Angry Birds Land

Marc

My none enthusiast friend asked me today 'Is it true that Thorpe Park are getting an Angry Birds land?' I turned to her and said, yes, to which she just burst out laughing saying she has an Angry Birds Activity Park down the road from her (Sundown Adventure Land) so why on earth will she travel down to Thorpe Park to experience the same thing... I think that says it all.
The truth is Thorpe doesn't have any, okay so Swarm Island, Colossus/lost city area, and small bits of the part are consistent with their themes, but on the whole it just seems to be blurred, and now they want to stick a kid brand in the middle of Amity Cove? That causing more harm than good! They're advertising three very different rides under one brand, Detonator - extreme thrilling... Dodgems - mild thrilling, 4D cinema - not so thrilling, so who are they trying to appeal too? I don't think Thorpe know themselves and are just trying to appeal to everyone at the cost of losing their identity.
The best part of this is, they're still saying they are the nations thrill capital AND a resort...
(Side note - I'm very excited for the dodgems though)

That's good for your sister. I feel like things that are well known in the enthusiast community are being ignored. Thorpe don't see themselves as a theme park for example. Themed areas was out the door a long time ago. You mention Swarm, that has it's own island and is segregated from the rest of the park, you mention Colossus which is more stylised then themed. Amity Cove hasn't been the same ever since they dropped Storm in a Teacup in it ten years ago. It was an area built around Tidal Wave and has had so much thrown at it, from awful sponsorship on Tidal Wave to the awful Storm Surge. Amity Cove no longer serves a purpose as an area built around one ride and a great theme.

What you mention about three different thrill level rides is exactly what a family area is supposed to be. Any park worth its salt knows that segregating rides into its different thrill sections doesn't work. Think Samurai next to Dragon Falls, Whale Adventure next to Wodan, Dinosaur next to Triceratops Spin.

I agree that Thorpe's target audience is confused though. The knee jerk reaction of last years poor start makes it look like decisions are just being made on the fly.

What do you think Detonator will be renamed to? Catapult?

Well, I've heard that a nest (possibly with the eggs in it) will be placed at the top of the tower. In this case, I'm gonna start placing a bet to what the theme and ride experience will be!:

If the egg's nest is gonna be at the top of the tower, then the theme might be a Bad Piggies sort of thing, where the car will be themed around the pigs' latest vehicle to get the eggs! Of course, once you reach the top, the birds start to get a little mad! The sound effects playing will consist of (say) the pigs sniggering at times, followed by the slowly oncoming sound of the birds enraging! This will probably be followed by the familiar sound of the catapult being pulled back from speakers on ground level, then the sound of a random bird (varies between rides) launching into the air, then a speaker on top of the tower will play the sound of smashing wood the moment the brake goes off for the drop!

...*pant...pant...pant*

If I'm right, stealth is just to the top left and isn't in that picture, doesn't that mean that the angry birds land completely separates up amity cove? If it were to be placed there I think it would completely ruin the 'themed lands' which for some reason I seemed to think thorpe were trying to bring back... Especially with the addition of a new 'land'?

Didn't someone say something about Pizza Hut contract running out? If they wanted to replace it with the 'merlin brand' they could move it to the Burger King in amity cove as there is another one in Canada creek? Then the Dodgems could replace Pizza Hut and wouldn't it make more distinctive lands? I'm not sure if I'm right about that I'm just trying to think about possible locations...

I wouldn't look right were Pizza Hut is because that would seperate parts of Calypso Quay. You would have nemesis, then angry birds and then Desparados which is Calypso themed. Also it would be seperated from the main bit of angry birds land.

They could put it inside where Drop and Shop is but I dont know how big that building is and what it backs onto.

If the dodgems were replacing an existing building or being situated inside a new building, wouldn't we have seen a planning application by now? Does this suggest that they will be kitting it out inside an existing building where planning permission wouldn't need to be granted? But looking at the above... I just can't see where it would go..

They will be putting in a planning application (or already have and it just hasn't been "registered" yet). They built the billboard on The Swarm before they'd actually been "granted" planning permission to have it so it depends. If it comes under what was agreed in the MTDP and the terms stated on the latest planning application that mentions the dodgems, they are only really plans to show Runnymede the building size, materials etc. They shouldn't have any problems in getting it approved as long as it is on one of the outlined spot for a flat ride and meets the dimensions they stated it wouldn't exceed. Storm Surge needed permission because it went against what was agreed in the MTDP so they had to essentially apply for that as a new ride with little link to the MTDP.

When the 4D cinema was open what were the queues like for it?? Can see them getting pretty long as it can't take many people at a time surely??

It didn't really have a queue as such, it had show times and people only went when the show was on which even then did generate a queue of people. I do wonder if they will make it into a queue for this like Ice Age

Or does it come under the MTDP location indicators? If so that's what to look at to pinpoint the area...

I'm pretty sure the MTDP is only used as a guide to show the council where rides will be. They agree maximum heights, lengths of coasters, etc and I guess the plan is that only the possible locations are used. I think it works differently to Alton's GDO whereby they can build anything that fits within what they outline (which is why Smiler's plans only really needed the Marmaliser, buildings and high points of the ride to be shown I believe).

The wording of the submitted document SCB posted in the other topic is a bit confusing though, as it says an application to waive certain conditions has been submitted and the "approach has been approved by Councillors". So who knows if we'll actually see an actual document for this? I expect we will, but it's all so hard to understand...

When the 4D cinema was open what were the queues like for it?? Can see them getting pretty long as it can't take many people at a time surely??

Pretty certain the theatre could seat up to like 500 people at a time(?), and had shows every half hour back in its hey day. Queues would normally start about 10 minutes before the show started. I guess they could create a short queue inside the fenced area outside the entrance, but it may not be necessary I guess.

Will be interesting to see how frequent the shows are..

I think there are a couple with the different games like Rio but since they only have the license for the main thing I doubt there's more than one, you bring up a good point though, I'm not sure how I would feel hearing Angry Birds Music around the place! XD Hopefully it'll just be sound effects/announcements or something.

I think the Angry Birds music will be ok tbh :) They're building a colourful, goofy land, so the music's not exactly going to be out of place.

The biggest shame is that Thorpe have always been pretty good with music, so seeing WWTP and Detonator scrapped is a shame :(

I don't really want to hear it in Tidal or Inferno's queues though.

I just hope this angry birds land doesn't divide up all of the existing lands. Thorpe seem to be wanting to get back into their themed lands but if angry birds music can be heard in other lands and the angry birds confuses the park I just can't see it working if I'm honest... I really hope this works at well. I'm looking forward to the angry birds maze on fright nights ;)

I also found this... I know it is quite irrelevant but it looks like an amazing concept idea and although themeing on no limits is generally poor, it has been executed well and I think it would go perfectly with the angry birds land at thorpe. Of course, there wouldn't be enough room unless it was on the new island and of course there is already a new inverted coaster I just though it was a nice idea that's all :)

The biggest shame is that Thorpe have always been pretty good with music, so seeing WWTP and Detonator scrapped is a shame :(

Why on earth would WWTP be scrapped? Amity will still exist.

And why to people keep saying Thorpe want to back to clear themed areas? Not something I've seen any evidence of at all. Although I do think as things were the areas blended quite nicely into one another, although they were individually not well defined they are not jarring against each other. I've got a feeling that this will be the problem with Angry Birds land, it will be fine within itself but sit very badly against its surroundings.