The Smiler Incident 02/06/2015

Ian-S

Only engineers can add and remove trains at Thorpe. Not a single operator would even know how to do it.

I don't know what you thought you saw, but you can believe whatever explanation you want to believe.

It's fair enough, I don't profess to know everything so if you guys say he was an engineer then he was, I just thought it curious he was the same guy who had been operating the ride for the hour previously and was still there at 9.30 (they took the train off around half seven).

Oddly though, it will be very interesting to find out just exactly what did happen at Alton as I think you'll find your faith that a ride operator wouldn't know how to do something is very much misplaced.

I'm not sure if this is completely true, and you probably already know this whether it is or not, but apparently what happened is the ride operator saw the empty train and did in fact stop the lift hill to remove the stalled train, however after 10-15 minutes the computer 'panicked' so to speak and restarted the lift hill.

Edited by ChessingtonSam

I'm not sure if this is completely true, and you probably already know this whether it is or not, but apparently what happened is the ride operator saw the empty train and did in fact stop the lift hill to remove the stalled train, however after 10-15 minutes the computer 'panicked' so to speak and restarted the lift hill.

Hmm, I thought that was a statement from the park, I have no idea.

Just to reiterate. No. Nothing like this.

The park is struggling without Smiler too. Lots of people to this day still ask if it's open and will probably be putting off trips till it is again. It's a huge draw for Towers, remember how dead April 2013 was as it wasn't opening till May? Opening it will cause press field day. Whenever, and it won't die down quickly. I doubt it'll be over by next year. It's going to be a slow process for Towers. They need to be careful when they open it, if or more likely when it breaks down what will the press do? "Park opens dangerous ride for it to break with guests on again" etc. There's no easy time to open it, maybe just potentially worse. If they want it for Scarefest which I'm sure they do, they'll want it running a while before hand.

• Marc unpinned this topic