Angry Birds Land

Marc

• 1 month later...

P1020708.JPG

From the latest TPM update

That looks really, really awful...

Don't get me started on the polka dot building either...

Merlin's obsession with simple colour palettes is getting annoying now... Very much pandering to the lowest common denominator this addition (in a similar way to CBeebies Land, but that is aimed at 3 year olds who need to be turned towards bright colours and such)...

Like you said in the CBeebies land topic, its not finished...

I'm sure once Angry Birds theming has been added the buildings should start to look much better. They have started although its only one bit so far on the shop although I expect the majority will happen when the area is closed of in the last few weeks before it opens.

P1020712.JPG

I can see the concern about the colour scheme, and I remain a bit unsure about it all myself. However, at this stage, I can't think of any sort of interesting colour scheme they could use that would fit perfectly with Angry Birds and the surrounding area. Waiting till it's open before making any real judgements.

I do hope we see some 3D models other than the entrance bits as well though; that's one of the minimum things I was expecting from the area!

I still don't understand why they're dragging Detonator into this 'land', if anything it should've been Rumba Rapids, that's screaming out for a retheme and some TLC, plus it's more of a family ride than Detty IMO. Also, the attractions seem to be a bit too spaced out, I saw what looked like the foundations for the dodgems the other week and it seemed to be more or less in Amity :L. But I guess I shan't judge until it's finished.

Have they got to KFC yet? That was my favourite part of Amity :(. Besides, if they completely overhaul the Amity buildings so that they all become a load of gaudy, overly bright houses, won't the whole Amity theme be lost, besides from Tidal Wave and Stealth (all though not many people realise it's meant to be a part of amity for some reason)?

Have they got to KFC yet? That was my favourite part of Amity :(. Besides, if they completely overhaul the Amity buildings so that they all become a load of gaudy, overly bright houses, won't the whole Amity theme be lost, besides from Tidal Wave and Stealth (all though not many people realise it's meant to be a part of amity for some reason)?

Stealth seems to have been cut off from Amity Cove now, which is stupid. It was the area of the park that worked best IMO.

Crap. They've replaced well themed buildings that had small touches to generic painted colour ones.

I hate this investment.

Well it's clearly not finished yet. They've applied the base colour and "small touches" will be added gradually over the next few weeks.

Crap. They've replaced well themed buildings that had small touches to generic painted colour ones.

I hate this investment.

Disagree with this - the pirates theming whilst looked nice was totally out of place and made no sense atall since pirates 4d was replaced.

And stealth half of amity has always been cut off from the tidal half, they don't even share the same music I don't think this will effect that much.

But I can see it seriously interfering with and possibly destroying the atmosphere and general theme of Amity nonetheless.

None of Amity Cove will be destroyed, they are not going that far round to KFC etc.

I can see 'Stealth's side of Amity Cove' being pushed more as 'Amity Speedway' in the future. That way, it keeps with the Amity and American idea they've already got, without causing confusion. I've said this before I'm sure, but did a racing speedway theme really fit in with a 1960s (ish) fishing village being flooded? Not really. Also, apart from the less-than-obvious 'Amity Fish and Chips' (which is now called Peckish), the short walk between Tidal Wave and Stealth never really felt a part of Amity Cove in the first place; it felt like you were going into a big of a dead zone.

The creation of Angry Birds Land gives Detonator some definition in an area - it never fit into Calypso Quay, and since P4D went, it has had no context to fit in. The same goes for the disused 4D cinema, and a space which was being used for some games that were rarely used by guests really. (Though, where they've moved some of the games looks hideous to be honest).

The only major thematic disaster we have at the moment is the Teacups, which don't fit into any of the surrounding areas. If only they hadn't renewed the Tetley sponsorship last summer, then that could have gone nicely into Angry Birds Land.

The creation of Angry Birds Land gives Detonator some definition in an area - it never fit into Calypso Quay, and since P4D went, it has had no context to fit in. The same goes for the disused 4D cinema, and a space which was being used for some games that were rarely used by guests really. (Though, where they've moved some of the games looks hideous to be honest).

Whilst I agree it'll bring Detonator into the limelight, I always associated it with Inferno, I never even associated either of them with Calypso Quay anyway, I just saw them as two attractions which went hand in hand, so to speak. So I feel it could leave Inferno and it's area seeming a bit- I can't actually think of the word- empty? Although it won't physically be moved, the retheme of Detty in itself could leave Inferno seeming a bit isolated. However, it depends how much effort Thorpe put into this 'retheme'.

I disagree, I thought it fitted in with Inferno well.

It most certainly doesn't fit into a kids area based on the fact that it's an extreme thrill ride!

Whilst I agree it'll bring Detonator into the limelight, I always associated it with Inferno, I never even associated either of them with Calypso Quay anyway, I just saw them as two attractions which went hand in hand, so to speak. So I feel it could leave Inferno and it's area seeming a bit- I can't actually think of the word- empty? Although it won't physically be moved, the retheme of Detty in itself could leave Inferno seeming a bit isolated. However, it depends how much effort Thorpe put into this 'retheme'.

I guess the reason people associate Inferno and Detonator with one another is because of their proximity and similar colour schemes. However, thematically, what does Detonator have to do with a tropical volcano? Detonator was clearly meant to loosely fit in with Pirates 4D, because of the canons, canon marks on nearby buildings, etc., vaguely being related to pirate ships with canons.

Putting it in Angry Birds Land gives it a chance to work with a new theme, however loosely. It can easily be given an idea about one of the birds from the game (is it the white bird that has the special ability of dropping eggs? Could tie in loosely with that. Or the black bird, what with the 'Bombs Away' on the end). It's nothing concrete, but it's something.

As for Inferno, that will have Rumba Rapids, which both - in theory - should fit in with a tropical theme. Here's hoping that Rumba gets lots of TLC soon!

It most certainly doesn't fit into a kids area based on the fact that it's an extreme thrill ride!

I think I've said this earlier in the thread, but, like it or not... Angry Birds Land is a family area though!

Regardless of the game's original target audience, it's something everyone plays and enjoys. It's a family game. And Thorpe are using it to their advantage and creating a family area. No doubt, the 4D film will be more orientated towards the kids, the dodgems as a family ride, and Detonator as a thrill ride (which even the kids can do from the age of about 8 or 9; the sort of age the park are appealing to a lot more recently). It makes for the almost-perfect family area in my eyes, in theory. If the Teacups could have been included, it would have been even better.

The only thing detonator and inferno ever had in common was they are both red. Detonator has/had limited pirates theming to fit in with pirates 4d

Not long ago people were crying out for themed lands - ok Angry birds may not be the first choice but it's the first themed land we have had at the park in years which can only be a good thing?

The hydration stations are showing a Dr.Pepper logo, I hope this means you will be able to fill up the quencher (unlimited refills deal) with Dr.Pepper! Although it might just mean they're selling it, tbf I can't ever remember being able to buy DP from a vendor, always thought it was weird DP wasn't part of the unlimited refills considering Tidal Wave is sponsored by DP

That building is basically my issue here (ironically, the nicely coloured normal brick building next door is fine)...

What semblence does it have thematically? Why is every building being painted a different colour?

If the 'little details' are literally gonna be blocks painted onto the sides of these buildings, where has the thought of this project gone? People moan about CBeebies Land being soul-less (which to those who experienced Towers in the 90s heyday of Storybookland are probably right), yet this looks a lot, lot worse than that... Granted the area was incredibly sterile and dull anyway (like most of Thorpe's middling parts) but 'little details' to me do not consist of randomly painting blocks on random buildings...

The whole project here smacks of a desperate pull into the family market with a IP that is well-known, and what we've seen so far proves that... Balamory style buildings and blocks painted onto them, certainly the epitome of world class theme parking... Disney's Snow White cred looks like crap compared to this...