Ash

General Discussion

still doesn't beat the amazing Heroes Wanted marketing at legoland

This says it all!

Yeah Chessington in the 90s was a big hit with the public, with fans, with everyone. It was the park's best era in many ways and the current management /Merlin could learn a lot from it if they dropped their corporate preconception.

Bear in mind Merlin's resort theme parks overall make a loss (even with the addition of hotels), while Tussauds' parks were very successful, that even on the hard-nosed business side the 90s were the best period for it. Chessington ought to be less proud of their falling apart, bland Zufari and cheapo repaints of old rides and learn a thing about the success of their past.

Still we're not in the nadir, that was 2006-7, but it's tacky and extremely poor value for money now, in my opinion.

the Goblins had made off with the 3D specs so we just had to walk through without any of the effects.

Literally a joke that they have run out of glasses stock.

The removal of the glasses in Hocus Pocus is borderline hilarious..

Like its not hard to get hold of 3D glasses right? So the 3D element being missing is just borderline depressing..

Well I guess the crumbling demise of attractions is a common theme at Chessington.. So it was only a matter of time.

As far as I'm aware there are H/V polarised (IMAX), Circularly Polarised (Real D), Differential Colour (Dolby Cinema), alternative shutter (NVIDIA) plus the red/blue 3D glasses. Get the right type and they'll work. Been ages since I went into Hocus Pocus so I can't remember what type they used. Pretty shoddy though.

Visited the park for the Winter Tail event (Christmas treat for my baby brother - wouldn't dream of thinking of going if he wasn't Gruffalo-obsessed for the record).

Perhaps unsurprisingly, it's not the best event.  The ride line up of Gruffalo, Adventure Tree, Tiny Truckers, Treetop Hoppers, Hocus Pocus and Amazu hardly sets the world on fire.  All the Christmas stuff requires tickets, even though it's all included for free - seems very faffy.  I guess it's to stop people going in multiple timrs, but frankly for the cost (£20 for AP holders, £25 without), if my brother wanted to decorate a second Gruffalo cookie, why on earth can't he...

The Father Christmas set up used Trick or Treat wood as per, which meant there's about 5 or 6 different Father Christmases, and it wasn't disguised very well.  The presents given to the child consisted of a choice of some cheap, discontinued Chessington tat (a basketball, a notepad, a small teddy or some stickers), none of which were wrapped up, which is very much a substandard grotto.  Adults got a free hot drink (which was easily the most watered down hot chocolate I've ever had) and gingerbread cookie.  

So yeah, not a great event.  My brother enjoyed it enough (mostly because he got to ride Gruffalo far too many times), but that doesn't excuse the poor standard.  Not that I think anyone else on here is in the target market for this, but yeah, avoid.  

On 12/22/2017 at 5:54 PM, BaronC. said:

hardly sets the world on fire.

Should just set the park on fire, failing that, the management.

That sounds disgusting my friend, I'm sorry you had to witness it. Nice to hear that 20 pound charge for annual pass holders is being put to good use...

Chessington have remained open today for what is their first day of the main season.  Due to the weather, only indoor attractions are open and anyone who bought a ticket for today can still visit, and get a free ticket to return valid until May.

23 hours ago, BaronC. said:

Chessington have remained open today for what is their first day of the main season.  Due to the weather, only indoor attractions are open and anyone who bought a ticket for today can still visit, and get a free ticket to return valid until May.

Same again today.

Fair play to the park for opening and doing what they can, plus the free return ticket.

I can't quite believe hearing that they've removed the 3D glasses from Hocus Pocus Hall.  They have guests paying a small fortune to come in yet they can't even be bothered to maintain guest experience on their attractions?

Absolutely shocking.

Visited the park in the silly weather yesterday and had quite a good trip out.

Not enough praise is being thrown their way for opening and putting on a brave face despite the spitey weather, so I shall give them credit. Well done Chessington! 

5 hours ago, Mega-Lite said:

Visited the park in the silly weather yesterday and had quite a good trip out.

Not enough praise is being thrown their way for opening and putting on a brave face despite the spitey weather, so I shall give them credit. Well done Chessington! 

I second that after also being at the park yesterday. The staff who had the unfortunate job of being outside were all friendly, smiling and not complaining or fussing. 

I was there yesterday too. :P Felt like there were more staff than visitors and felt sorry for the ones on the stalls. Had a good day, Gruffalo is definitely the best ride there now. It was all working nicely. Have loads of £10 entry vouchers valid for a few months if anyone wants any. I’m tempted to bring my own 3D glasses just for Hocus Pocus Hall as it’s really crap without any.

Seems like quite a few of us were there!

Was feeling a bit delicate after a lot of alcohol the night before and it was bloody freezing :lol: I think we only spent about 2 hours there before we had to go home to defrost :P The staff in general seemed cheery despite the weather, in particular the staff on Tomb were good fun :) Although I didn’t appreciate the miserable looking guy at Hocus Pocus closing the door as we approached and making us freeze outside for no reason (I mean there’s no way it would’ve been full or the people inside would’ve been waiting long, if at all)! Still, it was nice to actually go to Chessie on a completely dead day, rather than having to constantly meander around kids and endless buggies :ph34r: Was weird/quite eerie walking around a silent Transylvania (I’ll always call it that)!

Here’s some snowy tigery rocky photos:

c4ad8c057913973316cfe2c7fe924b06.jpg

f248169cb1c51eb1db5dc437b358a6a3.jpg

New, extremely lifelike theming outside Vampire...

35155541272e2512a0f64d18045803a0.jpg

Also, do you think I was given enough of these? :P

e9ce09cebcea978c12ffc9c9bed566d3.jpg

I’m tempted to bring my own 3D glasses just for Hocus Pocus Hall as it’s really crap without any.

14e174b39dc9286a95b7f3ec678b45f0.jpg

Sorted.