Colossus

Adam J

Thorpe assured me last year they were looking after Colossus...

Whilst this of course may be the yammerings of a cynical person, of course a place of business would assure potential customers/clients that they will be doing something... And it probably won't get done come the end of it...

There is a birds nest in the cobra roll! :lol:

Depends on the type of bird and the location as to whether Thorpe can do anything about it...

Apologies if it's already been mentioned but out of curiosity; what's happened to the second train on Colossus? Not sure if I'm imagining it but it doesn't appear to be in the shed (or if it is they've hidden it well). The queue hit 75 minutes on Saturday so it'd surprise me if they voluntarily let it run up a 75 minute queue if there was a second train available. Is it just a case of it not being ready yet?

Apologies if it's already been mentioned but out of curiosity; what's happened to the second train on Colossus? Not sure if I'm imagining it but it doesn't appear to be in the shed (or if it is they've hidden it well). The queue hit 75 minutes on Saturday so it'd surprise me if they voluntarily let it run up a 75 minute queue if there was a second train available. Is it just a case of it not being ready yet?

It's THORPE PARK....... are you really expecting them not to waste your time ;)

It's either laziness, cost cutting or not being ready despite it being the end of March.

Depends on the type of bird and the location as to whether Thorpe can do anything about it...

Even if the breed is under some sort of protection, surely the safety of the public supersedes that of a bird? Whilst something is highly unlikely to happen, considering the risks to do with theme parks, it's better to be safe than sorry.

It's either laziness, cost cutting or not being ready despite it being the end of March.

I don't think it's ready, as every other coaster has had a second train on at some point this season except Colossus. If it was ready to use, I'm pretty sure it would be on if there was a 75 mins que and they managed to have 2 trains on rides when there is a walk on que...

Even if the breed is under some sort of protection, surely the safety of the public supersedes that of a bird? Whilst something is highly unlikely to happen, considering the risks to do with theme parks, it's better to be safe than sorry.

As I said, depends on the location of the nest as well, as no-one's actually said where in the Cobra Roll it is (could be in a support that goes onto the pathway as an example)...

As I said, depends on the location of the nest as well, as no-one's actually said where in the Cobra Roll it is (could be in a support that goes onto the pathway as an example)...

It's actually in the track. I noticed it when we were on the ride, then looked when we were off it and realised that it was a bird's nest!

PR stunt for Angry Birds maybe? ;)

Apologies Benin I should have been clearer that I knew it was in a potentially dangerous position as opposed to somewhere away from track. At the end of the day, whatever birds nest it is, most birds will hardly stay put with the noise Colossus makes in the cobra roll. All it takes is one bird to either react and fly the wrong direction into a train or be ballsy and think it can take on an oncoming train and we could end up with a train loaded with guests valleyed in the cobra roll.

I think a major point to highlight here is that it is within the track spine, not jammed in the track where the train is literally going over it. If a bird was to fly out of it, from where it is positioned; it would need to fly upward through the track to be an issue, and it would be killed by the train before it hit a person. And finally, it doesn't even have a bird living in it from what anybody seems to have seen...

I don't understand the mentality of 'everyone's lucky everything opened on time for the start of the season'.

I obviously don't know what the problem was or why it was so close to not opening, but it's incredibly reasonable for someone paying £40 to enter the park, for all the rides to be ready to open when the season starts.

I don't understand the mentality of 'everyone's lucky everything opened on time for the start of the season'.

I obviously don't know what the problem was or why it was so close to not opening, but it's incredibly reasonable for someone paying £40 to enter the park, for all the rides to be ready to open when the season starts.

I do agree. The problem is, we want Thorpe Park to be striving to be as world-class as the parks Merlin think they're competing with. Unfortunately Merlin don't give them the same world-class budget the others do, and that's where pretty much all problems are sourced from.

It's hardly anything to do with my mentality.

I do agree. The problem is, we want Thorpe Park to be striving to be as world-class as the parks Merlin think they're competing with. Unfortunately Merlin don't give them the same world-class budget the others do, and that's where pretty much all problems are sourced from.

Sorry Dan, I don't mean it personally but I disagree with your statement.

Merlin strive to be 'as good as Disney' but Disney is popular on the basis of it being Disney with it's rides and shows etc.

From a rides point of view, if you compare it to Disney we're talking about theme parks that feature numerous rides that cost a fair bit to build, and in return cost a fair bit in maintenance costs for wheels and things (referring to things like the B&Ms which will have expensive wheels) - unlike Disney where most of what they have are budget rides, made either in-house or by Vekoma. Granted they now have a few Intamin's but nothing on the same kind of cost and maintenance levels that Merlin have to comprehend with.

The only thing I personally see as comparable to Merlin at present would be Six Flags; and I think they have a pretty level playing field for maintenance and such like. So, maybe their budgets are not huge and maybe not invested in the right way; but ride maintenance will cost a fortune for the rides places like Thorpe have; in comparison to Disney.

From a rides point of view, if you compare it to Disney we're talking about theme parks that feature numerous rides that cost a fair bit to build, and in return cost a fair bit in maintenance costs for wheels and things (referring to things like the B&Ms which will have expensive wheels) - unlike Disney where most of what they have are budget rides, made either in-house or by Vekoma. Granted they now have a few Intamin's but nothing on the same kind of cost and maintenance levels that Merlin have to comprehend with.

You're forgetting that we can compare rides almost like for like. One Colossus ride vs Thunder Mountain which has something like 6 trains. They'll have very comparable maintenance costs (and I expect Disney has higher costs).

The difference between disney and merlin is that disney have massive maintenance budgets and almost anything is acceptable, Merlin you have to capex it and therefore less is likely to be permitted. So, it is merlin really.

Disney also have costs on repairs to theming/other bits associated with the ride...

Yeah the ride system is cheaper, but then they tend to go quite a bit out on everything else, so as said, the costs of maintaining a ride are probably just as much if not more with every component considered...

Plus they repaint rides...

Yeah I completely overlooked things like that, not gonna lie.

In my head I was thinking more along the lines of things like Crush's Coaster which is a cheap ride which is predominantly in pitch black. I tend to forget about the mainstream Disney park at California and Paris alike due to never spending much time in them.

Having visited DLP back in January though, whilst I agree that the overall cost of the park is more (now I've thought about it) I'd have to say in places the park is in much despair. Space Mountain at DLP being a prime example with chunks of it's pyramid missing and the cannon having been broken for well over a year.

Crush still has to deal with the problem of year round operation (though pretty short days by Disney standards).

The maintenance of Paris leaves a lot be desired but in the case of the cannon I think that's more a case of bad design. It is refurbed every couple of years and breaks again shortly after. A pity since the recoil and smoke effects make all the difference.