Chessington General Discussion

Ash

• 2 weeks later...

The opening image is a composite so does not reflect real life, I know that, but it should at least be made out of things which do exist. I refer, of course, to Falls and its non-existent drop surrounds surrounds.

Chessington - please stop pretending you haven't ruined things. If you are ashamed of what you have become please fix it, rather than pretend it hasn't happened. Thanks!

(If it turns out they have fixed up falls this year I take it back. They haven't though, have they?)

The opening image is a composite so does not reflect real life, I know that, but it should at least be made out of things which do exist. I refer, of course, to Falls and its non-existent drop surrounds surrounds.

Chessington - please stop pretending you haven't ruined things. If you are ashamed of what you have become please fix it, rather than pretend it hasn't happened. Thanks!

(If it turns out they have fixed up falls this year I take it back. They haven't though, have they?)

I'm surprised they haven't put 5th Dimension into the composite.

I know those paintings are from the preshow in The Mystery of Hocus Pocus Hall...but I'm beginning to get the vibe that if Tomb Blaster is going to be revamped in the forseeable future, it could be that Sir Arthur may be making an appearance! (Might be just another Terror Tomb twist...just without Abdab and his death - considering Sir Arthur obviously made it out of the tomb alive with the emerald in TMoHPH)

EDIT: Reading between the lines of what I've just written, I think I may have the beginnings of a great idea for Tomb's revamp! :o

The team behind the concept for Mystery of Hocus Pocus are no longer at Chessington unfortunately, so a Tomb revamp is now unlikely to feature those characters.

Interestingly there was a similar 'good' character planned for Tomb in 94, alongside a gang of tomb robbers. This was revised when the ride was made more horror-based and became the Terror Tomb plan that was eventually built, and the characters reduced to just the scoundrel Abdab. Ooh, secrets from the past! I should keep quiet. ;)

Lesson 1 - Don't let your children climb on fences...

Lesson 2 - Don't let your park fall into a state of disrepair and have this happen on a regular basis with theming falling apart and injuring people...

Both parties at fault, but it is Chessie's property and responsibility... Indeed, it might mean Merlin actually invest in looking after things post opening rather than leaving things alone...

Haven't read into it loads, but that doesn't read like the kid was climbing the fence, more that they went through it as it was rotten?

Obviously the sensible response to this is PRISON BARS EVERYWHERE, rather than reasonable maintainance of a perfectly acceptable existing structure which hadn't hurt anyone over the many years it was properly looked after.

It says that staff had to walk the route every day, I wonder if they even knew they were supposed to be looking for structural integrity and not just picking up crisp packets?

Indeed, it might mean Merlin actually invest in looking after things post opening rather than leaving things alone...

In theory yes. But this incident was two years ago and there has already been a decided response - it resulted in demolition, shortcuts and no risks being taken at all, and it hasn't finished yet.

But at least there were significant steps in the right direction as well, thanks to a number of good people out there.

It's a bit strange this news story really, as a lot has changed within the park and its operations since then. So it's unfortunate that a lot of people are probably now thinking the park is unsafe, systematically failing to record its H&S procedures, and the rest, when its now probably 'safer' than ever.

I think the most surprising thing in that photo is that is shows Chessington actually do try and maintain their rides.

Who knew?

They are just melting that bit down to make some more queue line prison bars.

I'm surprised the usually sensible people a Chessington Buzz put up that daft 'the end' post. Really, this is just normal maintenance. 

It would be good if they could just paint the supports on the first drop and overbank turn, seeing as they are the first impression of the park if you use that entrance.  I expect that it's just track replacement, which is perfectly normal on coasters - the Facebook post did make me laugh  :lol:

Gotta get those site hits <3

And Bill, yes they have changed all the fencing, AFTER the incident... Reactive, not proactive actions, lets not pretend Chessie were gonna add those fences and it was coincidence they added them after the incident...

Not like the park has ever had other parts of it falling apart and harming guests (though of course, not too the same degree as Tomb)...