Alton Towers General Discussion

themeparkmad

That's where the hypocrisy comes in. Of course you can still visit Towers. But if the 6 ride closure happens which you are clearly set against and then still go after saying you won't you would be being a hypocrite.

Many times before you've said you wouldn't visit Thorpe as much as it's not worth it with the one train ops etc then you visit and come back complaining about one train ops. If it really bothers you that much then stop visiting, and if it doesn't bother you enough to actually stop you going then stop giving unconstructive feedback about the parks.

That's where the hypocrisy comes in. Of course you can still visit Towers. But if the 6 ride closure happens which you are clearly set against and then still go after saying you won't you would be being a hypocrite.

Many times before you've said you wouldn't visit Thorpe as much as it's not worth it with the one train ops etc then you visit and come back complaining about one train ops. If it really bothers you that much then stop visiting, and if it doesn't bother you enough to actually stop you going then stop giving unconstructive feedback about the parks.

Again, find me an example of where I have said I won't visit Thorpe and there may be some truth in what you're saying, otherwise the point is invalid. I have complained about the park, but to my memory I haven't flat-out said I won't visit.

Just to add, if you are talking about visiting less, my visits were reduced in 2015 compared to 2014.

Regarding Alton, it's case of not taking things literally - I won't choose to visit if six rides are closed, but if it turns out that a group of friends ask me to go, or my family decides to go, I'm not going to say "sorry but I said I wouldn't visit on TPM so I can't make it."

Enough! Please keep discussion to Alton Towers rather than which appears to be another dig at Jamie. If you find there is hypocrisy or annoyance in another member here then please take that to private chat or ignore rather than bring the discussion down in the thread. It saddens me that there are people taking part who should know better and be giving an example rather than encourage it :(

• 2 weeks later...

It probably isn't a coincidence. Towers would just say there was a delay in confirming it. Now they've started showing all the nice things they're doing on TLC they'll probably announce it as they'll be able to counteract it with "but hey look at what we've done, and the rides we've closed will get the same treatment" etc. We all know what 6 rides are closing, all I want to know is when Smiler will reopen and the actual closing times. 

Anyone mentioned all the other work towers are doing at the moment? Re painted Ice Age queue, Work being done clearing up Battle Gallions, Wood cutters repaint seem to be busy zebras at the momentos.

I've seen their Twitter feed, it's great to see so much work going into revitalising the park and it should hopefully look great this year!

Don't you think that all of that work is just standard closed season maintenance?

This is being dressed up as restorations, when it's actually work you will find in every one of the Merlin parks in winter.

I actually find it pretty insulting how they're dressing all this TLC thing up. Shutters being painted brown, I couldn't care less about (why would we see the shutters anyway, unless there's more to be closed this season), Ice Age is actually a step backwards and was no doubt painted one colour by a seasonal member of staff doing winter works.. Nothing more.

Thank goodness for the ACTUAL work they're doing on Nemesis, which also demonstrates they CAN do big jobs like this in winter, so begs the question why they would need to close anything during the season after all?

Don't you think that all of that work is just standard closed season maintenance?

This is being dressed up as restorations, when it's actually work you will find in every one of the Merlin parks in winter.

I actually find it pretty insulting how they're dressing all this TLC thing up. Shutters being painted brown, I couldn't care less about (why would we see the shutters anyway, unless there's more to be closed this season), Ice Age is actually a step backwards and was no doubt painted one colour by a seasonal member of staff doing winter works.. Nothing more.

Thank goodness for the ACTUAL work they're doing on Nemesis, which also demonstrates they CAN do big jobs like this in winter, so begs the question why they would need to close anything during the season after all?

I agree to an extent, but I quite like closed season updates - although advertising shutters being painted is a bit laughable.  After looking at an older photo, Ice Age looked much nicer before with the detailed fence rather than just plain blue!

As for painting being standard closed season maintenence, it should be, but Alton was looking very shabby in the past couple of years so hopefully this will help to give the park a much needed refresh.

The bigger refurbishments such as repainting Nemesis are worth advertising IMO.

I agree, although am disgusted how it's come under this deceiving TLC 'brand'. If they do confirm all those closed rides, this TLC will be the smoke screen. Basically turning the negative ride downtime into a positive 'but we're making them better', when it's total BS, it looks better making out they're updating, rather than budget cuts from our day out. It's deceiving and I can just imagine the bosses in a meeting talking about it.

So far, aside from Nemesis, I haven't seen any real TLC (heck, Chessington are way in front with Tomb and Vampire).

At least we can agree that Nemesis is fantastic, although I can see right through this TLC crap. If they confirm all the ride downtime under TLC, I won't visit this year as I find it utterly insulting.

The problem is that TLC is being used as a marketing tool because of the poor performance last year...

Compare that to parks who do exactly the same thing every season and show it off on social media with little to no fanfare...

I have repeatedly said this over the past few years. TLC should be an on-going thing. not a spring clean once every 10 years.

TLC is not a 1 year thing. The park are looking it having at as a permanent part of what they deliver and offer every year - which is good news, because Benin is right that this sort of thing should be typical of a normal year, not a special occasion. This year, there's so much going on around Alton Towers that you could be forgiven for thinking it was an EP maintenance programme. It's almost alien to see this sort of level of refurbishment at Alton!

The Nemesis re-paint is not all being done this winter, because the cost is too great and it is an enormous job. They have already spent the best part of £150,000 on Nemesis alone and the rest of it will have to wait - especially with everything else going on in Dark Forest, Cloud Cuckoo Land etc. There is also new audio coming to many areas, which will be heard in March.

It's easy to assume that TLC is some smoke and mirrors thing, but really - the park are making every effort to improve things across the entire place to make it better for guests after the low ebb of 2015.

When TLC was announced some people wrote it off as a lie. Hopefully the massive range of images posted on the Twitter feed have at least re-assured people that they are trying, and are spending, on this sort of stuff.

The closed rides at AT this year have not been announced - it is out of AT's hands and totally in those of Merlin.

TLC is not a 1 year thing. The park are looking it having at as a permanent part of what they deliver and offer every year - which is good news, because Benin is right that this sort of thing should be typical of a normal year, not a special occasion. This year, there's so much going on around Alton Towers that you could be forgiven for thinking it was an EP maintenance programme. It's almost alien to see this sort of level of refurbishment at Alton!

The Nemesis re-paint is not all being done this winter, because the cost is too great and it is an enormous job. They have already spent the best part of £150,000 on Nemesis alone and the rest of it will have to wait - especially with everything else going on in Dark Forest, Cloud Cuckoo Land etc. There is also new audio coming to many areas, which will be heard in March.

It's easy to assume that TLC is some smoke and mirrors thing, but really - the park are making every effort to improve things across the entire place to make it better for guests after the low ebb of 2015.

When TLC was announced some people wrote it off as a lie. Hopefully the massive range of images posted on the Twitter feed have at least re-assured people that they are trying, and are spending, on this sort of stuff.

The closed rides at AT this year have not been announced - it is out of AT's hands and totally in those of Merlin.

When you say the nemesis repaint, do you mean the track as well!?