Derren Brown's Ghost Train: Rise of the Demon

Marc

Well it's understandable considering the scale of this project, and The Smiler had its issues - in fact I quite like it as you have those 2 months were the park is near to dead.

In regards to if it will open on time, I am very optimistic seeing as it's been confirmed the attraction has been testing in some way. :)

The one thing I don't understand tho is when did it become a merlin trend to open rides 2 months into the season =/. It seems to be a new and reoccurring theme.

It's not a Merlin trend, parks across the world are opening their rides later in the season.

The one thing I don't understand tho is when did it become a merlin trend to open rides 2 months into the season =/. It seems to be a new and reoccurring theme.

As Ryan says, this isn't something exclusive to Merlin.  For recent examples at major parks, look at Baron's July opening last year at Efteling and Taron at Phantasialand (with it's still unknown opening date).  Even parks like Plopsaland and Hansa have done it, so it really isn't uncommon.

I can see the appeal, as it means that there's less pressure to finish off an attraction during the winter months, where weather can create delays in the construction schedule.  At the same time, this doesn't really explain the likes of ABL, IAC or Galactica, for example, all of which didn't open with the rest of the park (though I guess if you look at them on a case-by-case basis, they all have their reasons).  

It also means there's good opportunities for on park advertising, encouraging return visits and building up into the busiest time of the season. 

The one thing I don't understand tho is when did it become a merlin trend to open rides 2 months into the season =/. It seems to be a new and reoccurring theme.

In addition, parks will almost get a surge in customers when their new attraction opens. For example, Thorpe Park would have obviously received customers upon opening and now they will have another surge when DBGT opens. Also, the period when the park is open aids the hype as the park is advertised through social media more (simply by people on park). This gets more people aware of the park and therefore their new attraction.

So, people will be more aware or Derren Brown's ghost train because they may be aware that it it the theme park season. Therefore, it seems more relevant and will provide an increase in customers.

Well it's impossible to tell how ready it is, but with two weeks to go wouldn't they be well into the testing stages by now?

If it was likely to open late then I don't think it is a very good idea for them to be telling people this:

DBGT will be opening on May 6. Keep an eye on our social channels as we reveal more secrets...

I think knowing Thorpe, there's more chance of it being unavailable the week AFTER opening, following it's first technical glitch. They've had yonks on this and I would be suprised if it was delayed.

Hopefully marketing will step up, so we can move forward from this and 12p ticket chat, I mean has there been any real sign of delay anyway?

Because Thorpe run all these 'first to ride!' competitions, there's no hope of soft openings really

To be fair, I don't think they've said "first to ride" in the minds wanted competition, but instead to just attend an exclusive VIP / press night? So they could in theory do soft openings (or they would like to call it) without making the competition seem pointless.

That's not to say I think there will be soft openings, but I don't think it should be ruled out.

Today at work I got the chance to use the Vive. This ride will be 10/10 for immersion with that piece of kit. However I don't think it will be through a walking section as the wires are a very large tripping hazard.

I have a feeling we're gonna be sitting on a train wearing them, and there'll be effects hidden in the seats and stuff happening around us in real life for added effect..

also, does anyone know if the vive headsets allow for augumented reality or will it just be virtual reality where we can only see what's going on in the headset?

Don't know if this has been mentioned but there's been advertisements for The Ghost Train with The Sun 'Super Saturdays'.

The publicity has definitely stepped up in the last week!

I saw the advert on TV yesterday, the way it was worded made it sound like the ride is open now!

• JoshC. unpinned this topic
  • JoshC. pinned this topic