Angry Birds Land

Marc

A dodgems isn't a massive ride. It doesn't need to be approved months or even years before opening. It won't have any trouble getting through planning permission (unless the building is like 200ft tall and has flashing lights on top whilst pumping out 200db of music). If they put it in this or next week it will easily be approved by beginning of March. I doubt it takes 2 months to install a dodgems. And the wording of the earlier planning document stating that it has been submitted separately as part of a "reserved matters application." The council will have the application somewhere or in talks, they have the applications about 2 weeks longer than we see them being shown as "registered."

Basically, don't panic. It is almost certainly going on the games zone (which I believe a few of the games like the goal scorer are on a temporary planning approval so will need to go or be reapplied for soon I believe).

Plans are online - http://planning.runnymede.gov.uk/Northgate/PlanningExplorer/Generic/StdDetails.aspx?PT=Planning%20Applications%20On-Line&TYPE=PL/PlanningPK.xml&PARAM0=186762&XSLT=/Northgate/PlanningExplorer/SiteFiles/Skins/Runnymede_AA/xslt/PL/PLDetails.xslt&FT=Planning%20Application%20Details&PUBLIC=Y&XMLSIDE=/Northgate/PlanningExplorer/SiteFiles/Skins/Runnymede_AA/Menus/PL.xml&DAURI=PLANNING (Fingers crossed the link works, otherwise just go to http://planning.runnymede.gov.uk/Northgate/PlanningExplorer/GeneralSearch.aspx and type in 'Thorpe Park' as the address, it's the 6th one down).

So, the dodgems replace the games area, with a new set of Loony Ladders and Battle Beam being placed in the area. The area has three entrances: one just past Tidal Wave's entrance, one just past Stealth's diner, and the other by the toilets near Inferno. The exit of the cinema will have some foilage planted I think, meaning that you don't exit the cinema and go back into Amity Cove, but go back to Angry Birds Land.

Other things I've noticed:

-Total value of project: £2.3 million. See here - http://62.254.5.209/AnitePublicDocs/00141837.pdf

-The entrances to the areas will be about 7.5m tall.

-In the application, Thorpe say that the "brand will not be released before launch". I wonder why the park changed their minds?

-The dodgems will have a themed structure, with what looks to be the expected blocks and such, and will be a maximum of 5m tall.

-There will be a queue line for the film, which will involve a modification of the old batching area.

All looks pretty standard. For an area of that size, £2.3 million is a reasonable amount I guess. Will be interesting to see the quality of the theming and other things. Also, as there seems to be very little in the way of construction outside the on the route between Detonator and Inferno, I wonder if that route will be kept open, and closed closer to the time to add on final touches?

After looking at the plans, and seeing exactly the area we're seeing spruced up, I think it's going to be a good investment. That whole area had very little life to it, so it's nice to see it getting attention. And, if people hate the idea, it's only really added attractions, so it's not going to affect the park in other way (you could pretty much spend an entire day at the park and only really walk down a path of the area and ignore all the Angry Birds stuff if you so wished). So I remain interested and hopeful!

Also, on the first plan, there's a couple of other areas that are marked in red, mainly around Tidal Wave and Flying Fish. Usually areas marked in red are to be developed, so I wonder if there'll be other a couple of touch ups over there? Also, find it weird that - despite Swarm is shown on the plan - Storm Surge is not, and Saw Alive is on the car park side of the lake! :P

EDIT: From this document here: http://62.254.5.209/AnitePublicDocs/00141833.pdf , it looks like Detonator will be kept with the same name, and the dodgems will be called 'Piggy Egg Dash'.

Edited by JoshC.

We are essentially getting two undercover attractions here, which is great as that is what Thorpe was lacking.

The only thing I don't like about this investment is messing about with Detonator (and the location in general, splitting Amity Cove in half), aside from that it should be good for families. "Piggy egg bash" though? Really!

Of course that opinion will change if it messes up Amity Cove in general!

This sounds promising.

Considering the area will take place within a slightly forgotten area of the park (Bar Detonator), this should be a great plan and addition to the park, plus keeping the cinema's exit within the land makes a lot of sense as it means the area won't splash as much next to Amity and Calypso.

Hopefully the 2 million will not just get us a decent set of Dodgems (and maybe lots of games) but will achieve to gain the area a reasonable amount of theming in the area, that fits within the setting.

• 3 weeks later...