.). I imagine it's not easy to place 3D structures/theming when there's guests everywhere. Instead, I'm guessing lots of it has been made offsite and is waiting to be placed in a couple of weeks before opening when the land is closed off for final touches. I expect all we've seen at the moment are the 'easier' touches to put in place, and the more complicated (and more likely, more impressive) bits of theming will come later. It does seem like the opposite way round to how things are done, but I guess we've got to remember it's not being built during Closed Season.

tl;dr - Rovio will have had a say in the theming, and will want it to be as good as possible. I expect we'll see 3D theming in the land, just put in closer to the opening of the ride.

Edited by JoshC.

Thing is, what's been done so far, you'd expect from a park like LWV, Paultons, etc...

Not the biggest UK company who can afford higher quality products... I mean, 2d things stuck onto buildings? Not breaking down the walls of immersiveness are we? Fibreglass models to be dotted around at probably random locations inside the area? They look nice but it's so simplistic and basic... The entrances are entrances so provide very little to the overall area itself, but will probably follow the simplistic style/look of the games...

Of course, there is no point comparing it to DIC, because they invested the absolute bare minimum, but of course the Merlin additions are better because they couldn't really get any worse could they?

And Scorpion Express looks rubbish, very bare, bland and boring with the 2d facades and stuff...

The usual Merlin addition really, a 3d element followed up by blandly designed buildings and parts that make no sense to the uninitiated...

Once again I find myself wondering how parks who cannot afford such additions get by, probably because they think long-term and know that people won't come if their park is awful...

What's the budget for this btw? Including the cost of the IP...

Not going to lie, I am struggling to think of how much more could be done past 3D models (maybe with say some interactive features akin to some of the Wild Asia theming) for something like Angry Birds Land. The only other thing I can think of is full blown anamatronics, which is likely unrealistic. The lack of ideas I can think of though are more likely down to the fact that not going to many parks means I don't know what the bounds to things are.

Totally agree about Scorpion Express, which is where I can see why people have concerns about all of this. I think it could be slightly different due to the fact Rovio are overlooking the theming to a degree. I guess at this stage it's a case of playing the waiting game and, for the time being, just sitting on different sides of the fence.

As for the budget, the plans suggest figures of £2.7-£3 for "total investment". :)

What are you on about?

Raptor Attack is much better themed than most Merlin investments!

Which is really the point...

Smaller parks with less budget to buy a 10 pack of Freddos can produce some fantastic theming (though Raptor Attack is the best example available at LVW, the Pirate area is tacky and cheap), and yet for one of the top parks in the country we should be happy with bland additions with a real lack for detail...

Recent example, Nigloland completely hid their hydraulic system for their Chairswings in a chalet building and scenic train tracks... Why? Because it adds to the feel of the park's themed areas... We do not see this level of detail and ideas from Merlin as any enthusiasm gets knocked out by marketing heads who panic against any lack of instant return... It's not just the commercial and thematically uninspiring IP choices Merlin as a whole make, it's what they do with them... And even then, the likes of Swarm and Smiler cannot be considered world class because they lack the little details that takes a ride from great to fantastic...

The 'details' so far in this area retheme constitute as 2d things stuck to walls at random... Subtlety is certainly not Merlin's strong element...

The 'details' so far in this area retheme constitute as 2d things stuck to walls at random... Subtlety is certainly not Merlin's strong element...

I think the key words here are so far. Ok we are not going to have an area with Disney standard theming, but I am confident when it opens Angry Birds land will look good and be a massive improvement on what was there before.

They're metal plates attached to the walls, not stickers. So far we've seen the buildings being re-painted with bits of theming attached to them and some 3D models. If that's all that happens with this area then yes that will be disappointing. But there will be a lot more to come, I'm sure of that.

Some things I noticed yesterday were the amount of kids getting excited over the Angry Birds models, wearing Angry Birds clothing and having photos taken with the models/theming on the walls. This project could actually be quite good for the park and is exactly what they need to break into the family market.

Well before the area was kind of a mismatch between Amity Cove / Calypso Quay and Pirates from Pirates 4D so you had Amity Drop and Shop in a Pirate themed building, Amity Fish and Chips was also in a pirate themed building but then it was generally accepted it was part of Calypso Quay?

If anything it makes it a proper area and not just a mismatch.

I wasn't planning on doing any form of direct comparisons until the area officially opens, but may as well have a look at this for the time being:

246542_10200902317383248_119735925_n.jpg

Amity Drop n Shop and nearby area last year.

10154227_10154096670050624_1415662315469

Nearby area of Amity Drop n Shop (soon to be an Angry Birds shop of course). Photo from TPM.

Now, the photo from last year is clearly meant to fit in with Amity; water damage from floods, old, decrepit, etc. Fits in very well with the theme, and looks quite realistic as well.

What we have now is a bright and vibrant colour scheme (too bright some may argue and I can see where that idea comes from...). We've got some simple theming at the moment which, again, fits in very well with the theme. The main difference, as it stands, is that the colour of the building is a lot more textured and rich.

It's a shame that we've lost that textured design, as it works really well. But when you look at that bright, white building next to it, the effect is loss, and it just makes the other building look dirty (and not in a good way). There was a mishmash of themes going on, but - once the entrance structure to the land is put in place - that will no longer be the case; there'll be clear definition where one theme ends and another begins.

Also, we've got a bit of colour and something a bit brighter and happier in the park. Many people are quick to say 'Thorpe have too many gloomy / dark themes'. They've now got a more upbeat theme about it, which is a good thing in my books. Yeah, maybe it is a bit too colourful, but maybe once the area if finished, the scheme will work well with the theming.

It'll be interesting to do another comparison in a month or so when the area is complete!

The above photo does show that what we will hopefully receive when the area opens opens will be SN improvement of that park area.

Whilst there's a bit of contrast at the mo from the bright coloured building FFS and run down amity ones, it certainly adds more life to what's been a bit of a dead/lifeless area of the park since pirates closed.

Angry birds land does look like it'll be quite nice when finished, obviously nothing spectacular plus it's a difficult area of the park to add much or enhance due to its complex layout (plus there's no way of those buildings being removed/rebuilt on Merlins watch at least) but it'll be a nice area which will appeal to most target groups.

Angry birds land beats LEGOLAND's investments this year any way.

I wasn't planning on doing any form of direct comparisons until the area officially opens, but may as well have a look at this for the time being:

246542_10200902317383248_119735925_n.jpg

Amity Drop n Shop and nearby area last year.

10154227_10154096670050624_1415662315469

Nearby area of Amity Drop n Shop (soon to be an Angry Birds shop of course). Photo from TPM.

Also, we've got a bit of colour and something a bit brighter and happier in the park. Many people are quick to say 'Thorpe have too many gloomy / dark themes'. They've now got a more upbeat theme about it, which is a good thing in my books. Yeah, maybe it is a bit too colourful, but maybe once the area if finished, the scheme will work well with the theming.

It'll be interesting to do another comparison in a month or so when the area is complete!

It's funny you say that as I think Thorpe only has two dark/gloomy themed rides in total. Tidal Wave is very much tounge in cheek for example (takes guts too make comedy out of a natural disaster), Inferno always struck me as quite upbeat too and Stealth is one of the cheeriest major roller coasters in the country. Hell, Storm Surge is the best joke in years! Alton = dark dark dark.

Very true actually!

I think I was more trying to get at the point there's very few rides which have an actual 'upbeat' theme; there's more rides that are themed to destruction / lost worlds / disasters and so forth.

There's the likes of Swarm, Saw, Lost City (which in itself doesn't have much theming really, but is themed around an old city that was once lost and is not somewhat destroyed, etc.), Amity Cove (humour-filled and excellently done-so, yes, it's still got the look of something destroyed. Can't really categorically say 'It's got an upbeat theme' or 'It's got a destroyed theme' since it intertwines both beautifully) all having more destructive themes in the background, as well as some rides which just don't have a theme whatsoever. I just think the idea of there being an actual area which is fun, a bit childish and hopefully has a bit of humour involved will be welcome to the park. I reckon that the area will give a different feel than anywhere else in the park.