Samurai

Phill

It has been having problems parking FOR YEARS. Why for the love of everyone have they not sorted it by now!? It just seems mad that last season they took the thing mostly/completely apart and it still didn't fix it!

New model please. If Lightwater Valley can run one properly, Thorpe can find a way.

It has been having problems parking FOR YEARS. Why for the love of everyone have they not sorted it by now!? It just seems mad that last season they took the thing mostly/completely apart and it still didn't fix it!

New model please. If Lightwater Valley can run one properly, Thorpe can find a way.

As much as I would also like them to replace Samurai, a few points:

1. Whirlwind at Lightwater is only into it's third season so will of course be running better (like chessington where it was relatively new)

2. Samurai is programmed to lower with the pods in the same position they started in, whereas most other topscans, including Whirlwind do not have this programmed into the ride and will lower in any position therefore not requiring it to be positioned perfectly before lowering.

3. I doubt Whirlwind gets through as many cycles as Samurai in a single day as Lightwater Valley is much quieter compared to Thorpe Park.

Does anyone else feel that Samurai is just out of place now? With the trees gone it just seems like a small ride stuck next to saw. having moved around so much its bound to be a bit warn out by now and prone to breaking and so I can easily see this being it last season. Space perhaps for another saw addition?

Does anyone else feel that Samurai is just out of place now? With the trees gone it just seems like a small ride stuck next to saw. having moved around so much its bound to be a bit warn out by now and prone to breaking and so I can easily see this being it last season. Space perhaps for another saw addition?

It does look quite bare around the saw area to be honest. The trees were removed for a reason and that had to be done. I do have to say that samurai looks out of place as it does not fit in with the saw theme and it seems like its not in a land. I don't want a topscan going from thorpe altogether however if they could get a zierer starshape or something into the park then I would be ok!

Any updates on how samurai is currently doing?

It does look quite bare around the saw area to be honest. The trees were removed for a reason and that had to be done. I do have to say that samurai looks out of place as it does not fit in with the saw theme and it seems like its not in a land. I don't want a topscan going from thorpe altogether however if they could get a zierer starshape or something into the park then I would be ok!

Any updates on how samurai is currently doing?

Tbh, I don't think Thorpe will ever get a Star shape due to how large they are and that top scans deliver a similar experience as well but are yet smaller in terms of space. I would much rather Thorpe installed a new model top scan. In terms of fitting in better, the replacement could be a different colour (brown and other colours?) and some extra theming to make up for the trees (which is something unlikely to happen).

As much as you guys say its not good for thorpe to bring a new Topscan I think it's an excellent idea...

Lets take samurai at lagoon Utah. It has been going for 13 years now and still runs amazing settings:

If samurai at lagoon can run this well after 13 YEARS then I think a new Topscan At thorpe could be running for at least 13 years on a good settings...

And like my post about Whirlwind a few posts up, that particular topscan is not programmed as sophisticatedly as Thorpe's as it does not lower pods in the same position as it started in, So I guess it won't give the zeroing problems.

Does anyone know if there even are any other topscans other than Thorpe's Samurai that lower the ride with the pods in the same position?

It is clearly to do with batching, it does make sense to have them lining up so people know where to go even if it now proving to more trouble than it is worth.

Worth noting it is not running on crappy settings because of the zeroing problem, it is run on crappy settings because it has made a good effort of tearing itself apart over the years. The zeroning thing is a separate issue caused by the sensors being every bit as knackered as the ride itself and nothing to do with how fast it runs now.

Samurai was open after about 11 today. It has been adjusted so that the pods no longer park in the same place they started. Still has major problems zero-ing, but hey I suppose at least it's open...

YEY :) just in time for when I visit tomorrow. I thought this was the best way to go as now the ride can take less time to park even if you end up in a different place to where you started!

• 1 month later...

Not sure if anyone else has noticed this, and this may just be for maintenance, but does anyone else think it's a bit weird Samurai looks like it's in half-cycle yet its in its lowered position for onload/offload? I.e. were the ride to continue rotating on its main axis, it would collide with the ground/operating booth. Given the problems with zero-ing last year, is it possible this isn't just for maintenance and the ride is set to endure a number of weeks downtime again?

Like I said earlier, this is the maintenance position for all top spins. This allows for easy access to the centre motors, gearboxes and loads of other things including what was also described by Rich earlier, as the hydraulic oil pipes. Most likely, it was just being changed/filtered, or maybe its doing an Enterprise and having a hydraulic leak :P