Samurai

Phill

• 3 weeks later...

Samurai had by far the most intense setting I have ever experience to date, today. the ride zero'd very well, and the ride through us around like a rag doll, peaj said it reminded him of what it was like when it was alot younger which is cool.

Samurai had by far the most intense setting I have ever experience to date, today. the ride zero'd very well, and the ride through us around like a rag doll, peaj said it reminded him of what it was like when it was alot younger which is cool.

The memory cheats. :ph34r:

• 1 month later...

Didn't actually bother with samurai yesterday. It was literally on the worst setting ever despite only a 30 minute queue. It seemed to be running much slower than usual. It started of with a bit of faffing about doing nothing really and then it went around once(spinning) left and once(spinning) right. It then stopped at the top and then came down and lowered. Really not sure why anyway was queueing for this setting as it looked awful! It was the flat ride with the smallest queue in the park which is unusual for samurai...

• 3 weeks later...

It has obviously faced major problems but back in 2011 it was a real speed machine and from 2005-2011 at thorpe it was probably one of the best Topscan rides in the UK:

It really really wasn't! It has got a lot worse since then, but that was from a pretty low starting point. It has never been able to be run properly at Thorpe because of age and knackeredness sadly. Although that video must have been shot on a very good day it hasn't never run like that consistently and even that isn't particularly spectacular.

It really really wasn't! It has got a lot worse since then, but that was from a pretty low starting point. It has never been able to be run properly at Thorpe because of age and knackeredness sadly. Although that video must have been shot on a very good day it hasn't never run like that consistently and even that isn't particularly spectacular.

I really hope samurai is replaced with a newer Topscan, so we can have the proper thrill of a Topscan at thorpe park. People who haven't ridden a full speed Topscan before will be shocked at how much faster they are than samurai. I rode xtreme rieger at it was one of the most intense experiences in my life(apart from rock rage!). If thorpe could run it nearly as fast as this(as fast as chessington ran samurai) it would be amazing! I'm hoping for a new Topscan in samurai's place but samurai has always been breaking down and I think merlin will stay away from topscans from now on...

how do people know what setting it is :/ that confuses me

All the ride team know, as when a new op comes into the control box he/she will change the setting. We did ask for the best setting but the ride team told us it was on number 7 or something and cannot be changed until new op comes as it takes a whole to change. Thats what the ride team told me anyway, however when it's being run on manual the op can make it go which ever way he/she wants.

I never rode Samurai when it was at Chessington but it definitely looked a lot more intense. I was only brave enough to go on Samurai this year after swerving it for ages (I was actually dragged onto it) - went on it yesterday for just the 7th time but to me it felt a tad more intense than my previous rides. Although saying that, last Sunday when it was windy it felt a bit rough. But I am a complete wuss so anything that spins is intense for me!

All the ride team know, as when a new op comes into the control box he/she will change the setting. We did ask for the best setting but the ride team told us it was on number 7 or something and cannot be changed until new op comes as it takes a whole to change. Thats what the ride team told me anyway, however when it's being run on manual the op can make it go which ever way he/she wants.

That sounds very much like a way to get you to stop asking!

As far as I know they just start it on the setting they want to use each time they start the ride, it takes no work or time. The settings themselves are programmed by the engineers using the manual controls at an intensity they see fit, which isn't very intense because the engineers don't want to have to fix the ride! The manual op is not available on Samurai as far as I know. Anyone who has worked on it able to confirm?